MidwestPX

Sneak peek: 18" twist-flute Midwest PX barrel

id4mk1.jpg

I'm test firing these tomorrow. The spec list is pretty legit and I have relatively high hopes for them.

18" 416R stainless steel

2lbs 9oz

1:8 twist

Twist fluted to reduce weight and increase surface area for improved heat dissipation

Midlength gas

Six groove, right hand, button rifled

.223 Wylde chamber

0.75" gas block seat

1/2x28 TPI muzzle for common muzzle devices and thread-on suppressors

Assuming these are shooters, expect to see them up for $199.95

Man, if you going to do 18" barrels please please please go to rifle length gas system. There is a shortage of such things.

The problem with a rifle length gas system is it adds weight toward the muzzle end which throws off the rifle's balance. This profile is an HBAR to the gas block then .75"-ish forward to fight that. I'm not 100% sold on there being an appreciable difference in cycling between rifle and midlength on an 18" the way there is between midlength and carbine on 14.5 and 16" tubes.

The weight thing is more about profile then anything else. The gas block has no appreciable weight, the weight comes from using and HBAR profile for an extra couple of inches, but in this case it would be fluted.  Personally, I can feel the difference, specially when mated to a rifle recoil system instead of a carbine one. 

How did the third party accuracy go?

I am thinking about building an 18 inch upper and really like the specs on this. Is there an appreciable difference between a mid length system and a rifle length?

Brian

He was getting similar results though his handload did worse than FGMM due to his handload being tailored for a specific rifle. I suspect jump tolerance and OAL were the culprit.

Midlength cycles a little harder. I could tell a difference but it wasn't extreme or uncomfortable. It could probably be tamed with a brake pretty easily.

I have a 300blk rifle I want to get a 556 barrel for to train with it on the cheap. I will buy one of these as soon as they are ready.

Ty, will you pin a brake on before it leaves your place so we are legal out of the box?

Unfortuantely, we're not set up to pin and weld brakes. There are a number of forum vendors that we can ship to directly if you would like though.

Unfortuantely, we're not set up to pin and weld brakes. There are a number of forum vendors that we can ship to directly if you would like though.

Understandable, only a few markets that need it.  ETA on when they will be available?  I would like one whenever they are on the market.