Howard

My Rant of the day on mag limits bill A2006/S993

While I get the thought and desire for secession, that leaves the rest of us also with you behind enemy lines but north of your dividing line in the lurch, surrounded and out numbered (in the polls) trying to fight the good fight. All I can say is, don't abandon your comrades in arms. If you did both, you'd be next to go down as people will "vote with their feet." You have no idea how I hate it when people suggest that.

Can you elaborate on who Neil Heslin is?

Heslin is the father of one of the children killed in the Sandy Hook shooting.

He has past convictions of possession of narcotics and multiple DUI's (all prior to the Sandy Hook shooting).  He was also recently charged (mid-2013) with writing bad checks, not sure if those charges resulted in convictions or not.

not sure if those charges resulted in convictions or not.

Sentenced to a year in jail (suspended).

http://ctcarry.com/news/Release/b2aa31d5-a170-47fb-944f-ea776c90bc21

http://www.newstimes.com/policereports/article/Away-from-the-spotlight-Sandy-Hook-parent-4496775.php

Carroll stood up and i give him credit for that. But if i was grading debates i would give Carroll a "c" to Grrewnwalds "A". I said this in other threads. It's not good enough for our side to say "this law won't stop killing". Or "this law is only public relations". Greenwald goes up there and uses the "13th bullet" story and we never have a rebuttal for it. Howard's letter posted on Friday would have had more meat on it on the Assembly floor than of the two Republicans that spoke on that day

Again, I'm not trying to miserable for the sake of it I'm just frustrated our politicians are not effectively countering the Newtown family onslaught.

Maybe it's just me but from 1:35 to 2:20 certainly sounded like a rebuttal

Did you watch the ENTIRE proceedings that day? Did you hear all of Greenwalds testimony for supporting the bill? Or just this YouTube clip? I watched the entire proceedings that day. If you did not hear Greenwald you cannot opine on this rant. It fails to address all the points the "13th bullet" foundation people stand on

I wish we could have HOWARD on the floor, I feel like our message would come out better

And the woman who spoke after Carroll? "Why should LEO get to carry 15 then?

You got two weeks to think about objections to the bill and that's what you come up with!?!?

Greenwald: "ummm duhhhh!! Because they are trained.." (As he's probably laughing "that's tje best you got?")

It was not a fine day at all for our side. I'm trying to figure out a time I can talk to my Senator and figure out who runs the huddles on these speeches. We get destroyed.

If you didn't hear entire days proceedings you have no idea

Did you watch the ENTIRE proceedings that day? Did you hear all of Greenwalds testimony for supporting the bill? Or just this YouTube clip? I watched the entire proceedings that day. If you did not hear Greenwald you cannot opine on this rant. It fails to address all the points the "13th bullet" foundation people stand on

I wish we could have HOWARD on the floor, I feel like our message would come out better

Sorry, no I did not watch it, I did listen to it though, does that count ? How many point's are we talking about with the 13th bullet foundation ? 2 ? " It was the 13th" " If there were 10 or less he wouldn't have made it to the 13th "

Didn't state that I'd grade his rebuttal higher , just that he made one , which was better than nothing or going off into left field about assault weapons or concealed carry

This 13th bullet thing is stupid. If he only had 10 round mags it would have been the 2nd bullet from the 2nd mag. If we had a 2 round limit it would have been the 2nd bullet from the 6th mag. This of couse assumes he would have paid attention to that law, even though he was happy to disregard the laws about stealing firearms, under 21's possessing pistols, taking firearms onto school property, let alone murdering people.

PS: Is anyone concerned of us being put "on a list" by writing these people? They obviously know we a pro-gun and most likely gun owners. I just wonder if they have us in a database now.

Well, yah but isnt that what they want, for us to live in fear?

James Kaleda comes to mind. 

Not to mention that the NJSP were busy taking pics of protestors. 

If you put anything in writing (email or snailmail), be very mindful of what you say.

Sad how bad things have gotten in the US. 

Sorry, no I did not watch it, I did listen to it though, does that count ? How many point's are we talking about with the 13th bullet foundation ? 2 ? " It was the 13th" " If there were 10 or less he wouldn't have made it to the 13th "

Didn't state that I'd grade his rebuttal higher , just that he made one , which was better than nothing or going off into left field about assault weapons or concealed carry

I hear ya, and agree its better than nothing, I'm just dissappointed it wasn't more. I tried calling my Senator, of course didn't get to him. Maybe someone will call me back. I'm interested in knowing if anybody really huddles up for stuff like this. Like did Carrol above talk to other republicans or was he just alone on this? Are other people involved? Do the people who vote "no" just think that's good enough? I'm very curious.

