302w

Hey LEOs, what longarms do your departments have?

I originally had this titled what NFA stuff do your departments have, but I know someone would be quick to point out LEOs don't abide by NFA.

I've always been curious what people are/aren't using. I always figured most patrol cars had something in them, but apparently it isn't the case with everyone. NYPD for example doesn't have rifles/shotguns in all cars. I always thought it was interesting how LEOs got free M16A1s/A2s from Uncle Sam but they were so restricted on what they can/can't do with them. 

The only time I've seen a LEO with a rifle was in my schools parking deck. An NJIT LEO was playing with something H&K out the back of a Crown Vic, I asked him what model it was after he was done screwing around with it but he seemed pretty angry that I asked lol. 

A mix of AR15's in many config's, H&K's (UMP's, MP5's, compact sub's), all types of shotguns from battered old 870's to new 590's, and usually reach-out-and-touch-you scoped rifles like 700's if it isn't an AR15 or 10. All depends on the departments budget, their applications, how military they think they are, etc.

The fact that Flemington boro bought [i believe they were] UMP's is a nice example.

Just wondering what the restrictions you heard were placed on 1033 program m16 a1/a2's.

I've heard it referred to as the DMO program or something along those lines, whatever the case may be..

The US Federal Government still claims ownership over the rifles, and requires verification that the rifles are still in possession yearly or so. They're very strict on what modifications can/cannot be made, and I'm pretty sure almost nothing can be done to them. The rifles cannot be sold, transferred, whatever. Can't swap out parts, although I think you can swap hand guards or something along those lines. When the rifles are no longer needed, they get sent back to Uncle Sam and presumably destroyed. I believe that the fun switches are neutered.

I lurk the M16 Retro section on arfcom, and there are a decent number of LEOs that post up their departments' stash of M16A1s. A lot of them are brand new looking rifles that still have the inspectors ink stamp on them, which I find strange. I really don't understand why they are loaned to LEOs when a lot of really rough looking M16A1s were converted to A2 configuration with new uppers, stocks, LPKs, and the AUTO milled over and BURST stamped in. Then again, I don't understand why they destroyed a bunch more either. I understand they don't want them getting into civvie hands, but it seems like for every rifle that is crunched, there is one being sent to Iraqi forces, or a new one being made by FN/Colt. 

Cant see them unless you squat down and look in up at the roof. One of my buddies is on the job, and stopped in the driveway when he saw me outside a few weeks ago. I knelt down to the passenger window to say whats up, thats when I noticed it. I immediately asked is that a PS90 SBR up there? He isn't much of a gun guy he said "I think so" lol. Then I asked if it was FA, he said yes sir it is. Then i told him jokingly if he ever had to come knock on my door to collect my stuff he better bring more than that. Since he has seen a portion of my collection b4 he came back with "yeah I know I wouldn't attempt it, they don't pay me enough to try disarming you". That was good to hear.

Sent using Tapatalk 2 NOW FREE!!!

I fired a ump 9 a while ago. Wasnt super impressed. Anyone here use them have any thoughts?

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

I don't think they were ever designed to be impressive. They were certainly aiming for a price point, which is why I guess you see so many people here saying their department has one.

IIRC we had 2 MP-5's, 1 Bushmaster 10" SMG with an AAC Supressor. 2 Benelli M-1 Entry Shotguns, a Dozen and a half Mossberg 590's, 3 Remington Model 70 DMR's  and 15 1033 Program M-16A1's   10 of the A-1's had the uppers and stocks changed to bring them into M-4 specs, the others remained as A-1's  the original plan was supposed to Swap out the FCGs to AR parts and make them Semi-only and out them out as Patrol Rifles (Yeah i know, Pool rifles are bullshit...but compared to NOTHING...) But that didnt happen as of my retirement and i dont see it ever happening frankly.  Now, in the 50's, 60's and 70's, we had 4 BAR's 18@ Thompson and Reising SMG's, and a Dozen full 37mm Setups Mixed S&W and Federal Labs.  All of that stuff got traded in in the late 60's and 70's for other, more "Appropriate' assorted firearms over the years, including 870's, Ruger Security-sixes, and eventually S&W 681's, until we went Glock in 1992

I knew they had a couple, but I didn't know it was in every patrol car.

they only ever have 4 maybe 5 cars out patrolling every shift. Each squad has 5 guys with a road sarge, that may or may not be out on patrol also. So I would bet there is a good chance out of the 4 cars patrolling at any one time they probably all have one. If not a shotgun instead. They kill a lot of deer hit by cars around town, not 100% sure they always use their H&K 9mm for that. I assume they grab a long gun instead.

Sent using Tapatalk 2 NOW FREE!!!