Avi

Increase HP On Toyota Corolla

I have a 2013 Corolla, i know i didnt buy the car for performance but is it a waste of money to install a K&N air filter and cold air intake & maybe change spark plugs to some high performance ones. I just need alittle more pep is it worth it?

K&N Filter for pretty much any new car is a complete waste of money.   The engine will just adapt for the change in airflow and if not properly cared for the filter will allow more particulate into the engine acting like internal sand paper.

Do they make performance chips for those Corollas?  I suspect they do, but they'll be upwards of $300 and more likely $500 or more and you may get 8-10hp.   It won't exactly knock your socks off and is more likely to give crappier gas mileage.  Those cheap "chips" you see for 80 bucks or whatever are simply fraudulent and do nothing but mess up your vehicle.  When the instructions are "Cut the wire to  your mass air flow sensor...",  you know you've been had. 

K&N Filter for pretty much any new car is a complete waste of money.   The engine will just adapt for the change in airflow and if not properly cared for the filter will allow more particulate into the engine acting like internal sand paper.

Do they make performance chips for those Corollas?  I suspect they do, but they'll be upwards of $300 and more likely $500 or more and you may get 8-10hp.   It won't exactly knock your socks off and is more likely to give crappier gas mileage.  Those cheap "chips" you see for 80 bucks or whatever are simply fraudulent and do nothing but mess up your vehicle.  When the instructions are "Cut the wire to  your mass air flow sensor...",  you know you've been had. 

I have K&N filters in all my vehicles but not for some mythical gain in power or performance but simply because after a couple of years it basically pays for it self,between all my cars I'm in for almost $150.00 for decent filters and since I put in a lot of miles on each and hang on to them for awhile K&N's and a recharge kit just makes sense.

Dat wooo woooooooooooo..

lol

honestly a K&N should give you a little boost of hp and mpg but you wont see much with that or plugs. You want HP, buy a sportscar...most modern import tuner upgrades (and domestic as well) consist of the way a car breaths. Intake and exhaust is the cheapest way towards hp increase.

On a serious note, many "cold air intakes" become "hot air intakes" when at a standstill.  The stock air box insulates the filter, while many aftermarket ones leave the filter exposed to soak in the heat off the engine.  This will make the car slower after coming to a stop.

There's a very simple swap to make that car much faster...   Drive it to the dealer, and swap it for something else. 

Hey. It may be slow, but the MPG's kick ass compared to my F150 with the 6.2L motor...  (anywhere between 7 and 17MPG, but usually around 10-12).

I'm a big car guy. (Been moding my Altima for a few years now) and I'll tell you from experience a Sri or CAI won't give you much HP. Maybe 2hp if your lucky BUT it will increase your throttal response and the noise from the intake is very addictive. Your seat dyno will def be impressed even if the mod doesn't have Much effect on the car itself.

Cold air intakes are ridiculously annoying IMO. I have one out of necessity and the whistling will drive you insane.

I have one on my truck because of an aftermarket intake manifold and I genuinely hate the sound. I really don't know why they have that horrid sound, as every carbureted engine I've used never had that sound.

Reducing the weight of the car is way more effective than a CAI or spark plugs.  But I imagine the Corolla is already pretty light.  You probably don't want to be tossing the spare tire and jack just to get an extra .5 MPG.  

He can always gut the interior and take out the back seats ;)

Toyotas are generally hard to bump up in terms of performance.  Intakes/exhausts will get you a miniscule bump in Horsepower, but will you really feel it when driving?  Most likely no.

Cold Air intakes can be problematic as well - especially in wet weather - I've heard of a couple engines hydrolocking because they had a CAI and drove through a puddle.  Also cheap design makes some intakes completely useless...  Short Ram intakes can help... if the engine compartment is cold.  When the car's sitting - you get heat soak from the engine...