The 22 lr decision.  

40 members have voted

1. 1. Which 22 rifle do you think I should get? Keep the wallet in mind.

• Sako quad range
    • Savage MkII
    • CZ 455
    • Ruger American
    • Marlin XT

Been looking to get into the rifle world but don't want to spend the money associated with moving to 5.56/.223 I know it is pretty cheap but .22lr is even cheaper. I want something bolt action for accuracy and to force a little more discipline on the trigger and ammo use. I like something that other people don't really have which is why for my handgun I went FNX 45 and not a 1911 or Glock. ( I am definitely getting a 1911 someday though, just too damn pretty not to get one). I have started a poll with some that I have come across that fit my criteria, albeit flexible criteria.

Magazine fed
Bolt action
Preferably wood stock
iron sights( not necessary)
Good looks, let's be honest not one wants to shoot the Ford Edsel of the gun world ( cough Glock cough)

Please feel free to add in some that I have over looked to add to my frustration and confusion. But it will be appreciated advice. Thanks in advance for the votes and advice.

I've found the savage mkii to be super-accurate, and i have a buddy who has one and has put some upgrades into it. I know there are  a lot of good upgrades available, but out of the box it's probably one of the most accurate guns I've shot.

That being said, I only have two complaints. I don't like the mag-release, which is basically a little tab you pull back towards you. Also, and this applies to all bolt-action .22 rifles, but i feel like the operation is kind of awkward since the rearwards pull for the bolt is so small, it feels a bit awkward to me.

But if you're looking for a bolt action .22, I'd say the savage is a good way to go.

I have the Savage MKII and bought it because of the price point ($159 on sale I think) and I was pleasantly surprised with its accuracy.  My wife and kids love shooting it as well.

I have a Savage Mark II with the wood stock onto which I added a Cabela's 2-7x scope zeroed at 100 yards.

With Remington Golden Bullets (of all things) it's pretty accurate.   I've had some off target fliers with other ammo brands (bulk quality) and a few fail to extracts with Winchester white box, but generally it'll eat/shoot anything.  I've only got ~1,600 rounds through my barrel so it's just getting broken in  ;)

It's not much in the fashion department though as the wood looks more like plastic.

I've never shot any other the other options you listed, but you say you're looking for a bolt action.  Isn't the 597 a semi-auto?

If you want to keep it dirt cheap, go with Savage.  For something nicer looking I'd probably pick up a CZ.

I have a Savage Mark II with the wood stock onto which I added a Cabela's 2-7x scope zeroed at 100 yards.

With Remington Golden Bullets (of all things) it's pretty accurate.   I've had some off target fliers with other ammo brands (bulk quality) and a few fail to extracts with Winchester white box, but generally it'll eat/shoot anything.  I've only got ~1,600 rounds through my barrel so it's just getting broken in  ;)

It's not much in the fashion department though as the wood looks more like plastic.

I've never shot any other the other options you listed, but you say you're looking for a bolt action.  Isn't the 597 a semi-auto?

If you want to keep it dirt cheap, go with Savage.  For something nicer looking I'd probably pick up a CZ.

There are aftermarket stocks available. But I'd rather save some money than have a pretty gun, especially if later on I can make it prettier.

I see it like this. Sure you can go out with a super-hot chick, and she'll look good on your arm, but if it's not fun being with her, what's the point? Better to find that girl who's totally fun to be with, and maybe later on she'll get a different haircut or something, and look stunning. Same thing applies to rifles.

I'm a relatively inexperienced shooter, but I've found that even with the iron sights, I can get nickel sized groups at at an indoor pistol range using CCI Minimag with the savage--not bad for someone who can count their range trips on both hands. A buddy of mine has a stock one (Apart from a scope and I think an aftermarket polymer stock), and hits the same groupings on a bullseye at 100yds or so (IIRC, maybe it's 100 feet). The gun is scary accurate in the right hands with no work. I also know that one of my times at SJSC, a guy was shooting it at the 100yds area practicing for competition, and I don't think he mentioned having any significant upgrades into it. It's just a really nice gun, especially for the price.

Yeah that was my mistake. I have a whole list of rifles including semi-autos and that was snuck in there by mistake.

I've adjusted the choices and added in some. 

I voted for the Savage Mark II, though I do not own one of the Mark IIs just yet.  I do however own a Savage 93R17 (TR), which is the big brother of the Mark II models, and I absolutely love that rifle.  I have plans to purchase at least one more 93 series - either in .22WMR or another .17HMR - and at least one or two Mark II models.

I see you also mention the Marlin XT-22 - I do own one of those, and I've had very good luck with it.  It's been perfectly reliable for me - it was the first rifle (and second gun) I ever purchased back in 2011.  It probably has 5000 rounds through it, and every person I have brought to the range as a guest has shot that rifle.  It has been accurate with pretty much all ammo I've fed it - from crappy bulk ammo through higher end match ammo.

Knowing what I know now, I'd probably have opted for a Savage Mark II heavy barrel as my first rifle, if I could.  I love the XT-22, but I think that the Savages are simply better rifles.  That said, I doubt you can or will go wrong with any of the models you asked about...

I will second what others are saying about the Mark II.  I have a Savage Mark II BTVS heavy target barrel in stainless with thumbhole stock as well as a Cooper 57M classic.  Both are 22LR left handed models.  The Cooper was about 4 times the cost of the Mark II BTV. In terms of my holding skills both shoot about the same at 100 yards.  I can consistently hit 1.5" groups using CCI mini-mags off a tripod. I have the same scope mounted on both rifles. 

