edwill86

crazy Pseg bill

JCP&L here and ours has been insane.

1200.00 last month and 1000.00 month before and so on

these f'ers been charging us the estimated costs for few months.

We bitched and they sent someone out to check meters and got it down to $750 this past month which is still insane. I don't get why they get away with not reading meters but instead using some insane math formula that's always wrong month after month.

Propane heat w/ boiler

JCP&L here and ours has been insane.

1200.00 last month and 1000.00 month before and so on

these f'ers been charging us the estimated costs for few months.

We bitched and they sent someone out to check meters and got it down to $750 this past month which is still insane. I don't get why they get away with not reading meters but instead using some insane math formula that's always wrong month after month

$750.00?  Good god! what are you running ?.....I have a set plan with a energy supplier and pay .11 cents/kh and we have seen a higher bill this winter but everything including heating is electrical and I came in at $245.00 last month.

Granted I have a very humble 1200 square feet on one floor but $750.00 seems a bit much.

$750.00?  Good god! what are you running ?.....I have a set plan with a energy supplier and pay .11 cents/kh and we have seen a higher bill this winter but everything including heating is electrical and I came in at $245.00 last month.

Granted I have a very humble 1200 square feet on one floor but $750.00 seems a bit much.

2 houses on our farm

1 oil heat 1 propane

2 electric water heaters

2 fridges

2 set of washer dryers

2 TV's and components

2 PC's with modems etc..

2 microwaves

a few lights @ night

a well

we did run a few extra space heaters at times when it was below freezing to keep pipes from freezing

Our bill is usually 3-400

but I think since its been extremely cold thing were working harder

2 houses on our farm

1 oil heat 1 propane

2 electric water heaters

2 fridges

2 set of washer dryers

2 TV's and components

2 PC's with modems etc..

2 microwaves

a few lights @ night

a well

we did run a few extra space heaters at times when it was below freezing to keep pipes from freezing

Our bill is usually 3-400

but I think since its been extremely cold thing were working harder

Never mind....you got a lot going on but still, that's quite a nut.

i have electric water heater, washer/dryer and stove...  only my heating fuel is oil..   with that said, my electric bill was approx $175 last month.  add in the average use/cost of oil from the last month (if it were a monthly bill), it would probably have been closer to $300 or $350

My house is a cape thats uninsulated on the first floor,half of the upstairs is gutted ,no insulation. My elec last month was 78 my gas bill is usually around 190-200 .elec cook top big fridge

3 cable boxes and the usual other crap with the annoying led lights. I don't feel so bad after reading this. 1400 sf

My house is a cape thats uninsulated on the first floor,half of the upstairs is gutted ,no insulation. My elec last month was 78 my gas bill is usually around 190-200 .elec cook top big fridge

3 cable boxes and the usual other crap with the annoying led lights. I don't feel so bad after reading this. 1400 sf

What do you keep your heat at? 40? Sounds awfully cheap considering you said you have an uninsulated first floor and the top floor is half gutted.

Anyone else notice how crazy high the electric bills are this winter ?  We have a solar system that gives us a lower rate on our bill but its still the same as if it where July with the ac running all day. Its getting kind of nuts.

Under obama's cap and trade plan, electric rates would have to necessarily skyrocket...

I have 1700 sq ft , temp at a steady 70 degrees . My bill just arrived and total was 170 . This includes gas and electric . I have seen an increase . I fully renovated my house and put insulation r19 on the exterior walls and r30 in attic . Was a costly investment but has been saving me during these times.

Here's another observation. The above poster said his heat is steady at 70. I did the same thing one winter and only lowered the temp 2 degrees when I went to work and my bills were less than when I used to drop the temp a lot when I was gone. Its impossible to compare year to year due to temp fluctuations but I did the same thing with my AC that year too and once again my bill was lower than when I turned the temp up when I was gone for more than an hour. They say it's more efficient to maintain the temp vs raising or lowering it when you leave and I tend to agree due to my experience yet I've read thearguments against and it sounds like they might be correct too. Any opinions?

I have gas baseboard heating, and it seems to me to work better at a steady temperature. When I turned it down and then up when I went to work it was slightly cheaper but u felt the system was worker harder to reheat the house .

My PSEG bill is about the same as last year. I have a question for those who's bill's jumped up are you completely on PSEG or a separate electric supplier? My place is a 2 floor apt. at about 1200 square ft. We have the normal amount of electronic electric alliances and an electric drier. 

Its impossible to compare year to year due to temp fluctuations

It's not impossible.  In fact it's not even hard.  Utilizing heating degree days you can easily compare year to year fluctuations.  The hardest part is keeping all the bills together in one place in my disorganized hovel.

See if we had eletric heat and appliances our bill would make sense. But we have a gas fired water heater, boiler, stove ,and dryer. We have actually changed our light bulbs, set timers, and set electronics and cable boxes to sleep after an hour or so this year.  Its getting nuts. 

Have you considered checking the meter?  Something is not making sense.  Sometimes meters go out of calibration...  Or you have some severely parasitic loads.  Or someone is stealing electric from you.

Or you've got grow lights. Countdown to DEA raid in 3... 2... 1...

What do you keep your heat at? 40? Sounds awfully cheap considering you said you have an uninsulated first floor and the top floor is half gutted.

I have my Tstat at 64 and it maintains 65. I also have to layers of old siding which is helping .Cast iron radiators also help because they hold the heat.

Ordering materials for a dormer this week. Insulating the entire house second floor first then basically a room at a time as i gut and hang new drywall.

Should be a tad more efficient when i'm done.

Have you considered checking the meter? Something is not making sense. Sometimes meters go out of calibration... Or you have some severely parasitic loads. Or someone is stealing electric from you.

Or you've got grow lights. Countdown to DEA raid in 3... 2... 1...

Lol. We are going to call Pseg and complain and see what they do. Something is def up. The only new thing we have is the gun safe and I have a hard time believing the stick heater we hooked up in it is drawing 100 a month extra in power.