fishnut

What to do with nuisance wildlife

I am writing this post in response to the 2 recent threads about nuisance wildlife..  As some have pointed out most of the reply's offering advice are wrong, illegal and inhumane. Just so you people know that animal cruelty is a criminal offense and if found guilty you could possibly loose your gun rights and even your freedom. I am an Animal Control Officer, Animal Cruelty Investigator and a licensed Pest Control Tech just to give you an idea of my background. 

N.J.A.C. 7:25-5.12 states that Property owners and occupants of dwellings or their agents in writing may control property DAMAGE by lawful means when suffering such Damage from Squirrels, raccoons, opossums, skunks, weasel, coyote, fox and woodchuck.

What 7:25-5.21 means it that if your property is sustaining damage from any of those species they can be legally removed and possibly relocated of properly euthanized. The emphasis is on damage! An animal getting into your garbage can is not damage nor is an animal eating you personal garden. Damage is for example a squirrel or raccoon rip a hole in your shed or roof to gain access or a woodchuck digging holes in your yard.

What you can legally do if the nuisance animal is damaging your property

You can always higher a pest control company to do the dirty work and keep it all legal or you are entitled to solve the problem your self.(if you want to higher a company PM me if you are within 1 hour of Flemington)

If you choose to do it your self here is what you can do legally.

1- Using any live trap method such as a "have a heart" style trap. Trap the nuisance animal (for tips on trapping PM me) 

2-  As long as the animal appear to be healthy and uninjured any mammal can be released up to tow miles away from the trapping site. However it is illegal to release any nuisance on public, county or state property. You may only release mammals on private property with written permission!

3- If you can not get permission to release a mammal on private property the only other legal option it to euthanize the animal. If the animal is to be euthanized the guidelines on euthanasia set by the AVMA must be followed. Drowning is not a legal option nor is it humane! If your town does not have a no discharge policy you may shoot them. 

4- Make sure the trapped animal is not a nursing mother before it is euthanized!

What you can do if you have a nuisance animal but the animals are not damaging the property 

1- Secure your garbage cans! Tight fitting and or locking lids work well as does keeping the cans in a garage or a garbage can enclosure work well.

2- Chimney Caps- you should have one no matter what its stupid not to

3- Remove all food sources! Stop feeding the stray cats (its illegal anyway) Secure your compost pile to prevent access, Remove bird feeders or hang it in such a way to prevent access to it other that birds. Clean up wind falls from fruit bearing trees, Properly fence your garden.

4- Deterrents-  Used kitty litter, Dehydrated fox or coyote urine all work well but must be applied every time it rains. constant loud music played as close to the area the animal is living can drive an animal away. Motion activated water sprinklers work very well in gardens and at garbage cans.

Please remember that the animals were here first and to them we are the nuisance animals to them. If an animal must be killed do it with respect and do not make the animal suffer!

If anyone has any questions regarding nuisance wildlife please fell free to PM me or post here and I will try to help solve your problem legally and humanely  

Yeah. Still say. .22. Shoot first ask questions later. "I aint got time for that"

Im cool with that, the Vegan animal activist freak next door to you may not be. Like I said in the other thread. Keep what you do to yourself. Talking about it is how most people get caught.

Sent using Tapatalk 2 NOW FREE!!!

What about deer? I have a major deer problem, like a herd of 15 deer shitting and pissing in my small backyard. I even contracted Lyme disease last year (I always check for ticks). These PITAs were not here before me, they were elsewhere until the state decided to deforest a few hundred acres and build a hospital.

Thats when you buy a crossbow and make good friends with the neighbors. You only need to be 150' from any frequently visiting building to use a bow. If your neighbors give you written permission your good to go within that distance.

Thats when you buy a crossbow and make good friends with the neighbors. You only need to be 150' from any frequently visiting building to use a bow. If your neighbors give you written permission your good to go within that distance.

Interesting. I will have followup questions.

The last time i released a groundhog was on town property. Cop drove up, asked what we were doing, said releasing a groundhog. He walked up and said "Those guys are mean little bastards. As long as he;'s not near my house I'm fine with it"

Watched us release it and drove off.

FWIW, I'm in PA.

That being said, I'm not sitting here with 30 round PMAGs and freedom stacked to the ceiling saying "Neener neener your commie laws don't apply to me!", but I don't think I advocated anything illegal. (or immoral for that matter) I just want the SOBs away from my foundation,

What about deer? I have a major deer problem, like a herd of 15 deer shitting and pissing in my small backyard. I even contracted Lyme disease last year (I always check for ticks). These PITAs were not here before me, they were elsewhere until the state decided to deforest a few hundred acres and build a hospital.

The biggest carrier of deer ticks are mice and squirrels. If you have a cat that goes in and out they will bring those little bastard ticks inside. If the deer really have you pissed shoot me a pm, I'm a fence guy.