The BTV is one handsome looking rilfe with its wood laminate thumbhole stock.  It features Savage's accutrigger which enables you to adjust the trigger  pull, (but it's a pain-in-the ass to do).  It's at the higher cost end of the Mark II line, but offers good value and the best bang for the buck at that price point, in my experience.

I want something bolt action for accuracy and to force a little more discipline on the trigger and ammo use. I like something that other people don't really have 

Word of caution from someone who has been there: when you go looking for things other people don't have, sometimes there is a reason other people don't have them.

For the rifles, Sako is top-notch, but not "easy on the wallet."  Both CZ and Savage are near competition ready out-of-the-box and heirloom-quality. CZ is the less common (IMHO) but that can vary by club or discipline. I have a Savage MKII BTV and with a Nikon 3-9x40; with concentration, it's capable of exceptional accuracy.

I don't have any firsthand experience with the others.

Word of caution from someone who has been there: when you go looking for things other people don't have, sometimes there is a reason other people don't have them.

For the rifles, Sako is top-notch, but not "easy on the wallet."

Well I have an FNX 45. Something that most people don't have but not because it is bad. I think it awesome.

But that Sako in the range model stock is just so damn pretty to me.

I have a plain jane cz 455 Varmint and really like it ( nice accuracy right out if the box and nice stock). Then since I can't leave good alone.... I also have a 455 with boyd tacticool stock and lija straight 900 bull barrel which is my benchrest gun . At $750 it competes very well with anchultz and coopers match guns which are in the $1k and above range.

I vote for the SAVAGE MK 11 with accutrigger I have the BRJ Heavy barrel model. You can get the entry level gun cheaper, the MARLIN XT is a great gun also the new RUGER AMERICAN. If you want high end CZ , RUGER 77 series.

Well I have an FNX 45. Something that most people don't have but not because it is bad. I think it awesome.

Relax, I'm not insulting the FNX. Yes, it is less common, and by all accounts, excellent.

I'm referring to guns like the Benelli R1 or MP95: they're not bad, but most people don't have them. The main reason is, most people can accomplish the same thing for less money (excluding, for example, competitors).

The other reason is accessories and aftermarket parts: expensive, if even available. I saw Sako Quad 22 magazines for $45 at Midway USA - maybe they can be found cheaper, but you get the point.

You said cost is an issue, so I'm keeping that in mind. As said, I've made these mistakes. Also, I'm all for unique firearms - but what I consider rare is something more like an original Sig P210: hard to find, even if you have money.

Relax, I'm not insulting the FNX. Yes, it is less common, and by all accounts, excellent.

I'm referring to guns like the Benelli R1 or MP95: they're not bad, but most people don't have them. The main reason is, most people can accomplish the same thing for less money (excluding, for example, competitors).

The other reason is accessories and aftermarket parts: expensive, if even available. I saw Sako Quad 22 magazines for $45 at Midway USA - maybe they can be found cheaper, but you get the point.

You said cost is an issue, so I'm keeping that in mind. As said, I've made these mistakes. Also, I'm all for unique firearms - but what I consider rare is something more like an original Sig P210: hard to find, even if you have money.

Didn't think you were insulting it. Just pointing out my taste of firearms and my hypocrisy in keeping it wallet friendly. FNH mags are not cheap neither was the damn gun for that matter. Still love it and wouldn't change a thing. It also took me 8 months to decide on it, while I waited for the permit of course.

Got a chance a the American and the 10/22 at a Ruger promotion. All the way in Wisconsin, visiting gf's family. Really like the American even with the silly name. Smooth bolt, locking in the down position will take some time to smooth out. Trigger was pretty good. Length of pull is meh for me. Maybe a little longer would be nicer.

The 10/22. I must be he only person in America that can't get the bolt release to work. It is only the most widely used, available and loved 22 rifle in the world. So count me as embarrassed, but in my opinion that bolt release system is stupid. Pull back and press in that tiny sliver of metal up towards the action? It just doesn't make sense. And that stupid thing hurt my finger trying to get the release toggle into place. Also no hold open bolt on the last shot is also silly to me. I like everything else about it though.

Now to get my hands on the others.

The 10/22. I must be he only person in America that can't get the bolt release to work. It is only the most widely used, available and loved 22 rifle in the world. So count me as embarrassed, but in my opinion that bolt release system is stupid. Pull back and press in that tiny sliver of metal up towards the action? It just doesn't make sense. And that stupid thing hurt my finger trying to get the release toggle into place. Also no hold open bolt on the last shot is also silly to me. I like everything else about it though.

FWIW, I struggle with the bolt release on the 10/22 as well.  I can usually get it to latch, but then struggle to release it

Other than that, I love my 10/22.

Check out the Savage Mark II TR it mimics the dimensions of a center fire caliber so it doesn't have that "cheap" 22 feel. Great rifle and has a reputation for being accurate.

Who is John Galt?

I am so excited I figured out how to change my signature.

The Savage Mark II is a great value .22 rifle. If you add a Boyd's Tacticool stock and DIP bottom metal, you have one fine rifle. I put on a Bushnell 3200 10x Tactical scope pretty much because I got it for $120 new, or I would have gone for a SWFA SS scope instead. I use the Burris Signiture scope rings because they don't scratch the scope and the inserts give me an extra 20moa without having to buy another rail. I have a Nikon Prostaff 4x32 with the same rings to use if I want to plick at close targets.

SAvageMKII_FVSR_zps7feae70f.jpg

If you're on Facebook, check out the NJ Guns for Sale page...someone in Manville has a Savage Mark II with a 4X32 scope and wood furniture listed for $180. Claims about 200 rounds fired.

This signature is AWESOME!!!