CMJeepster

2014 opening day of trout season

Whos's heading out this Saturday to start off the trout fishing season? I'm still debating where to go. I have good intel on the local stocking of the D&R, but want to take my kayak out as it's not seen the water since the last week in December.

I tend to stay away from the rivers the first few weeks because I don't like to fish in a crowd. That's why I like to fish in the rain also. If I get the itch I will head out to one of the wild streams I frequent because there is never a crowd there. 

I used to make it out as a matter of tradition on opening day when I lived in PA, but now it all depends on the family schedule. I've done the shoulder-to-shoulder thing and hate it. I'd rather enjoy my day because that's what's it's all about, right?

If you are going to trout fish this season I suggest going out early this year. The state is only stocking for the first four weeks this year instead of the normal 7 weeks. that's due to the Fernculosis outbreak at the Peaquest hatchery. They already euthanized 114,000 brook and Brown trout. The Rainbows seem to be much more resistant to the disease, so thats mostly what will be stocked this year. 570,000 Will be trout stocked this season so its not a total bust.

I hate to say it but I am somewhat happy about the outbreak at pequest. It's going to keep some people from fishing as much this year. I have also heard that they are concentrating the stockings on the more popular rivers. So I am hopeing that the small streams that I fish won't be hit as hard by the guys that chase the stocking trucks. Not to steal the thread but has any one fished franklin NC or around there? I am going this fall for a week and am trying to gather info. It's supposed to be killer for trout fishing and the lake I am staying on has land locked salmon!

I saw the truck stocking the Metedeconk the other day and they put in a lot of fish. I saw 7 nets full and they were still throwing them in when I left. They were throwing them in from the top of the truck down to the water which is maybe another 15-20 feet so they took a beating that day.

I won't be out until the crowd thins a little. There is a better chance to catch a rooster tail in your eye than a limit of trout!!

Grrr... Hit 3 local places today with the kayak. 1st one was windy and I wound up loosing a brand new Binsky to what I think was a channel cat. 2nd was crowded with extremely annoying shore fishermen who brought their loud-mouthed family (including stroller-aged kid) with them. He thought I was drifting too close to his lines and yelled about it. I told him to relax and he threw his tackle at me. I left before things got nuts. 3rd place didn't have any trout but was rumored to have some nice large mouth bass. Didn't see squat. Best part of the day was loading the yak into the Jeep and breaking a rod tip. FML. Time to have a drink and shower...

Well at least you got out! I was driving around a bit on Saturday and noticed that the spots that I passed were not as packed as I expected. Not sure if it was because it was a bit cold and windy so it kept the fair weather fishermen home or I wonder if some people did not go out due to less fish being stocked because of the problems at Pequest.

The wind made me not want to sneak out Saturday. Lake or stream, I don't like the wind while trying to fish.

My trend continued today as my Humminbird portable fishfinder unit came in to my local Walmart at 11:43 this morning. I went to pick it up at ~12:30 this afternoon. I was told that it wasn't off the truck yet and I should come back later. I didn't argue and left the store. Guess I'll have to raise a stink AFTER I actually get the thing in my hands tomorrow. FML...

I went out on Sun with my boy. Didn't catch squat in the waywayonda river (brook) but had some quality time in the sun.

Where the hell is paulinskill river by the way? The shitty directions on the njdfgw site put me in some industrial zone in Sparta...it looked like they stocked about 8k fish preseason in the river

I went out on Sun with my boy. Didn't catch squat in the waywayonda river (brook) but had some quality time in the sun.

Where the hell is paulinskill river by the way? The shitty directions on the njdfgw site put me in some industrial zone in Sparta...it looked like they stocked about 8k fish preseason in the river

It basically runs down Rt. 94 south from around Stillwater through Freedon down into Blairstown then to the Delaware. Blairstown probably has the most access to the public.