Avi

Increase HP On Toyota Corolla

I'm a big car guy. (Been moding my Altima for a few years now) and I'll tell you from experience a Sri or CAI won't give you much HP. Maybe 2hp if your lucky BUT it will increase your throttal response and the noise from the intake is very addictive. Your seat dyno will def be impressed even if the mod doesn't have Much effect on the car itself.

I spent about ten years messing with imports, and had a civic with a larger swapped in motor and nitrous.... The car was relatively fast... But I always heard people claim this "throttle response improvement" with certain mods... The modification either makes more power or it doesn't... I'm not sure what this throttle response is... The car i built was a very low 13 second car 4 cylinder... And had a factory air box with a decent drop in filter... Another problem with an exposed "filter on a stick" is they are sitting completely open to all dirt and grime... And in my experience get dirtier faster than a traditional air box... So that 1-2 hp increase is likely negated as the filter get filthy...

Careful with the K&N's.  I have two cars that will trip the CEL whenever the K&N filter is installed, and it goes out when the stock paper is put back in.  I know it doesn't make sense but it happens...

that's because it throws the MAF sensor out of whack...

the only relatively modest gain you'll get out of a modified intake system is on a turbo/SC setup and even then you don't reach the potential of the mod without adjusting the ecu's fuel/timing which costs a good chunk of change on a dyno...

enjoy the fuel economy! 

that's because it throws the MAF sensor out of whack...

the only relatively modest gain you'll get out of a modified intake system is on a turbo/SC setup and even then you don't reach the potential of the mod without adjusting the ecu's fuel/timing which costs a good chunk of change on a dyno...

enjoy the fuel economy! 

Also, putting a high flow filter without a tune on a turbo car can cause it to lean out, which can lead to other nastiness.

NO2.

http://www.ag.auburn.edu/users/parmega/articles/neon/

NOS1.jpg

Seriously? If the Corolla has a stick shift, it should be as fun to drive as any car with a stick shift. If not, enjoy the reliability and low operating costs.

The Corolla is the most popular car in the History Of Man, and reached the 40 million milestone last September. http://toyotanews.pressroom.toyota.com/releases/toyota+corolla+40+million+sold.htm 

There are reasons for that, but the Corolla's performance potential isn't very high on the list.

We have a Corolla that I inherited and that we keep as a spare car. The only "mods" that I've done to the car are WeatherTech floor mats, Michelin tires (because the original tires were as hard as hockey pucks), and (blush) I hard-wired it for my radar detector, (just because).

It's not all that slow! The first Porsche 911s had a 2liter motor producing 130 hp.  You can get into plenty of trouble with the Corolla's 132 hp. If you want to go faster, save your money and attend a performance driving school, like Skip Barber. http://skipbarber.com/

You can easily get more HP out of your Corolla...by trading it in for a V6 Camry.

Ding!! We have a winner. Toyotas v6 Camry is a rocket. It's pretty fast and fuel economy is pretty good 28mpg on the hwy doing 80

Go for it ever since I could drive or owned my own vehicle I have put drop in k&n air filters, cold air intakes or short ram intakes never had a problem plus like another member stated it pays for itself after a while

I spent about ten years messing with imports, and had a civic with a larger swapped in motor and nitrous.... The car was relatively fast... But I always heard people claim this "throttle response improvement" with certain mods... The modification either makes more power or it doesn't... I'm not sure what this throttle response is... The car i built was a very low 13 second car 4 cylinder... And had a factory air box with a decent drop in filter... Another problem with an exposed "filter on a stick" is they are sitting completely open to all dirt and grime... And in my experience get dirtier faster than a traditional air box... So that 1-2 hp increase is likely negated as the filter get filthy...

Throttle response is in connection to throttle by wire systems.. throttle by cable systems don't really apply here. An upgraded grounding harness for the engine bay will improve the throttle response on your car if you have an electronic throttle.. Instead of having a single ground point on the engine you have multiple ground points establishing more points for the signal to travel..and it's a direct connection to the battery.. and picks the path of least resistance... as we should know all grounds typically make there way back the battery through the chassis of the car. Hence improving the signal. Mods are mods.. they all serve a purpose if a purpose is needed... 

Sometimes the best thing you can do to a car is upgrading the suspension tire and wheels... do you get more power? absolutely not, but you gain incredible handling that could put a standard sports car to shame. How often do you drive in a strait line on the road? There is nothing else you can really do to a car these days that gets you such an improvement in performance for your dollar. You will appreciate a better handling car 100X more then an extra 15hp.

Throttle response is in connection to throttle by wire systems.. throttle by cable systems don't really apply here. An upgraded grounding harness for the engine bay will improve the throttle response on your car if you have an electronic throttle.. Instead of having a single ground point on the engine you have multiple ground points establishing more points for the signal to travel..and it's a direct connection to the battery.. and picks the path of least resistance... as we should know all grounds typically make there way back the battery through the chassis of the car. Hence improving the signal. Mods are mods.. they all serve a purpose if a purpose is needed... 

Sometimes the best thing you can do to a car is upgrading the suspension tire and wheels... do you get more power? absolutely not, but you gain incredible handling that could put a standard sports car to shame. How often do you drive in a strait line on the road? There is nothing else you can really do to a car these days that gets you such an improvement in performance for your dollar. You will appreciate a better handling car 100X more then an extra 15hp.

He was talking about an air filter increasing "throttle response" which has nothing to do with the electrical system in a car...

Which is why my Acura family sedan is lowered on aftermarket suspension.  I used to "tune" cars (hondas) and race them back in the day.. Now the days im not taking the SUV to work (also a honda), I have my 6 speed manual TSX.  Not real fast, just a little quicker than the corolla lol, but its a joy to drive and it handles REALLY well.

It is actually very easy to make some serious power and it only takes a few steps.

Step 1, unscrew and remove this part

41NORHdph3L.jpg

Step 2, pull the Corolla out from under the part removed in Step 1

Step 3, pull this under the part removed in Step 1

lfa-supra-2.jpg

Reinstall part from Step 1, and you are done!

Throttle response is in connection to throttle by wire systems.. throttle by cable systems don't really apply here. An upgraded grounding harness for the engine bay will improve the throttle response on your car if you have an electronic throttle.. Instead of having a single ground point on the engine you have multiple ground points establishing more points for the signal to travel..and it's a direct connection to the battery.. and picks the path of least resistance... as we should know all grounds typically make there way back the battery through the chassis of the car. Hence improving the signal.

Um, no. This may sound good in basic electrical theory, but it's not how it works with electronic throttle. First, the wiring in today's cars are so efficient, that you could add 100 ground wires and do absolutely nothing to decrease voltage drop (that's what you're describing). The PCM's of today are so precise that they send a bias voltage that either raises or lowers the baseline voltage for that particular sensor.

Second, you still have to take into consideration that the software is programmed to open and close the throttle plate at X speed, and account for the speed of the throttle plate motor. An example of this can be found on slightly older BMW's without electronic throttle, that were still known for horrible throttle response. It's because it was programmed that way.

Third, cable throttle is more likely to experience a gain in throttle response with other modifications than electronic throttle would from those same modifications. Electronic throttle would only benefit from changing parameters in the PCM's programming. My favorite misconception is the idea that removing the screen from a MAF will increase horsepower. What people don't realize is that screen isn't there to act as a filter (use air filter for said action). It's there to reduce turbulence and stabilize uneven airflow before it travels across the MAF element.