Sign in to follow this  
Old Glock guy

Mossberg 930

Some of you may have seen my thread on cheek smack from one of my Mossberg 500's.

I'm thinking the silver lining in this cloud may be that it would give me an excuse to buy a semi-auto.

I've lusted after them for awhile, but couldn't really think of a reason to get one.

I was considering the 930 combo, which would allow me to use the shorter barrel for general shooting

and training classes; and the longer barrel for clays.  Anyone have one that could offer some feedback?

Does it shoot pretty smoothly?  Because if it comes down to it, I would rather continue to get smacked around by 

a 300 dollar gun than spend the extra money to get smacked by a 700 dollar one.  

Some of you may have seen my thread on cheek smack from one of my Mossberg 500's.

I'm thinking the silver lining in this cloud may be that it would give me an excuse to buy a semi-auto.

I've lusted after them for awhile, but couldn't really think of a reason to get one.

I was considering the 930 combo, which would allow me to use the shorter barrel for general shooting

and training classes; and the longer barrel for clays.  Anyone have one that could offer some feedback?

Does it shoot pretty smoothly?  Because if it comes down to it, I would rather continue to get smacked around by 

a 300 dollar gun than spend the extra money to get smacked by a 700 dollar one.  

I think the 930 shoots pretty well. But my experience may be not as typical... :)

I bought a 930 "home security" model about two months ago. I really wanted a JM Pro, but at 8+1 and 9+1 mag tubes, "out of the box," They aren't NJ legal. They're also pretty costly. So, I settled for a 930 "home security" model, and I "pimped" it up to where it's *almost* a JM Pro. The home security model comes with an 18" barrel and 4+1 mag tube. I replaced them with a 28" accu-choke barrel (with pre-installed modified choke), and a Nordic +2 extension kit to make it (6+1) and still NJ Legal.  I also purchased the C G & G  enhanced charging handle to replace the standard handle and a few other things.  

I notice much greater accuracy with the 28" barrel. I haven't yet used the 18" full bore barrel. What lengths are the barrels in the "combo" model?

I have an original model M930SPX that I got I believe first week of February 2010, Super Bowl Sunday morning.  I was lucky to be sold one accidentally in PA and had to replace the mag tube immediately when I found out it wasn't supposed to be sold to NJ buyers.

My favorite overall firearm- absolutely flawless and has not misfired or malfunctioned or "jammed" in a hundreds if not 1000s of rounds.

And yes as mentioned, the recoil should be noticeably less because the 930 uses the "extra/spent" gas from the shell firing to actually work the action of the gun, and that actually helps mitigate the recoil by acting as a counter-force forward ( i am not sure if my explanation makes sense but it is paraphrased of course.)

I also mounted a LimbSaver on my M930SPX and my other guns- LimbSaver CHANGES EVERYTHING.

Highly highly recommended.

Gentlemen, thanks so much for your prompt comments.

HBecwithFN7, looks like the Combo is the home security model with a 28" barrel thrown in, so essentially what you ended up with. The Nordic extension tube looks like a good idea, as just 4 +1 seems rather limiting.

Krdshrk, were you somehow able to plug the mag tube of the JM Pro to make it NJ legal?

Jaws, thanks for the endorsement. Sounds like just what I'm looking for.

Scrap, nice description of the recoil reduction. I've heard of the Limb Saver. The strange thing is that I can shoot all day without my shoulder getting sore, despite my puny frame. It's the cheek smack from one of my three Mossbergs that I find painful and disconcerting.

Gentlemen, thanks so much for your prompt comments.

HBecwithFN7, looks like the Combo is the home security model with a 28" barrel thrown in, so essentially what you ended up with. The Nordic extension tube looks like a good idea, as just 4 +1 seems rather limiting.

Fair enough. Just verify pricing, etc. I probably ended up paying almost what I would have for the combo model, but just make sure.

Krdshrk, were you somehow able to plug the mag tube of the JM Pro to make it NJ legal?

You would need to find a FFL/dealer that is willing to make the mods to it (i.e. replace the original factory mag tube with the Nodic +2 extension), before you accept delivery, or will sell it to you anyway (on the "honor" system that you would make the necessary mods). If the FFL/Dealer is willing to do the mods, then the question becomes,. "will they let you keep the original tube?"  That's between you and the FFL, I guess. :)

RF I definitely would not choose to argue with you but I would beg to differ here, it is my understanding it is in fact illegal to have that +7 shell tube aka a magazine for a firearm, if you were to own a shotgun it can be installed on.

I cannot find the passage I am looking for at the present moment but is there not a "readily available" clause that states if you are somewhere where something in firearms (Such as magazines in this instance but I believe can be applied  to a collapsible stock, flash hider, etc.) and you own the firearm and in fact own the device is illegal, you are committing a felony because you have the device readily available and can install it on your firearm, thus committing the felony.  

This came up on this very board in Feb 2010 I believe.  As I have detailed and has been discussed many times, I was the first (on the forum and perhaps in NJ) to own a Mossberg 930 SPX, as the gents at the PA Dick's Sporting Goods told me ( who had just got my FID and was brand new to gun buying etc.) as long as my license matched my FID I could buy guns in PA and bring them to NJ and that shotguns were all no problem for NJ...and I happily bought the M930SPX on site.  I got back, posted on here, showing off ,and everyone started saying ITS ILLEGAL ITS ILLEGAL YOU'RE IN TROUBLE!  I then had Choate overnight me a +1 magazine to replace the +3 and everyone further said, you need to get that +3 in the garbage because if you keep it, it's a readily-available high capacity magazine which can be installed on your shotgun and it's a felony.  So I threw it out.

In fact I was just literally looking to order one, as I am now moved to Florida.  I can also order the Choate pistol-grip stock for the 930 now, but I prefer the conventional stock w/  the Mossberg safety, another discussion tho.

--- ANYWAY,I mean no disrespect nor antagonism but simply want to get to the bottom of this.

Haha no problem, Scrap, it's a forum and we share our opinions!

I understand what your saying, but just like most things, it's a gray area. 

I thought a 7+ shell tube would be like say a flash hider, AK bayonet, or something of those sorts. As far as I know, owning a flash hider or AK bayonet is legal as long as they are not installed on a rifle.

Also, to the OP, the Mossberg 930 combo can be had in two configurations - a 28'' VR barrel and a 24'' rifled barrel or a 28'' VR barrel and an 18.5'' HD barrel.

Thanks RF.  Yes, I'm interested in the latter.

I pre-purchased a nordic +2 and put it in when I picked it up :)

So the JM series has the same four round mag as the others, but with an extension tube on it?  That's the piece of information I was missing.

I assumed that it was manufactured with a longer tube.

Just an update. Picked up my 930 combo a couple of weeks ago, and I love it! I've blasted away with buckshot and slugs through the short barrel at the range, and shot clays up at Thunder Mountain with the longer barrel. Actually had my best-ever round of trap with it. (Still not all that good, but better than my previous efforts.)

A question for other 930 owners:

When loading the mag tube, if a shell is not pushed in all the way, it springs back and gets caught under the feed ramp.

The instruction manual says to just eject the round in the chamber, and the stuck round will be chambered. But when I do that, another round pops out under the feed ramp. Is there any way to clear it without unloading the whole mag tube?