Night prowler hit the nail right on the head. Field mice are the #1 carrier of ticks especially deer ticks and most people who spend a large amount of time outdoors in NJ do contract Lyme disease.

Knuckle Sandwich- As for the deer if your bothered by some deer shit in your yard a fence is the solution. Hit up Night prowler he can help you out. Also as someone else suggested Bow hunting during the season will help but will not guarantee that no deer will get in to your yard like a proper fence can. Also remember with hunting if the deer runs after being shot which most do with bow hunting you will need written permission for every property you have to track through and the property the deer dies on in order to retrieve it. 

The biggest carrier of deer ticks are mice and squirrels. If you have a cat that goes in and out they will bring those little bastard ticks inside. If the deer really have you pissed shoot me a pm, I'm a fence guy.

No cats, or animals of any kind... Well, except for the 15 deer that congregate in my yard like a bunch of teenagers at the 7-11. How high would a fence have to be to stop a deer?

Night prowler hit the nail right on the head. Field mice are the #1 carrier of ticks especially deer ticks and most people who spend a large amount of time outdoors in NJ do contract Lyme disease.

Knuckle Sandwich- As for the deer if your bothered by some deer shit in your yard a fence is the solution. Hit up Night prowler he can help you out. Also as someone else suggested Bow hunting during the season will help but will not guarantee that no deer will get in to your yard like a proper fence can. Also remember with hunting if the deer runs after being shot which most do with bow hunting you will need written permission for every property you have to track through and the property the deer dies on in order to retrieve it. 

My outside time is comprised of yard work. At the time I contracted Lyme it was mid to late July, so that means mowing once a week. Guess I'm just lucky. :unknw:

As far as hunting them, I'd have to get permission from quite a few neighbors anyway to make up the 3 acres required for bow hunting. Based on the cursing and honking most of them do, I'd wager most would be ok with it, but who knows, I'll have to figure out if it's worth it. Lots of things to consider.

Knuckle Sandwich all depends on the area, style and how much pressure there is from them. Privacy type fence 5' would work. If they can't see what's on the other side they won't jump it. If it's any kind of fence with openings 6-8' A smaller area and neighbors without a fence it's easier to go next door and you can get away with less.

And the pussification continues. Do I need a permit or a catch and release for a mouse in my house?

Just another thought...need to hire someone to get rid of a varmint. Really? This is same thought as you need to hire a LEO every time a business owner wants to make a cash deposit instead of allowing them the AMERICAN way of taking care of things himself. Fish Stocking pond...no way according to the EPA. Woodstove....how dare you want to be self sufficient? Get rid of pests on  your own? No way...spend hundreds of dollars on a vermin instead of paying your bills, putting food on the table or anything else.

Fishnut...are you a vegan? If not, it could be argued you are a hypocrite.

My son has a mandatory project from high school --  Topic was random but picked for him -  Some type of essay on -- Animal Rights

I said thats easy --  They are animals -- They have no rights -- essay finished

Sometimes I just don't understand

Wojo- No I am not a vegan in fact I am a licensed hunter. I don't see how you think I am a hypocrite. I was informing everyone of the LAW I don't know how you do not realize that. I even informed you of how you can legally kill nuisance animals on your own property. I guess you did not read my entire post. I never said you could not kill a pest on your own property you just have to do it humanely and legally. What problem do you have with that? Or are you the type of person who likes to drown animals and you get some sick satisfaction out of it. I am sorry its not the American way to torture animals.

My son has a mandatory project from high school --  Topic was random but picked for him -  Some type of essay on -- Animal Rights

I said thats easy --  They are animals -- They have no rights -- essay finished

Sometimes I just don't understand

Of COURSE they have rights!  They have the right to be my dinner!

Pull up your panties and relax. I don't torture. Single shot kills. My point is that I NEED to hire someone to handle a pest. Really? As a society we 'humanize' every frigging thing. At what point can we act like humans again?

Again you don't have to hire someone if you can follow the euthanasia guidelines legally. Shooting an animal in the brain is an acceptable method of euthanasia for all animals in NJ. I just don't think it's cool to try to kill an animal with an inhumane method that causes pain and suffering like many have suggested such as gassing, poisoning, or drowning. Many of those methods could not work properly and just leave the animal severely injured.

Again you don't have to hire someone if you can follow the euthanasia guidelines legally. Shooting an animal in the brain is an acceptable method of euthanasia for all animals in NJ.

Are there any other legal dispatch methods? --  my town has a no discharge ordinance

Do pest control guys use a garbage can and a bottle of CO2 or is that a myth?  Legal? 

Heavyopp- Co2 gas chambers are also a legal method of euthanasia. My pest control company does have a Co2 gas chamber but a garbage can or other similar container will work the same. Just make sure you put the animal in, seal the chamber and then introduce the Co2. The animal will slowly go to sleep and then die peacefully. If you introduce the Co2 first and then put the animal it  will struggle and suffer before it dies much like drowning.