I have been a HUGE fan of air shows since I was a kid and went with my grandfather.  So I am happy to say that after budget issues, Air Shows are back on for the military!!

The USAF Thunderbirds will be coming to Jersey May 10-11 at Joint Base McGuire-Dix-Lakehurst.  I went to this two years ago and it was great!  They basically open the base for all people to go to the flightline and see an awesome show!!  http://afthunderbirds.com/site/show-season/

Not a fan of the USAF and prefer the Navy's Blue Angels? 

They will be flying in Atlantic city but not until May 27th 2015 :(  The AC air show is at the beach and is over the water.  I went to one of these and had a blast 2-3 years ago.  Either way I just wanted to share in case you guys wanted to make plans to come on out, bring your kids, should be great!!http://www.blueangels.navy.mil/show/

they used to let people go watch the blue angels practice at NAS Pensacola back before 9/11. i remember going there a few times when i was a kid it was pretty sweet. after their flight they would come over and talk to the people that showed up and do autographs. now that my brother is a pilot for the navy it had kinda lost its glamor tho...

they used to let people go watch the blue angels practice at NAS Pensacola back before 9/11. i remember going there a few times when i was a kid it was pretty sweet. after their flight they would come over and talk to the people that showed up and do autographs. now that my brother is a pilot for the navy it had kinda lost its glamor tho...

when I swore into the Air Force in 02, it was done by the Thunderbirds.  It was amazing!!

and getting hearing protection is huge!  hearing pro (the muffs are better) and folding seats... perfect day!!

last air show I attended was in the mid 80s at McGuire.

will they even let me in with my camera and tripod anymore?

I think so…certainly the camera.

Once the web page for the air show goes up, it has a list of what can and cannot be brought on base by attendees.

i worked 2 of the airshows at mcguire. i was lgt for cap there. my work allowed me just enough breaks to watch some of it. both the angels, and the birds are AMAZING. honestly though, i enjoyed the solo f16 and solo f15 demos more. those guys just got up there, and let loose. of everything though, i prefer the ww2 iron. nothing like the music of a rolls royce merlin, or an allison, or 4 wright radials singing together.

I think so…certainly the camera.

Once the web page for the air show goes up, it has a list of what can and cannot be brought on base by attendees.

hope so. if you see it post it up.

camera is worthless without the tripod (or at least the monopod)... the damn thing weighs over 15# with the big lens on it!

I saw plenty of tripods 2 years ago.  And the B-1 was amazing!!  Something you dont get to see often at all it was great!  I do agree, nothing beats those solo flights and I am pretty partial to the f-15 even tho I worked with 16s for a decade plus.  When they get open air and can just go up and play.... fantastic! 

As far as the war planes, they show every year,  and sound AMAZING!! Love the tribute flights they do when it is a p-51, f-15, f-16, a-10(my all time fav plane) combos....

Tribute flights (or heritage flights)for those who don't know are when 3-5 planes from different generations fly together...F-22, F-15, and a p-51

DSZ_1495.jpg

My father was stationed at Offutt AFB in the late 60's early 70's. He say's he remembers a day back then as if it was yesterday-it was a rare occurrence, but the Thunderbirds and the Blue Angels were both at the base, one thing led to another, and soon both teams were up in the air at the same time, each trying to outdo the other. what I would have done to be there!

My father was stationed at Offutt AFB in the late 60's early 70's. He say's he remembers a day back then as if it was yesterday-it was a rare occurrence, but the Thunderbirds and the Blue Angels were both at the base, one thing led to another, and soon both teams were up in the air at the same time, each trying to outdo the other. what I would have done to be there!

words can not express the amount of jealousy I have right now!! that is AWESOME!

I saw plenty of tripods 2 years ago.  And the B-1 was amazing!!  Something you dont get to see often at all it was great!  I do agree, nothing beats those solo flights and I am pretty partial to the f-15 even tho I worked with 16s for a decade plus.  When they get open air and can just go up and play.... fantastic! 

As far as the war planes, they show every year,  and sound AMAZING!! Love the tribute flights they do when it is a p-51, f-15, f-16, a-10(my all time fav plane) combos....

Tribute flights (or heritage flights)for those who don't know are when 3-5 planes from different generations fly together...F-22, F-15, and a p-51

DSZ_1495.jpg

one thing they NEED to do for this year.....they NEED to bring some examples of the best, most versatile ww2 pursuit aircraft. you know? the one that produced more allied aces than any other? one that the bases namesake flew? :)

As the AC Air Show has gotten so popular and they move the days around to boost the travel in business in AC..A hint is go day before and they practice runs are the same as the next days live show..and less jackwagons. ..

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Thanks for the heads up.  Last time I went with my 300-800mm, I had about 40 people come up to me throughout the day asking about the camera/lens.  Base security let me through with my tripod...and had a few interested questions on the lens as well.

Make sure you bring lots of liquids, sunscreen, and some kind of chair...

Last McGuire show was a blast..plenty to see and do...especially liked the low level afterburner pass by a B-1...don't see that very often...cameras were good to go..don't know about tripods though..

Did you notice the roll the B-1 did at the end of it's routine?  Holy cow, that was awesome to see! 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ca_pMNB-rvI

one thing they NEED to do for this year.....they NEED to bring some examples of the best, most versatile ww2 pursuit aircraft. you know? the one that produced more allied aces than any other? one that the bases namesake flew? :)

The P-38 Lightning, one of the platforms displaying the greatness of Kelly Johnson.

The Reading Air Show is awesome. I'll be there this year again and I'd like to get out and see the Thunderbirds as well.

Wink-wink, what kind of lens were you using to take that incredible picture of the 3 planes you took?

Not my picture, It was just a google search for tribute flights so people would get the idea... I am certain that was a pro photographer, but those heritage flights are very slow so theres plenty of opportunity for great pics.