locochinoloco

Attending first USPSA at OBRPC ... any tips?

So, my wife and I and possibility FumanChu182 will be attending our first USPSA match at OB this Sunday,  3/23/2014.

I noticed there were posts where we should "sign up" online some where?  I couldn't find it on the http://www.obcats.com/portal/viewpage.php?page_id=4

How many mags does one need?

Also, are we allowed to pick up our own brass?

Click on green "here" on obcats.com site.

Also most if not all your answers could be answered in previous posts regarding Uspsa matches.

5 mags and 250-300 rounds and yes you can pick up your brass once targets are taped and scored.

Show up around 830, announce yourselves and help out until new shooter briefing.(if 1st Uspsa match)

Bring food and beverages.

Thanks... Just register for me and wifey.  I was so fixated on the other pages looking for information that I've missed the homepage.  LOL

Is anyone else going?  Would be great to have a mentor.   :)

Is 300 rounds per person enough?!?!? LOL

That's why I want to know if my own brass could be picked up... trying to save $$$ here.  

Will bring food and drinks as well... thanks for the heads up... 

Don't squad with Alec, he cheats...........

Squad with Nick, he shoots better than Alec.  :)

Bring chairs to sit on, not a lot of benches and usually a LOT of people.

Listen, listen, and listen. They will guide you. Safety first. Remember to use the Safe Tables and NO AMMO THERE!

Get there early, find the MD (Match Director) and tell him you are new.

I'll be there too. Minimum preach knowledge: guns arrive cased, and unloaded. No snap caps, no laser bore sighters, no spent casings, no dummy rounds, nothing. Don't uncase the guns unless gearing up at the safe tables, or under the direction of an ro when it is you turn to shoot.

No ammo or loaded mags at the safe table. I.e. Don't dump your gear on the safe tables.

When you sign up make sure to tell the sign up guy you are together.

Don't squad with Alec, he cheats...........

Squad with Nick, he shoots better than Alec.  :)

Bring chairs to sit on, not a lot of benches and usually a LOT of people.

Listen, listen, and listen. They will guide you. Safety first. Remember to use the Safe Tables and NO AMMO THERE!

Get there early, find the MD (Match Director) and tell him you are new.

LOL .. how does one "cheat'?

Chairs... checked.

Be there by 830AM... checked.

Not sure how to use the "safe table" .. but I guess I will find out on Sunday.

Odds are I'll be giving you the new shooter intro, and then we try to squad new shooters with experienced shooters to help them along during the match.

Great!  Thanks!

I'll be there too. Minimum preach knowledge: guns arrive cased, and unloaded. No snap caps, no laser bore sighters, no spent casings, no dummy rounds, nothing. Don't uncase the guns unless gearing up at the safe tables, or under the direction of an ro when it is you turn to shoot.

No ammo or loaded mags at the safe table. I.e. Don't dump your gear on the safe tables.

When you sign up make sure to tell the sign up guy you are together.

Hey Raz-O .... thanks again for the tip on the reload.  

Just to clarify...  can the 'case' be a range bag? or I should bring the hard case?  I assume the gun goes back in the case after each stage/turn?

LOL .. how does one "cheat'?

Chairs... checked.

Be there by 830AM... checked.

Not sure how to use the "safe table" .. but I guess I will find out on Sunday.

Great!  Thanks!

I use those special GPS guided bullets,... I know a guy.

Lots of good info, Vlad will go over everything with you in the morning at the new shooter briefing.  

Not knowing you, or your wifes skill set , just generally saying :

Please be familiar with your firearm , drawing from a holster, reloading, clearing jams, shooting on the move,  etc etc.... There have been times where people have shown up to shoot USPSA and I swear to baby jesus it must of been their first time ever handling a firearm. 

Be safe, follow the rules, go fast enough for your comfort level. 

I'm going also and I'm bringing my brother who's also a first timer.

Just listen to briefing provided by Vlad and you should be good. Also, as you step up, just let the RO know that you are new. They will assist you as you go thru the stages. Don't rush and have fun. You will definitely be hooked.

How does one cheat................ Well, when you are the next shooter, go help tape the targets of the previous shooter, and carry a pen to poke holes in the targets while everyone else walking back off the range, then shoot blanks...................   :)

OK, so Alec doesn't cheat..........  He is pretty good, so is Nick. We usually have a NJGF squad that has plenty of experienced shooters on it. The MD decides who gets squaded together. Newbies will always have plenty of guidance, and will never have to shoot first. I pretend to be new, but they still make me shoot first (and I have the mad skillz of a newbie too!)  :)

Have fun, that's what it's all about!

Oh god, don't even try the rule book as a first timer. We'll cover the important bits before you get to shoot.

+1 Vlad is great at the new shooter orientation. I came in green and felt very confident after the briefing.

My opinion: concentrate on fundamentals of safety & the procedure of the sport. Don't worry about scores or time at all. Make sure you really examine the course, and really make sure you are aware of ALL targets. This is something I really struggle with. It sucks having a really smooth run... Only to realize you missed a target (or three)

Find someone on your squad who has a few matches under their belt and ask/let them show you how to shoot each stage. They can give you insight and tips on how to safely shoot each stage. Don't be afraid to ask questions, you will find everyone is a GM in disguise.

There is an indoor action match on Friday night at the OB indoor range -- would be a good intro if you can make it

I plan on Sunday being my 1st outdoor uspsa match too -- been to a few indoor actions this winter --

I'm hoping I'm not a new guy... 

Thanks for all the tips!!!

Please be familiar with your firearm , drawing from a holster, reloading, clearing jams, shooting on the move,  etc etc.... There have been times where people have shown up to shoot USPSA and I swear to baby jesus it must of been their first time ever handling a firearm. 

Be safe, follow the rules, go fast enough for your comfort level. 

We don't experience with shooting on the move... so I guess these matches are where we're going to pick it up.  :)

+1 Vlad is great at the new shooter orientation. I came in green and felt very confident after the briefing.

My opinion: concentrate on fundamentals of safety & the procedure of the sport. Don't worry about scores or time at all. Make sure you really examine the course, and really make sure you are aware of ALL targets. This is something I really struggle with. It sucks having a really smooth run... Only to realize you missed a target (or three)

Good tip! .. thanks!

http://njgunforums.com/forum/index.php/topic/18511-new-to-uspsa/

Watch these videos and if you have a little red wagon or something like that to put your bags and ammo on to haul it around helps.

I've watched a ton of videos... lol... but it's always that little tid bit of information that makes a world of difference.  I see you just got into it as well and already hooked! 

Find someone on your squad who has a few matches under their belt and ask/let them show you how to shoot each stage. They can give you insight and tips on how to safely shoot each stage. Don't be afraid to ask questions, you will find everyone is a GM in disguise.

Don't worry...I ask a plenty of questions... better to be safe than make myself look like an @$$ ... :D

There is an indoor action match on Friday night at the OB indoor range -- would be a good intro if you can make it

I plan on Sunday being my 1st outdoor uspsa match too -- been to a few indoor actions this winter --

I'm hoping I'm not a new guy... 

I don't think we can make it, have errands starting early Saturday in NYC...  but thanks for the info... maybe next time.

Don't worry...I ask a plenty of questions... better to be safe than make myself look like an @$$ ... :D

Don't even worry about looking like an ass we have all had that happen, some more than others, just worry about safe gun handling and take your time on stages. You will have a great time!

Hey Raz-O .... thanks again for the tip on the reload.  

Just to clarify...  can the 'case' be a range bag? or I should bring the hard case?  I assume the gun goes back in the case after each stage/turn?

range bag is fine.