Smoke Eater

AR Trouble.

Well first issue is my barrel discolored... almost to a white. Other issue is the recoil is not what it used to be. Granted she only has 350 rounds down the tube.. but my shoulder was actually bruused up after shooting 100 rounds. Tried contacting psa since it is there rifle build kit but a week of no answers and many calls and emails leaves me to ask you guys.

Ar is a psa mid length chf build kit with a battle comp and a spike tactical lower.

Pics when i get a chance

Ok. So ill pop off the gas block and pop.out the role pin to remove the gas tube and re install. Its just odd that the first 200 rounds had no recoil and now it like shooting a 20g. I dont wanna have to pop my comp off to send it back to psa either (if they ever get back to me) so ill try that for now

What does the bolt have to do.with it?

I only mentioned it because of the excessive buildup after only two rounds. Because the bolt didn't unlock, more gas than normal exited between the block and barrel.

Is your gas block pinned on or a set screw? I'm wondering if the ID of the gas block isn't a little oversized and more gas than normal is escaping but not enough to cause cycling issues.

Also check that the gas block was installed straight. Years ago I bought a barreled upper where the front site was mounted about 5-7 degrees off. That was pretty much a send it home and try again, because the drilled taper pins were off-center.

Check your gas tube for blockages, bents, damage at the bolt end. Is your action functioning properly when hand operating it? No binding, no excessive friction? I'm wondering if the issues is in the gas system or in the bolt/bolt carrier/recoil area. If your bolt refuses to move for whatever reason (like excess pressure) your gas has to go somewhere.

Also what ammo are you using? might the ammo be overpressure?

Well I'll suggest what gave me shoulder bruising with my ar. It was being over aggressive with shouldering it. Unless you have some kind of illness that makes you bruise incredibly easy, .223 out of a >6lb rifle won't be bruising you.

In for pics of the discoloration and face of buffer. Did you put the upper together yourself or did you buy it complete? What kind/weight buffer are you using? Check the buffer spring for anything abnormal and measure its length.

I figured out the discoloration... well i removed it...cant figure out how to post pics. It wasnt from the gas block i removed the gas block and it was clean under neath and started about 1/2" past it. . as for the heavy recoil the nylon part of my buffer was off.. and no role pin insite for it.. so.it was binding the spring. I ordered a new spikes buffer and i will retest and see whats happening. Hopefully it fixes it.

I figured out the discoloration... well i removed it...cant figure out how to post pics. It wasnt from the gas block i removed the gas block and it was clean under neath and started about 1/2" past it. . as for the heavy recoil the nylon part of my buffer was off.. and no role pin insite for it.. so.it was binding the spring. I ordered a new spikes buffer and i will retest and see whats happening. Hopefully it fixes it.

If you have a google account, you can just upload it to Google Drive and allow anyone with the link to view it... then copy+paste the link here to JUST your photo.

Or click the More Options link where you are going to post a reply and select [bROWSE] under ATTACH FILES, navigate to your photo, click on ATTACH FILE and then ADD REPLY.

Did you use some type of chemical to clean the barrel before you shot it? Maybe enough of it was left on it when you fired it and when the barrel got hot it turned that way. Weird....