Which budget .357 magnum to get?

42 members have voted

1. 1. Which budget 357 to get?

• EAA Windicator
    • Taurus 65/66
    • Which ever is cheaper
    • Both are garbage
    • Other

I had a Taurus 608 with a ported barrel was a fine gun. Nothing wrong with it and fit and finish was good. Just don't enjoy revolvers so I sold it. Threw some nice fireballs. Wouldn't hesitate to but a Taurus again.

Nice good to hear.  Debating on the 608 4"

Both times I shopped for a .357 revolver I wound up, after much soul searching, buying Rugers (SP101, 3.16" barrel and GP100, 4" barrel). What I'd read about Taurus revolvers -- very hard trigger pull -- was borne out after dry firing one when the salesman at Ramsey Outdoor wasn't looking.

I love the round, and my guns handle it exquisitely, but it's expensive to shoot. $.36 vs. $.25/round.

If you're thinking of a range gun, you might adopt my strategy of one box of .38 specials, and half a box of .357s each range trip, depending. 

I go 35x per year, so ... If you go less, maybe you could afford to shoot .357s.

By the way, my first instructor advised me that the least expensive thing about shooting is the gun. He was 100% right. There are no "bargains," only value. And to me the Rugers represent that.

Again, thanks all for your advice. I was prepared to go the Windicator/Taurus route, but I happened to stop by RTSP to look for turkey hunting choke tubes when I noticed they had a used S&W 686+. The trigger on that gun is sweet! The double action is extremely smooth and I didn't think to be too heavy at all. I thought I had successfully resisted temptation and left the store, but a couple miles away I made a U-turn and came back and got it. Note to self, don't leave P2Ps in your glove compartment when trying to control spending. 

Again, thanks all for your advice. I was prepared to go the Windicator/Taurus route, but I happened to stop by RTSP to look for turkey hunting choke tubes when I noticed they had a used S&W 686+. The trigger on that gun is sweet! The double action is extremely smooth and I didn't think to be too heavy at all. I thought I had successfully resisted temptation and left the store, but a couple miles away I made a U-turn and came back and got it. Note to self, don't leave P2Ps in your glove compartment when trying to control spending. 

Congrats man!

Jackpot!   You did very well ...congrats.

The best new guns also make the best used ones.  I would hold out for a S&W or Ruger in your price range.  They are out there.  And don't believe you won't shoot it much.  I bought a GP100 just to have  a revolver and now I found myself with that and three others - Ruger Super Redhawk, S&W 29 and S&W 629, all in .44 magnum.  They are addictive in their beauty and simplicity...

Agreed ... look for a pre-loved Ruger Security Six with a 6" barrel .. built like a tank and a shooters team with the match target adjustable sights. Should be able to pick up a nice one for under $250.

I've only had a chance to shoot it once, and I'm not finding .357mag to be as fun as I thought it'd be...it hurts! I shot it with wooden grips, and I'm going to try with rubber grips next time to see if it helps any. Also, I shot it with a high grip, but I just saw a Jerry Miculek video where he recommends using a lower grip for higher-caliber revolvers to help keep your hand from getting beat up. But shooting .38 special is pretty fun. Those rounds in a heavy steel revolver make it feel like I'm shooting 22s.

Agreed ... look for a pre-loved Ruger Security Six with a 6" barrel .. built like a tank and a shooters team with the match target adjustable sights. Should be able to pick up a nice one for under $250.

Where!?!

might want to check gunbroker....not the case

My .357 Magnums are the most fun to shoot, but I can't use them at my indoor range. Perfect amount of kick and flame!

I did get a .30 Cal single action Ruger that I can shoot at my indoor range, almost no kick and a HUGE flame!  :)

My .357 Magnums are the most fun to shoot, but I can't use them at my indoor range. Perfect amount of kick and flame!

I did get a .30 Cal single action Ruger that I can shoot at my indoor range, almost no kick and a HUGE flame!  :)

Just curious, why does your range allow 30 carbine and not 357?