I hear ya, and agree its better than nothing, I'm just dissappointed it wasn't more. I tried calling my Senator, of course didn't get to him. Maybe someone will call me back. I'm interested in knowing if anybody really huddles up for stuff like this. Like did Carrol above talk to other republicans or was he just alone on this? Are other people involved? Do the people who vote "no" just think that's good enough? I'm very curious.

I think you will find that certain people, like Michael Patrick Carroll, are very passionate about this issue; while others really don't care that much but will vote against it because they know it is wrong.  You are not going to get all people to be passionate on all issues.  Thus, what we need to do is make sure we let all our representatives know how we feel repeatedly and in mass so that they do the right thing.  Obviously if there are certain specific points we want made then we need to get an audience with those that are passionate and try to get them to make those points on the floor for us.

This 13th bullet thing is stupid. If he only had 10 round mags it would have been the 2nd bullet from the 2nd mag. If we had a 2 round limit it would have been the 2nd bullet from the 6th mag. This of couse assumes he would have paid attention to that law, even though he was happy to disregard the laws about stealing firearms, under 21's possessing pistols, taking firearms onto school property, let alone murdering people.

We'll you and I think it's stupid but it is the FOUNDATION of the Newtown mission. Just saying "it's stupid" doesn't make it go away. The myth needs to be debunked. And it never is. It was a jam right? Not a round count. The jam saved the lives not the stop to reload. But nobody brought that up in the legislature. I don't see how anybody thinks discussing how law abiding citizens will be made criminals is a more powerful argument than trying to debunk the "facts" that Greenwald presented. He keeps saying "here is the data, here are the facts". And nobody ever challenges him on that. We dodge the challenge.

Okay I'm sure you guys are tired of me brining this up. I will give it a rest.

Barms, you are correct to a point.  I was thinking the same thing, that we keep allowing Greenwald to read this crap into the record and never challenge it - shame on us.  I think MPC made a great point talking about the 2nd, 3rd,.....10th round and asking why they only care about the 11th child.  That shows how stupid this really is.

We'll you and I think it's stupid but it is the FOUNDATION of the Newtown mission. Just saying "it's stupid" doesn't make it go away. The myth needs to be debunked. And it never is. It was a jam right? Not a round count. The jam saved the lives not the stop to reload. But nobody brought that up in the legislature. I don't see how anybody thinks discussing how law abiding citizens will be made criminals is a more powerful argument than trying to debunk the "facts" that Greenwald presented. He keeps saying "here is the data, here are the facts". And nobody ever challenges him on that. We dodge the challenge.

Okay I'm sure you guys are tired of me brining this up. I will give it a rest.

Hard to understand why it's the foundation of the Newtown mission, it's from the Tucson shooting.

Turdboy in Newtown was changing mags, the idea that if the mags held less lives would have been saved because he would have had to change mags more often is silly. Contrary to what has been stated by the anti's ( 30 seconds to change a mag, ROFL ) even those with little to no experience can change mags rather quickly. Even if they couldn't where do they ( the anti's ) get the idea that someone bent on killing is going to be concerned with magazine capacity restrictions ? Unlike the " jump the shooter when he reloads " argument they like to throw around I've never seen television and movie criminals obey the law.

Don't stop bringing it up, people need to see and hear it everyday to help keep them actively fighting the lie's and lack of " common sense " being thrown about by those who would restrict law abiding citizens.

Really good comment at the end of the comments section. There have been more deaths this year from heroin than firearms. Why can't Trenton deal with that?

“We were hoping that it would move before now, but it hasn’t,” said Bryan Miller, executive director of the faith-based gun control group Heeding God’s Call. “This has been an incredibly busy time for the Legislature, with all the bridge stuff and everything. I think it’s understandable.”

Why do they keep quoting this guy?  WGAF?

Hes not even from NJ...

None of that matters. He's a mouthpiece that supports their agenda. Logic, locality, reality have nothing to do with it.

Sooner or later all the (real) gun supporters in NJ have to realize that the only power that counts is political power. Without that they (including me) are doomed.

Wrote all the Senators this weekend. Got this response back from Sarlo today:

"At the present time, I am not aware of any schedule to post these bills in the Senate. If the legislation is to be considered, I will take all of your comments into consideration and will be back in touch. Thank you for contacting us.

Sincerely,

Paul A. Sarlo

Senator, District 36"