locochinoloco

Attending first USPSA at OBRPC ... any tips?

I didn't know there was actually a certain number of spots.

I really don't want to drive 2 hours and not be able to shoot. 

AS it has been mentioned, there are always people who don't show up.

The reason for the limit is to make sure we finish before dark.

If you want to shoot, come on down, help setup, and I'm pretty sure you will shoot. We like people who help. We like them a lot.

I didn't know there was actually a certain number of spots.

I really don't want to drive 2 hours and not be able to shoot. 

Lou, show up early and help build.  If there were two walk on's...one who helped build, and the other who showed up a 9:30, the guy who helped build gets picked for the final spot.  If that doesn't work then pout and walk away kicking rocks.  Jim'll haveta let you shoot then.  : )

Vlad - I registered but won't be able to make it as I'm going to the Ontelaunee classifier match.  You can give Louu my spot.  Would suck to drive all that way and not shoot.

-Michael Gee (A78561)

I just tried to sign up and it said the match is full, whats the deal?

Uh let's see. First time the match hasn't been canceled since like November. It's supposed to be warmish. I'm guessing the match is full.

There is the possibility they pulled it without being full to set up the arch early, but I'm doubtful.

It was definitely a first fun day for me and the wife.  We arrived at 8am to help and learned about how much work it is to put up the stages and Vlad gave us the briefing and I learned about DQ first hand, because I broke the 180 on stage 5 then I learned about scoring and strategies.  So it was a great day overall.  

Most importantly my wife wants to shoot USPSA again!

It was definitely a first fun day for me and the wife.  We arrived at 8am to help and learned about how much work it is to put up the stages and Vlad gave us the briefing and I learned about DQ first hand, because I broke the 180 on stage 5 then I learned about scoring and strategies.  So it was a great day overall.  

Most importantly my wife wants to shoot USPSA again!

That last sentence says it all - consider it a good day!

Next USPSA match will be Shongum on April 5th - range conditions and weather permitting. Link for the registration will be posted when Ron (the MD) announces that it is on!

For you new people, you will probably find this match a little less intense, but no less difficult. Usually 5 stages (4 + 1 classifier) with some steel, some run-n-gun and some in between stuff. Nice match, nice people.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

cool video lou,

a few tips:

Get your stage planning down pat, you dont want to start your run and just wing it as you see things. There was a few times you've ran right past targets and had to run back. ( hell, i've done the same with brain farts sometimes when the buzzer goes off ! ) But you want everything to be effecient and streamline.

Keep count, you pretty much ran your gun dry everytime to slide lock. Dont be afraid to do a reload after firing 2 shots , if that is what the stage calls for. Reload on the move, between arrays, etc.

See you on the next one.

-Alec