maintenanceguy

A different kind of Cheaper than Dirt story

The company Cheaper than Dirt gets banged around here pretty bad.  They have a reputation for bad customer service.  I've never used them before so I didn't really know but when they had an unbelievable deal on some .410 shotgun shells last week, I placed an order.

The package arrived today.  It was supposed to be a 250 round case.  I got 25 rounds.  I called their customer service hotline and the woman I talked to told me that item number was for 25 rounds, not 250.   Too bad, I have my email confirmation that says 250.   A supervisor was going to call me.  I asked when, she wasn't sure.  Maybe tonight.

I got the call 20 minutes later.  The woman explained that they had marked the item incorrectly and the price I paid really was for 25 rounds, not the 250 I thought I was getting.  And she refunded my purchase price plus shipping and said I could keep the box they did ship.

I'm satisfied with their customer service.   I might be the exception to the rule but I though it was fair to post the good and not only the bad.

Meh, it obviously shows ineptitude, but I guess if the deal was suspiciously good, it makes sense. But what IS good is that they admitted it was their mistake, and made it up to you. Hell, it's not as many as you want, but no one can argue with 25 free shells!

I don't think CTD did you much of a favor.

When online retailers *offer* a product for sale, they can void the potential transaction if a pricing error is discovered before the sale is finalized. But in your case, the merchant processed the sale (accepted your payment and shipped out a partial order) which I believe makes it a binding agreement.

Anyways, you got 25 free shells out of the deal but I wouldn't put CTD on a pedestal since the other option was for them to eat the round trip shipping costs which wouldn't be feasible. But then again, they could try and sell the shells for the 10x the market value as they're accustomed.

I don't think CTD did you much of a favor.

When online retailers *offer* a product for sale, they can void the potential transaction if a pricing error is discovered before the sale is finalized. But in your case, the merchant processed the sale (accepted your payment and shipped out a partial order) which I believe makes it a binding agreement.

Anyways, you got 25 free shells out of the deal but I wouldn't put CTD on a pedestal since the other option was for them to eat the round trip shipping costs which wouldn't be feasible. But then again, they could try and sell the shells for the 10x the market value as they're accustomed.

Exactly.....No favors or good "customer service" was done here.

the other option was for them to eat the round trip shipping costs which wouldn't be feasible. But then again, they could try and sell the shells for the 10x the market value as they're accustomed.

Every retailer I've ever seen/dealt with has a strict no return policy on ammo.

Some places state that it's a safety issue (agreed), others (like Wal-Mart) claim it's against federal law, though I've never found a citation to the alleged law.

Either way, the only options CTD had here were:

1. Refund the price of one box.

2. Ship out another 9 boxes for free

3. Tell OP to go kick rocks (which was their first response).

If they kept being jerks about it, it probably would have resulted in more phone calls, emails, complaints to BBB, etc.

On balance, they took the cheapest way out (pun intended).

In summary:

-CTD goofed (100% their fault).

-Their initial response was "Too f***ing bad, deal with it."

-When the customer refused to just get screwed, they did the least they could, rather than the right thing (delivering what they agreed to and were paid for).

Yup, Cheaper Than Dirt, still scumbags.

They'll never see a one red cent from me.