ogfarmer

S993: Reduces maximum capacity of ammunition magazines to 10 rounds

Keep this thread on topic and free from BS or else it ends up some where its less irrelevant

http://www.njleg.state.nj.us/2014/Bills/S1000/993_I1.PDF

STATEMENT

This bill revises the definition of “large capacity ammunition magazine.”

Under current law, magazines capable of holding a maximum of 15 rounds of ammunition are legal in New Jersey.  This bill would reduce the lawful maximum capacity of ammunitions magazines in New Jersey to 10 rounds.

This legislation is a response to the recent horrific tragedy in Arizona where the assailant utilized a large capacity ammunition magazine in a shooting that resulted in the deaths of six people and injuries to 13 others, including Arizona Congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords.

22.jpg    

SENATE REPRIEVE?

GUN BAN / MAG BAN MISSING FROM

MONDAY'S COMMITTEE AGENDA

The agenda for Monday's Senate Law and Public Safety Committee meeting is out, and S993 (gun ban / mag ban) is not on it.  While that could change at any time, reliable sources in Trenton tell us that an "issue" has arisen that is prompting the legislation to be held until after the budget recess in April.

Whether the "issue" is the outrage of thousands of gun owners, hunters and sportsmen,the realization that the legislation and its amendments are fundamentally flawed, or something else, reports of the reprieve, if accurate, would represent a significant break in the momentum of this legislation.  Anti-gun lawmakers have been on a full court press since February to get this legislation to the Governor's desk, and great pains were taken to reschedule an Assembly hearing (after it was cancelled due to winter storm Titan) so the bill could be delivered to the Governor this month.

While gun owners should remain prepared to come to Trenton Monday morning if something changes over the weekend, as of this afternoon it does not appear that will be necessary.  Should we receive contrary information over the weekend, we will issue a follow-up alert.

In the meanwhile, there should be no break in the momentum from our end.  Gun owners, hunters and sportsmen must continue to weigh in by email with every State Senator, and by phone and fax with their individual State Senator.  Tell them to oppose S993 (gun ban / mag ban).

Well, well, well, would you look at this.

1 GOPer voted YEA.

Not only that, but Sweeney's TWO running mates voted Nay!

GOP YEA votes:

Christopher J. Brown (R-Burlington)

DEM NAY votes:

Bob Andrzejczak (D-Cape May)

John Burzichelli (D- Gloucester County, Sweeney's running mate!!!)

Celeste Riley (D-Cumberland, Sweeney's running mate!!!)

Abstentions:

David Wolfe (R-Ocean)

Declan O’Scanlon (R-Monmouth)

Anthony Bucco (R-Morris)

http://savejersey.com/2014/03/magazine-ban-assembly-roll-call/

Well, well, well, would you look at this.

1 GOPer voted YEA.

Not only that, but Sweeney's TWO running mates voted Nay!

GOP YEA votes:

Christopher J. Brown (R-Burlington)

DEM NAY votes:

Bob Andrzejczak (D-Cape May)

John Burzichelli (D- Gloucester County, Sweeney's running mate!!!)

Celeste Riley (D-Cumberland, Sweeney's running mate!!!)

Abstentions:

David Wolfe (R-Ocean)

Declan O’Scanlon (R-Monmouth)

Anthony Bucco (R-Morris)

http://savejersey.com/2014/03/magazine-ban-assembly-roll-call/

Now that's really interesting.   Thanks!

Why would the republicans vote yea or abstain?

Bucco I know is on vacation. So that's why he abstained.

He made this statement on social media:

Bill A-2006 is ill-conceived. My assembly colleagues that supported this legislation do not see the unintended consequences of this bill. The thought that by reducing the capacity of ammunition magazines from 15 to 10 will stop criminals from utilizing 15 round clips is ridiculous. This bill prevents law-abiding, legal gun owners the ability to protect themselves and their families. We need to push hard to stop this in the Senate.

Why would the republicans vote yea or abstain?

In the end, an Abstention is the same as a NO vote in the tally.

In the 80 member Assembly, it takes 41 YES votes to pass any bill

As far as a YES vote coming from an R member, there's no acceptable reason for that IMHO

That member must be disposed of.

I have no idea if this matters or not, but I just left a message for Senator Loretta Weinberg to express my disapproval of S993.  Her office is 2-3 blocks from my house.  I may take a walk over there one day.

I have no idea if this matters or not, but I just left a message for Senator Loretta Weinberg to express my disapproval of S993. Her office is 2-3 blocks from my house. I may take a walk over there one day.

It was mentioned in another thread that the legislation is on hold until probably June.

I was just told by a reliable source that the 10 round mag limit has been trashed. It will not go any further.

One down.......

Sent from my iPad 2 using T2 Pro

Until next year, and the year after that, and the year after that, and then it will be signed by the New democratic governor.

