Sign in to follow this  
edwill86

lever action suggestions

My mom has a Winchester 30 30 wells Fargo lever action and really loves it but hates the caliber. Its not fun for her to shoot for more then a few rounds. Its turned In to a safe queen over the past 3 years.

She still wants a lever action but one she can shoot every time we hit the range and have fun. Also if ammo is not to much that would be good. She gets bored of shooting the 10/22 and 22 pistol pretty quickly but I might be able to convince her on a 22. Any suggestions on caliber and models?

The Rossi 92 and/or Marlin Lever 1894 rifles in 357mag are terrific. She can shoot 38 special out of them and not be bothered by recoil. They are accurate and fun to shoot. 

Personally I prefer the Rossi. I think the action is much smoother than the Marlin. You won't go wrong, especially if you decide on a Marlin you get an older one. 

At this point, take what you can find.

Marlins are VERY difficult to come by.  And although when Remington took them over there were some initial QC issues, for the most part they have been resolved.  The guns are quite nice.  Sometimes, I wish I hadn't sold mine...

C

At this point, take what you can find.

Marlins are VERY difficult to come by.  And although when Remington took them over there were some initial QC issues, for the most part they have been resolved.  The guns are quite nice.  Sometimes, I wish I hadn't sold mine...

C

I know i suggested an older Marlin, but I did recently buy a new Marlin 1895 lever gun in 45-70 (I would not recommend this for your mom :)) for a hog hunt. The gun is put together very well and the fit & finish are good. My Marlin 357 from about 5 years ago was a different story. Topher is probably right about the Remington built Marlins improving their quality control. 

Depends on budget Rossi rifles average in the $400 to just under $500 Henry's average around $650 to over $700. Most Rossi guns are loaded by the sidegate most Henry are loaded by the tube [pull out from top]. 357 / 38 , 44 mag / 44 special , 45 colt if you don,t reload look for cowboy loads. The Henry will hold more resale value. I personally own 2 Rossi's 357/38, 45/454  & own a Henry 22lr 

Pistol caliber lever is a good thought. If she is averse to a .22LR lever, check out a Henry in .17 HMR. May be a better alternative since .22 LR is still tough to find - more punch too.

No to convince her to sell that wells Fargo and all that 30 30 ammo lol.

Why sell it? Yes the commemorative are not that rare, and yes the Wells Fargo is a '77 so one of the "worst" configurations in that it is a post-64 before all the fixes, but its not like there are a lot of new 94's being made. My understanding is that the WF has nice wood and finish and if you want a new 94 would cost you over $1000 nowdays, assuming they exist and not just a catalog item.

I'd say keep it. 94's are wonderfully handy rifles.

Now I need to schedule some time and go shoot my 1954 vintage 94.

If we shot it in the past 2 years I'd agree. But right now we have owned it for 3 years and its not left the safe in 2 years. Last time it left the safe we hit the range and shot everything but the wf. Plus my dad horded a bit of ammo for it so its all a waste of space and cash we could spend on something we will acutally shoot.

I love my Henry H001 in .22LR, and I'm planning on adding ....some lever in .357/.38, and possibly something in either .17HMR or .22mag.  My Henry is a lot of fun when I visit the rimfire range, but if your mother is bored of other .22 rifles, something with a bit more oomph might be a better bet.

I just brought my girlfriend to the range for her first time, and she liked the .22LR guns, but really loved my .17HMR most of all...