iRescue

Multiple calibers OR stick with one or two?

Been a firearms owner for a few years now.

I have 2 handguns in my collection. Glock 19 and Glock 26.

I like the 9mm platform and I have a good deal of ammo stocked up.

My question is....do you guys stick with one or two calibers or get various guns in a bunch of different calibers?

If I stick with 9mm I'd like to get a Beretta 92A1 or Sig 226

If I go different caliber id like a 1911 of some sort.

What do you guys think?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I currently have a shottie, 2 handgun calibers and 2 rifle calibers.  9 and 45 are both very common and I keep that stocked at all times, as I use both often.  My 5.56 is my main rifle caliber and I got a 7.62 strictly as a fun gun. I probably wont have *too* much on hand, but it is pretty cheap.

I definitely don't want to go into another pistol caliber unless I decide to get a revolver (which will be another fun gun). I have no interest in .40, .357 sig, .45 gap, 10mm etc.  Most guns in those calibers have the same exact model in one of the calibers I already own. 

2 calibers isnt bad at all. 

im about to work on my second semi auto centerfire handgun, and it will also be a 9mm (probably the 92A1 as well).  Like yourself, i have a bit of ammo stocked up for that caliber, so I wanted to get a second gun in that caliber before worrying about getting into something different.  I will also possibly be thinking about a .357 since we already have a little 38 snubbie.    oh, and  22 pistol and 22 rifle, and i got lots of that ammo.. 

I've tried to limit the number of calibers I stock, for simplicity and economy.

I have only two handgun calibers:  9mm (mostly), and a couple of guns in .40 that I rarely use.  (Well, actually I also have one in .22lr.)

I have three rifle calibers:  .22lr, .223/5.56, and 7.62 (just added the last one)

My three shotguns are all 12 gauge, by far the most common round, including 00 buckshot, birdshot, and slugs.

Boy, am I the wrong person to ask this question. I did a quick inventory and here's how it stacked-up.

Handgun calibers: 1 rimfire and 14 centerfire calibers

Rifle calibers: 3 rimfire (includes a duplicate of the 1 rimfire above) and 10 centerfire calibers

Shotgun: 3 gauges

Hey, in for a penny, in for a pound. Don't forget that I have acquired these over 45 years of shooting, so you new guys have some time to catch-up.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

I promised myself to "KISS",pretty much only had 9mm's,38's/357's and kept loyal to that edict for many years but then the Colt Army 1911 entered the fold and now I was searching for .45 ammo that didn't cost half a tank of gas......

Recently a slew of LEO trade in's have been showing up in .40 and I'm feeling the itch.

In essence.....never say never.

I look at it a different way.  When ammo was scarce I could usually find something because I use .22lr, 9mm, 40sw, 45acp, 38spl, 357mag, 44spl and 44mag.  If I only using the most common calibers (9mm and 45acp) there were times I couldn't get any and I was SOL if I wanted a range trip.  IIRC, the ranges were limiting purchases to 1 box at a time.

Now I learned, and keep a stockpile of it all.  I buy it as the opportunity presents itself, and use it the same way.

How often to you shoot and how much ammo do you go through?

You can enjoy many calibers, but don't necessarily have to stockpile thousands of rounds of each. If you want a .357 mag revolver (trust me, you do) get it and buy ammo as you go. I've made a conscious choice to avoid .40 because I just don't particularly like shooting it. Otherwise, I don't restrict myself.

I'm lucky if I get an hour at the range every couple months right now. I'm only going through a few hundred rounds total each time. It's not too hard to keep that much on the shelf.

At present, I own only pistols and a 12G. For the 12G, primarily #8 birdshot or 00-buck. For pistols, 9mm or .45 acp.

I know many like .22 for "plinking" but I guess I don't "plink..."  :D

When we get to the "rifle" part, I'll have to consider other things. 

I keep guns for 3 reasons.

1) Self defense

2) range fun

3) disaster prep.

After hearing some of your thoughts.. I think I'll get the beretta and maybe a revolver like a 357 that can also accept 38 spl

Maybe down the line I'll get into 45 and other calibers.

For rifle I'm sticking with .22 and 556 (ar platform)

Shotgun is 12 ga with a mess of different loads.

I have to pay for wedding and stuff so funds will be a bit tight. I think keeping to the one caliber will probably be best for now.

What do you guys thinking the Beretta??

Good plan for now as it's definately cheaper ammo-wise to have one caliber, BUT you do need a revolver in there because once you've shot one, and I don't mean just one time, well, you just need one. Besides, a .357 is really a 357 and a 38. Then there is no doubt that a 1911 is an all time classic and there is a reason that we love our 45s. I totally disagree with the 22lr snobs. Plinking is a blast and the shortage of 22 ammo out there means there are plenty of people doing it.  

If I ever got another 9mm to go with my CZ, it would be the Beretta, but I don't really know why. Something about the look of the thing.

Finally, two letters, AR. Total hoot.