Not so sure.... Dem gov or not, we shall see. There is way too much pressure slowly dribbling in from all sides that are Pro2A...

I was just told by a reliable source that the 10 round mag limit has been trashed. It will not go any further.

One down.......

Do they attribute that to the pressure we (2A supporters) have been placing on them?

Or was it just postponed as an administrative thing?

Do they attribute that to the pressure we (2A supporters) have been placing on them?

Or was it just postponed as an administrative thing?

Not sure, but I think someone got slapped hard. I'll try get more info, but chances are it will surface more before I run into him again.

Sent from my iPhone using TT 2 Pro

Not so sure.... Dem gov or not, we shall see. There is way too much pressure slowly dribbling in from all sides that are Pro2A...

I tend to agree.  It appears that slowly, the pro-2A cause is waking a lot of people up.  Many of them are living in free states and thus it's in their best interest to help stop this kind of BS legislation anywhere it rears its ugly head.  The litmus test will come when SCOTUS finally decides to hear a 2A case.  Good or bad, the decision will impact all states as it will be the law of the land.

That and it's just so blatantly crazy. There are so many people and weapons that this would affect that everyone would be forced to carry 1911's and internal mag bolt rifles...again.. ,etc.

It's really starting to indicate how this crap is being perceived by everyone. As nothing more than bs laws that lend nothing but help politicians get browny points. Christie even said it last year and this year as well. You can only bs so much before it stains your shorts permanently and you wreak! ;)

Sent from my iPhone using TT 2 Pro

That and it's just so blatantly crazy. There are so many people and weapons that this would affect that everyone would be forced to carry 1911's and internal mag bolt rifles...again.. ,etc.

It's really starting to indicate how this crap is being perceived by everyone. As nothing more than bs laws that lend nothing but help politicians get browny points. Christie even said it last year and this year as well. You can only bs so much before it stains your shorts permanently and you wreak! ;)

That, and perhaps some of the other state's legislation being rather vulnerable to challenges. I saw an article today where the NY State Police will not enforce their 7 round limit (as part of S.A.F.E.) while it's proceeding through the court system.  If some of that gets shot down, they'd be foolish to try it here and yield similar results.

The people on the committee are still in office, no reason they cant do this again. This is in no way any kind of win. Now, why isnt legislation being proposed to make 15 rounds permanent? Why no law to go to 17 rounds for the standard mags for the m&p? Why no law to make it illegal in the future for any law that would confiscate existing 15 round mags already owned in the state? We got nothin.

The people on the committee are still in office, no reason they cant do this again. This is in no way any kind of win. Now, why isnt legislation being proposed to make 15 rounds permanent? Why no law to go to 17 rounds for the standard mags for the m&p? Why no law to make it illegal in the future for any law that would confiscate existing 15 round mags already owned in the state? We got nothin.

Ok, you go with that. Can't be happy for the time being? Because at least we are not regressing. One step at a time hey? For now, I'm content. Not giving up, just content.

My guess to contributing factors?

1) 2014 mid term elections. DNC is backing off that issue for now.

2) the gun grabbing money train is ending. That stupid moms crap has been wound up as the maig/bloomberg shill front it was.

3) it lacks popularity, and was shot down last year, why back a loser this year.

4) all existing mag bans pre date heller. A new ban creates an aggrieved class, and opens them up to litigation that could go to scotus. They don't nee-add that right now.

Did you hear anything regarding the reason the senate will not take it up?

It sounds to me as if there are other factors at work here....

My guess, ensuring that they have the votes.

Both of my Assemblymen who are Dems, voted no.

My guess to contributing factors?

1) 2014 mid term elections. DNC is backing off that issue for now.

2) the gun grabbing money train is ending. That stupid moms crap has been wound up as the maig/bloomberg shill front it was.

3) it lacks popularity, and was shot down last year, why back a loser this year.

4) all existing mag bans pre date heller. A new ban creates an aggrieved class, and opens them up to litigation that could go to scotus. They don't nee-add that right now.

Well, Ethics complaints have power in NJ...

As do OPRA requests for the names of any and ALL assembly, senate members who are current LEO, RLEO and or have direct family members that are.

I filed a WHOLE bunch of both.....

I also had a hand deliverd Letter given to the Governor, and I know he read it since he repeated word for word what i wrote about a specific topic I used in a town hall meeting recently. One of my major points was the conflicts that resulted in ethics filings...

Well, Ethics complaints have power in NJ...

As do OPRA requests for the names of any and ALL assembly, senate members who are current LEO, RLEO and or have direct family members that are.

I filed a WHOLE bunch of both.....

I also had a hand deliverd Letter given to the Governor, and I know he read it since he repeated word for word what i wrote about a specific topic I used in a town hall meeting recently. One of my major points was the conflicts that resulted in ethics filings...

Could you elaborate on this?