pitt1717

Last pieces to my build

So I'm about to buy the last pieces of my build and one of them is slowing me down. that is the compensator. So i know to be safe, i should get the PWS or the battlecomp, but all the reviews state how loud they are and the blow back towards the shooter.

i would like one that pushes the gas more to the sides rather than back and 2 something that doesn't exacerbate the noise 10 fold. I understand the rifle may get louder, but i don't need it to sound like a howitzer.

so the battlecomp appears from all pictures to no doubt pass the pinky test but the price is 2 and 3 times more than others

the PWS was passed by the atf  but not sure how that passes the pinky test per the pics

so with that info are there any others to look at sub 100 dollars that will aid in muzzle rise reduction, not sound like a howitzer and not blow my hat off? i was looking at the BCM gunfighter as its labeled a compensator but in previous threads i read its gtg but use at your own risk. not very comforting.

thanks for any help 

thanks, i just did a search on the spikes vs battlecomp as they looked the same. everyone states its louder than the battlecomp. so maybe not really what I'm looking for, unless i just pony up another 80 bucks and get the BC.

Troy Medeival or Claymore Compensators are good and affordable.

Levange style will solve side blast problems and are downright cheap at ~ $25.

The Battlecomp and PWS are easy on the shooter - but you are going to pay more ~ $90-$140. Folks standing to the left and right take a little bit of a hit, but they keep that muzzle flat and aren't as obnoxious to nearby shooters as some of the competition style brakes. In my line of work that is a serious consideration as I rarely do anything alone and am often in structures with a long gun.

I prefer the PWS personally, as it is cheaper than the BC and I can't tell the difference between those two when shooting.

I am not a big fan of anything Spikes. Can't quantify that with anything other than subjectively, the BC and PWS feel like they to a better job of keeping the muzzle flat.

that troy medevil looks pretty cool, not may reviews come up on it regarding muzzle rise (my main concern)  but the price is definitely nice.

but heres the question, what would cause any officer to think any of these are flash hiders vs comp/breaks. Any cop could mistake the PWS or otherwise to be a flash hider and we would have to get a lawyer to prove otherwise. Are we/am i, over thinking this as in the end regardless of whats at the end of the rifle it is subject to someones opinion?

that troy medevil looks pretty cool, not may reviews come up on it regarding muzzle rise (my main concern) but the price is definitely nice.

but heres the question, what would cause any officer to think any of these are flash hiders vs comp/breaks. Any cop could mistake the PWS or otherwise to be a flash hider and we would have to get a lawyer to prove otherwise. Are we/am i, over thinking this as in the end regardless of whats at the end of the rifle it is subject to someones opinion?

At the end of the day you are firing a .223/5.56 cartridge. There really isn't a true need for any kind of brake or comp unless you are looking to shave fractions of a second off of your split times. Measuring effectiveness between any two is entirely subjective and the difference in performance is negligible - except to the shooter choosing one. As long as you are buying quality, it really doesn't matter if you choose: PWS/BCM/BC/Troy/KAC/etc.... except to YOU

As far as being hassled by the man, you are overthinking it. Get what you know is legal - via common sense means - and go forth and do good things. In the case of the PWS print and keep a copy of the BATFE letter in your shooting gear/rifle bag.

NJ does not have a Approved Muzzle Device list, nor does NJ measure actual "flash reduction" when determining if a device is hider or not. Everything is based on opinion of the NJSP Firearms Unit and the pinky test is merely an unofficial guideline.

thanks, i just did a search on the spikes vs battlecomp as they looked the same. everyone states its louder than the battlecomp. so maybe not really what I'm looking for, unless i just pony up another 80 bucks and get the BC.

Spikes Dynacomp isn't that loud... It directs the blast away from you.... Not to the sides or back... You don't get a concussive thump like some brakes (I've seen/heard/felt this with the YHM Phantom)

Compare for yourself.  Is the BCM Battle Comp REALLY worth 2x the price?

^^ This!

That's exactly why I don't want to spend more than 100 bucks on this.

2 reasons I'm getting one is the barrel I want to get is threaded and 2 I would like to do some 3 gun etc so any help I can get I will take.

Do you think getting the bcm is a high risk?

Wouldn't be so bad if I didn't have to pin but once welded it will be on for a while

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's exactly why I don't want to spend more than 100 bucks on this.

2 reasons I'm getting one is the barrel I want to get is threaded and 2 I would like to do some 3 gun etc so any help I can get I will take.

Do you think getting the bcm is a high risk?

Wouldn't be so bad if I didn't have to pin but once welded it will be on for a while

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dynacomp is under 100

Spikes Dynacomp isn't that loud... It directs the blast away from you.... Not to the sides or back... You don't get a concussive thump like some brakes (I've seen/heard/felt this with the YHM Phantom)

Compare for yourself.  Is the BCM Battle Comp REALLY worth 2x the price?

was just able to watch the vid. i can't hear the diff between the 2. spikes may now be on the list

This is a great little, inexpensive comp.

I have 4 of these. Not really louder than a standard A2 flash suppressor.

Effective, without being obnoxious.

https://egwguns.com/wecs.php?store=232536056986&action=display&target=30815

Not to hijack the thread, but does anyone here have an opinion on this compensator from Ares Armor? I kind of like the idea of the tuneability of it. I may try one for $99. We know for sure their legal after the ATF raid.

http://aresarmor.com/store/Item/effin-acomp556

Not to hijack the thread, but does anyone here have an opinion on this compensator from Ares Armor? I kind of like the idea of the tuneability of it. I may try one for $99. We know for sure their legal after the ATF raid.

http://aresarmor.com/store/Item/effin-acomp556

Yikes! I don't know about that one. Seems gimmicky. I don't think I could discern the difference in performance to truly "tune" a brake simply by plugging or opening small holes.

On the other hand, if one of those things come loose I bet it get shot out like a bullet. I would have spend a lot of time inspecting that thing before and after each session to feel comfortable using that thing around other shooters.

Yikes! I don't know about that one. Seems gimmicky. I don't think I could discern the difference in performance to truly "tune" a brake simply by plugging or opening small holes.

On the other hand, if one of those things come loose I bet it get shot out like a bullet. I would have spend a lot of time inspecting that thing before and after each session to feel comfortable using that thing around other shooters.

Those were the exact same concerns I had myself about it. I had the same thought about one of those set screws blowing out becoming a projectile. Thanks for the input.

NJ does not have a Approved Muzzle Device list, nor does NJ measure actual "flash reduction" when determining if a device is hider or not. Everything is based on opinion of the NJSP Firearms Unit and the pinky test is merely an unofficial guideline.

Who's pinky do they use to do this test? My pinky is rather small. George Foreman's, Hulk Holgan's or any NFL linebacker prob has a slightly larger pinky.