Oleg

Greetings from Old Bridge, NJ

Call and ask, the ladies in the records department have always been nice to me.

I asked if the "new" online Background checks make things faster and she said yes. Usually with old bridge I wait just under 60 days, let's see what "faster" means.

about 2 years ago when I did my initial fid with them they had mailed it in 31 days

I frequent the OB records bureau with constant applications for more permits. (About 3 times a year)

I have never gotten them back that quickly. My fastest is about 45 days, average is about 60.

So when she said it's faster I hope this puts it in the 30 day window somewhere. But she did say "they were backed up"

Also, they are using the new computer generated permits and not the old ones, so now they won't mail them, they must be picked up and signed.

I frequent the OB records bureau with constant applications for more permits. (About 3 times a year)

I have never gotten them back that quickly. My fastest is about 45 days, average is about 60.

So when she said it's faster I hope this puts it in the 30 day window somewhere. But she did say "they were backed up"

Also, they are using the new computer generated permits and not the old ones, so now they won't mail them, they must be picked up and signed.

Oh, I moved back to Edison. Just picked up 3 permits yesterday along with my new fid. That took about 5-6 weeks

Welcome, fellow Old Bridger here. My HG permit wait is typically 2 months. I usually have to place a few phones around the 1.5 month mark in order to facilitate movement. Of course I'm very polite and respectful, yet assertive.

Make sure you apply for new HG permits at least twice a year. They have some silly timer now where if you haven't had a permit after a certian period, they make you go through fingerprinting again. Its just a form of harassment if you ask me, I haven't heard of any situation where your fingerprints change over time.

Welcome, fellow Old Bridger here. My HG permit wait is typically 2 months. I usually have to place a few phones around the 1.5 month mark in order to facilitate movement. Of course I'm very polite and respectful, yet assertive.

Make sure you apply for new HG permits at least twice a year. They have some silly timer now where if you haven't had a permit after a certian period, they make you go through fingerprinting again. Its just a form of harassment if you ask me, I haven't heard of any situation where your fingerprints change over time.

If you are inactive for 2 years they require new prints.

My experience with Old Bridge has been pretty good. Initial FID and p2p took 90 days. Permits since then have ranged from 4 to 12 weeks.

Ah 2 years isn't bad. I could have sworn the last time I went it was 1 year. It was awhile ago, so who knows. They can basically change their mind at will. I suppose there is some evidence out there that has fingerprints changing every 2 years, but as long as you get permits within 2 year periods, your fingerprints will stay the same.

Actually, according to the NJSP,

"(g13:54-1.4) An applicant for a handgun purchase permit who possesses a valid firearms purchaser identification card, or who has previously obtained a handgun purchase permit from the same licensing authority for which he or she was previously fingerprinted, and who provides other reasonable satisfactory proof of his or her identity, in the discretion of the chief of police or Superintendent, need not be fingerprinted again. In such case, the chief of police or superintendent shall otherwise fully investigate the application in accordance with this subchapter."

So technically your chief of police can waive the additional fingerprinting after the inactive 2 years, so long as you have a firearms ID card.

I'm about 60 day average too.

I will keep everyone posted as to time frame with the "new" way they are doing them. She said it would be "faster"

also from  old bridge and  new to the forums just wanted to say hey and  comment on the id card / pistol permit time.

i downloaded the forms online, filled them out and dropped them off at the records dept. at that time they gave me the ref. letter and the fingerprint forms. she told me my file would not be submitted until i returned with those papers. i completed those and dropped them off  a week later  on a tuesday by the following thursday i had my id card and pistol permit. couldnt believe it was that quick dont know how or why but i was happy about it. 

Welcome to forum!

I guess I am so much fun they just love to keep seeing me there. This is the only reasonable explanation why they still did not issue my fpid 2+ months later :(

Probably soon. They usually average about 90 days for the initial.

also from  old bridge and  new to the forums just wanted to say hey and  comment on the id card / pistol permit time.

i downloaded the forms online, filled them out and dropped them off at the records dept. at that time they gave me the ref. letter and the fingerprint forms. she told me my file would not be submitted until i returned with those papers. i completed those and dropped them off  a week later  on a tuesday by the following thursday i had my id card and pistol permit. couldnt believe it was that quick dont know how or why but i was happy about it.

That's awesome. The best I have ever seen from them is 4 weeks.

Initial FID is between 60-90 days.

I applied for a new permit to purchase (P2P) on April 3rd and got it back on 5/22.

Guess that makes 7 weeks. That's about average for them. I believe the ladies in the record department only process permits 3

Days a week.

Got my id and permits! It took 73 days for FID and 2PP.

Now the question is: what is first: .22 or 9mm? .22 with 3.5" or 5+" barrel or something that can be converted to other calibers? Striker or hammer? Questions, decisions...

P.S. No need to discuss those questions :)

Thank you AlexTheSane for a trip to OBRPC outdoor range on Friday afternoon and letting play with his toys. That was fun.

Notes to myself:
- there is a point in a single shot weapons: ammo will not go that fast :)
- following all safety rules is not easy [at least for newbie].