Sign in to follow this  
maintenanceguy

Accurate AR for Newbie

I've been hunting and shooting for almost 40 years.   I own several firearms of all types including several rifles.  I do not own an AR and am considering purchasing one.

I'm a believer in function over form - I'm not interested in all the cosmetic features that make an AR look tacticool.  I do like that they seem to be very reliable, compact, and there are unlimited parts available.

What I am interested in is accuracy.  I'd like my new AR to be at least 1/2 MOA and better would be nice.  I'd also like ballistics that would allow consistant shots out to 400 yards.  I'm not sure 5.56 reaches that far consistantly.

So, if you were buying an AR and were primarily interested in accuracy to 400 yards, what would you buy.

Oh, I'm also looking to spend no more then necessecary.  If something that does all of this is available for $700, I'm happy to pay that and skip the one that's $2000 but looks way cooler.

get a match grade crowned barrel. if you are going to build i would look at a matched receiver set with a tension set screw. and i wouldn't buy any AR, you get much more bang for your buck if you build it. do your research and buy good stuff the first time.

An outstanding choice.

It's the same one I use (except mine is the left-handed version) to shoot Across The Course (200-300-600yd) and MidRange Prone (600yd) matches at Cumberland.

And I made Master (94-97%) with mine the end of last season.

Add a good match trigger (like a Geissele HiSpeed) and front and rear match sights and you'll find that the shooter is the weak link in that chain, not the gun.

On the other hand, there are shooters using Service Rifles (20" bbl A2's) and kicking butt out there at 600 slow prone. But they are the exception rather than the rule.

And all this in .223Rem!

Come on down to Cumberland this weekend.  Opening match for the new season for both High Power Disciplines.

PM me for more details.

av5v8y.jpg

Cheesy picture but I’m trying to do something similar, scope will be exchanged within a few weeks. shot it last week so far so good

PSA lower and WW upper fit perfectly opposed to my last assembly which was a Spikes lower and WW upper

Built one with a Wilson Arms 1:8 SS Wylde 24" Bull barrel, solid Hogue handguard.  RRA lower with 2 stage match trigger and RRA Operator A2 stock.  Groups better than me.  Will try to get pics if camera will work.  Cost of build w/o glass was under $1,000 about two years ago.

If you are interested in accuracy, I would suggest a White Oak Armament. They make the barrels up to 26" match grade Wilson blanks and a headspaced bolt carrier group. They are designed for the High Power Rifle Competition market. Match this with a heavier grain bullet and you should be able to go past 600 yards with no issue.

http://www.whiteoakarmament.com/xcart/home.php?cat=259

Just to note that they are not taking orders for service rifle uppers but are taking orders for match and varmint uppers.

You can then mate it to any off the shelf lower. The only other thing I suggest is a good trigger.

Glass is another entirely different issue and can cost as much as the entire rifle itself.

431956ae-225c-4847-ad9e-516f38b93185_zps

fa86b177-b855-48c3-b28d-0f09857fd951_zps

RRA lower with RRA 2 stage trigger, Operator A2 Stock

Hogue grip

Troy battery assist device

Wilson Arms 24" SS "Wylde" 8T Bull Barrel w/Rifle length solid handguard

Chrome AR-15 Bolt

Optics 8.5-25 X 50 illuminated reticle with sunshade

Harris Bipod

This is a Sightmark scope. Retails for around $200. Very clear, but not the final option. It is taking up residence here until I can decide on a better one. Gets the job done out to 400 yards. Has its faults, but very good at this price point. Really looking for a first focal plane option in the future.