The reality is they are all great.

Oh yeah, and a 308 is good too....

Being one who used to have a gun in every popular caliber, my vote is to stick to one caliber, specifically, the 9mm. Performs as well as you can expect out of a handgun, easier to control, and cheaper than the bigger calibers.

That said, if there's a specific gun you want that works best in a different caliber, then knock yourself out. All of my semi-autos are 9mm now, except for one .45. The only reason I have that is because I still enjoy a good 1911, and 1911s generally work best in .45 ACP.

I've been resisting adding new calibers to the stable, but it's not easy!

I own instruments in:

.223/5.56

.357/38

9mm

12 gauge

between those 4 calibers, I've managed to get a pretty nice selection of firearms that are different enough to shoot, but use common ammo and have some mag commonality too.

that being said, I've been infected with .308 battle rifle disease, and it may be serious

(for my bank account)

Boy, am I the wrong person to ask this question. I did a quick inventory and here's how it stacked-up.

Handgun calibers: 1 rimfire and 14 centerfire calibers

Rifle calibers: 3 rimfire (includes a duplicate of the 1 rimfire above) and 10 centerfire calibers

Shotgun: 3 gauges

Hey, in for a penny, in for a pound. Don't forget that I have acquired these over 45 years of shooting, so you new guys have some time to catch-up.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Same here. Over time you just find yourself adding and adding.  Two years ago I cleaned house, just got too out of control. Decided as little as possible on foreign calibers and nothing over 30 caliber in center fire rifle.  So..............

Handguns  2 rim fire, 6 center fire and 1 black powder

Rifles  3 rim fire, 6 center fire and 1 black powder

Shotguns 2 calibers

I'll chime in here in say that there's no right answer to this. It's a matter of preference more than anything else*.

To answer the original question, I keep it simple:

38/357

9mm

45ACP

*some ppl say having guns in numerous calibers would help if things get ugly you gotta scavenge ammo.

I say to that:

A. Where are you finding stockpiles of .380, .41 mag etc, but no guns to go with it?

B. If you have to hit the road, are you seriously bringing 12+ handguns in different calibers on the off chance that you'll run into some ammo for one of them?

C. If you end up bunkered down at home/bug out location, you'd be better off having invested in reloading supplies, than having to go out looking for ammo.

P.S. There are 1911s chambered in 9mm. Though if you buy one, some ppl might judge you, lol

I keep guns for 3 reasons. 1) Self defense 2) range fun3) disaster prep. After hearing some of your thoughts.. I think I'll get the beretta and maybe a revolver like a 357 that can also accept 38 splMaybe down the line I'll get into 45 and other calibers. For rifle I'm sticking with .22 and 556 (ar platform)Shotgun is 12 ga with a mess of different loads. I have to pay for wedding and stuff so funds will be a bit tight. I think keeping to the one caliber will probably be best for now. What do you guys thinking the Beretta??Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Get a Beretta you will not be sorry. My first gun was a 92fs and I love it. Plenty of good mags (mecgar and factory) availability. It comes with 15 round standard or 10 round. Comes with a decocker which is also the safety.

The gun eats anything I shoot and is both accurate and easy to clean. Feels great in the hand much like my CZ's. (SP 01 and 75BD).Metal vs poly. Sexy and very affordable too.

good luck!

Get a Beretta you will not be sorry. My first gun was a 92fs and I love it. Plenty of good mags (mecgar and factory) availability. It comes with 15 round standard or 10 round. Comes with a decocker which is also the safety.

The gun eats anything I shoot and is both accurate and easy to clean. Feels great in the hand much like my CZ's. (SP 01 and 75BD).Metal vs poly. Sexy and very affordable too.

good luck!

found a great deal on a 92fs as well cant wait to pick it up! 

As of now i only have common calibers. I have been feeling the same itch with al the .40 glock trad-ins.

22lr....9...45

12g

7.62x39......5.56

so yeah, LONG way to go until pizza bob status ha

I know the OP asked about pistol caliber, but I wanted to share my whole picture.  I try to KISS but it still tough so I have the following FIVE calibers:

.22LR, 9mm, .45ACP, .223/5.56 and 12ga.

I find it's pretty tough to keep it just one caliber, as some may say a pistol is a backup to a rifle.  So you already have 2 at minimum, tack on a .22LR plinker you have 3 and the most abundant caliber is the 12ga, so that's 4.

It all adds up... ARG!!!!  The only caliber that I didn't "need" was the .45ACP, but everything else was sort of "required."

The least number of guns a person will own will probably be THREE, considering you get a caliber exchange kit for the 9mm and .223/5.56 to shoot .22LR.

However, I've considering the 10mm for months now but finally decided against it... just for the sake of KISS.

I guess a lot depends on what you want them for.  I just did a mental inventory and I have .22LR, 9mm, .40 S&W, .45 ACP, .38 SPL, .357 Mag.

I use several different ones for IDPA and USPSA competitions.