Sign in to follow this  
dbclegg44

Buying a Scar 17s

hey guys I just moved to NJ. I wanted to hold off buying a scar until I moved here because I am aware of how strict the laws here are. I wanted to know how you would go about purchasing a scar and making it NJ legal. I was thinking buy it from gunbroker have it sent to a ffl in PA then have it transfered to NJ. Thoughts? Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

i was hoping I was gonna see more responses as I am also in the market.... specially from retailers who belong to this forum and have them in stock.  I guess they maybe using other sources of media.  Sorry to see this as I believe for the subscribers here,  to be very well informed.  

Anyways, there a couple of retailers at current on Gunbroker listing them as NJ/ CA compliant.  Unfortunate things is the cost is up to $3100 where un-neutered SCAR's can be purchase for $5-6 hundred less... found on Gunbroker.  

would the retailers explain that one?

Other than making the stock fixed and disabling the side folding action, along with a 10 rd mag, are those prices justifiable ?    ($3100) as oppose to average price of $2750-$2850

As far as where to get them...

some NJ retailers have them listed on their FB accounts... and yes... in stock

post yours when you get it... 

If you bag one on Gun Broker for the price you've outlined you can probably get someone to pin weld the muzzle and pin the stock for about 100-150 bucks.  The stock PWS FSC556 is not a flash hider so you don't need a new one.  Add to that the transfer cost (mostly like 65 bucks with NICS) and then you'll know if it's worth it for you.  

You are probably looking at saving 50 to 100 bucks to do it that.  If you can find one local for 3100 that's compliant that would be the way to go.

And the cycle continues..... Yes you can by guns for less on the internet and sometimes save over 1 or 2 hundred bucks, that doesn't do scrap for the brick and mortar places that are in this fine state. Support the locals or go Internet your choice.

Unfortunately no one in the state had a scar when I was looking or wanted to place an order which was a couple months after new town and prices finally started to come down. Plus couple places that were fn dealers in nj said the gun is illegal and cant be ordered/modified, so only option for what I wanted was online and shipped to somebody that make it compliant.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

TJ's does some nice SCAR compliance work. :good:

Having owned a scar that was made compliant by TJs and a scar made compliant by another North NJ forum vendor who will remain nameless (bought the rifle second hand but know where it was originally purchased from) its TJs all the way. Fit and finish isnt even comparable.