JayWilling

New NJ gun bills stalled?

They might be in a way. I don't think there is any other state with a large disconnect between what they believe is real simply by them stating it and what actually winds up happening. Back when they passed the AWB, compliance was near zero. Their view of it was that they won and those evil assault rifles went away. Kind of like all the non-registered NFA items from WWII bring back went away, which is why we see news stories about a pile of machine guns from WWII showing up dumped someplace or a widow bringing them into a police station. Now, the story is look at the level of non compliance, the crazy gun nuts want to start a war. At least post mainstream news outlet spin. The last thing NJ politicians want to acknowledge is that they are powerless morons and that their brilliant ideas don't work. I'm not saying it is a primary motivator, but when they have to think about push coming to shove, they do ask themselves how they will look when the dust settles. 

Raz- you bring up a very good point.  Think about it, even if we were to allow our law makers to run unabated and enact every gun law they want, what happens 3 or 5 or 10 years down the road when they realize that none of it has made one bit of difference in crime, violence or anything else for that matter other than further pushing law abiding sports people out of the state.

At some point these law makers have to be made accountable, at some point they have to realize that the only way to make things better is to improve our education system, improve the educational opportunities to minorities and those in urban areas, to create good jobs and an employable population and somehow bring back the core family unit as a support system and replace gangs.

Obviously making real change is hard, but saying that "guns are bad lets ban them" is easy and gives them the appearance of doing something to make things better

Plus punish the criminal has a secondary problem. You can be made a criminal with a stroke of a pen. I can't even get behind punish the criminal anymore because walking down the sidewalk is a crime now. 

exactly.  that's why I said if you're going to go that route, it has to be victim crime.  It has to be something egregious, not jaywalking or spitting or some ridiculous non-crime crime.

I'm a bit young, why is it that NJ's politicians are so vehemently anti-gun? Like why are they almost excited to ban 15 rounds, or break legislative policy to ensure bills get through, or ignore the people that show up in objection to these bills.

Its fashionable and its a low-impact demographic.  We basically created our own problem with the FID system by creating a barrier of entry.

How many times have you taken a friend shooting and they are very excited - until they have to fill out a form and wait.  How many times have you gone over to their house and saw the form on their kitchen table weeks after you've taken them shooting?  The inconvenience of filling out the FID form and fingerprinting creates artificial barriers which basically restricts gun owners to people who are hunters, enthusiasts and collectors. 

So with a high barrier of ownership we basically have a population that doesn't own guns, doesn't know anything about guns and doesn't know anybody who owns a gun.  So when you have a population like that, the legislature can pass all kinds of crazy laws - because it only causes pain to 15% of their voting base.

Look, I can look at an AR-15 and say: "Not my style, but have fun with that." 

The average soccer mom who grew up in Cherry Hill, attended school at Rutgers and basically returned to Cherry Hill to squirt out more kids has only ever seen a AR-15 looking gun when she was 13 on her Bat Mitzvah trip to Israel.  It scared the crap out of her then and she ain't really feeling it now.  

Every couple of years lawmakers use these guns as brooms to sweep all of these people in the voting booth.

So why wouldn't politicians do this?

Its fashionable and its a low-impact demographic.  We basically created our own problem with the FID system by creating a barrier of entry.

How many times have you taken a friend shooting and they are very excited - until they have to fill out a form and wait.  How many times have you gone over to their house and saw the form on their kitchen table weeks after you've taken them shooting?  The inconvenience of filling out the FID form and fingerprinting creates artificial barriers which basically restricts gun owners to people who are hunters, enthusiasts and collectors. 

So with a high barrier of ownership we basically have a population that doesn't own guns, doesn't know anything about guns and doesn't know anybody who owns a gun.  So when you have a population like that, the legislature can pass all kinds of crazy laws - because it only causes pain to 15% of their voting base.

Look, I can look at an AR-15 and say: "Not my style, but have fun with that." 

The average soccer mom who grew up in Cherry Hill, attended school at Rutgers and basically returned to Cherry Hill to squirt out more kids has only ever seen a AR-15 looking gun when she was 13 on her Bat Mitzvah trip to Israel.  It scared the crap out of her then and she ain't really feeling it now.  

Every couple of years lawmakers use these guns as brooms to sweep all of these people in the voting booth.

So why wouldn't politicians do this?

McBethr - With all due respect, and although I agree with many of the points you made in this post, what's this "we" stuff? If I am not mistaken New Jersey legislators enacted the P2P and FID nonsense 40+ years ago with no vote from the citizens. We did not create this issue. Progressive elitists did. Unfortunately, we have to live with this unconstitutional situation for the time being.

I hope SCOTUS sees it the same way. One can only hope.

Still don't understand why NJ gun owners continue to play defense. Please tell me why the pro gun representatives are not proposing 30 round mags, scrape silly evil gun features (flash hider, pin stock, etc) and making some real noise that way. If they proposed that legislation and the national (NRA) megaphones started screaming "NJ is trying to be like the rest of the States, the anti-gunners are committing crimes against their constituents freedom", we may start to push the tide back.

Always playing defense makes us look battered, pitiful. Start pushing forward, take it to them!

I agree. If gays can claim not being allowed to get married is a violation of their Civil Rights (and win), why are we not going on the offensive to fight that New Jersey is violating our Constitutional Rights??? We need to go on the offensive and stop playing defense to "concede" to these bans. How we consolidate this is the question.

Plus punish the criminal has a secondary problem. You can be made a criminal with a stroke of a pen. I can't even get behind punish the criminal anymore because walking down the sidewalk is a crime now. 

“Show me the man and I’ll find you the crime.”

Lavrentiy Pavlovich Beria