brucin

Opinions on first center fire rifle

I have finally saved up enough to get my first center fire rifle. I am leaning toward a Beretta CX4 in 9mm 

that takes 92 series mags. ( I have a 92F)

or

an entry level AR type in .223/5.56 like a M&P sport or a DPMS.

I want to keep out the door price to under $1,000 preferably less.

Which one should I go for? 

It all depends on what you want to do with it.

For 0-200 yds build an AR and try you're best to stop grinning. Longer than that, build a bolt gun for the purpose,

This. I don't really consider the Beretta a rifle but I see what your saying. AR is more fun to me.

AR15.... Build it if you want to maximize what you get... Buy it if you are unsure of the building...

We can all help you with a build.... An AR is a far better choice over a storm... Both guns will perform inside 100... But an ar will give you distance over the cx4...

You will regret it in the near to mid future if you DON'T buy an AR.

Trust me.  I remember reading those exact words in early 2010 and thinking, Yeah whatever, you don't know me and you probably don't know $@*$ anyway.

Sure as sugar, I soon blew the money on other guns and lusted for an AR.

Even now, I went AR-less awhile back and tried to pretend I made a conscious decision to get out of ARs but, I still secretly want one.

My dad got an NJ legal stag arms ar 5.56/.223 for 800 bucks and I'm looking at an ak variant in 7.62x39 for 600-700 ( you can get a wasr 10 cheaper) only reason I'm going AK is the ammo is cheaper overall . I have an Beretta m9 and I agree don't get a 9mm as your first rifle. Def get a real rifle caliber rifle. good luck!

It all depends on what you want to do with it.

For 0-200 yds build an AR and try you're best to stop grinning. Longer than that, build a bolt gun for the purpose,

Or, make it simpler; buy a S&W M&P 15 Sport -- you can get a New Jersey version, ready to go, for way less than your current budget.  And do your best to stop grinning.

Thanks for all the advice guys it really helped me make a decision. 

I'm going to get the S&W M&P sport unless I come across a sweet deal on a used AR in the next month or so in the marketplace here.

You can't go wrong with MP 15 sport compliant. Tanner had those for $555 or something last month.

Were they NJ neutered or would they need modifications to make them Jersey Neutered? 

Were they NJ neutered or would they need modifications to make them Jersey Neutered? 

They had PRNJ compliant models as well as free America models last time I was there.

Ar15 or an ak type, a guy in the marketplace is selling ar for $800. That's no tax or nics fees, just a heads up. Or order an ak type and have it transferred in to NJ, it's way cheaper than buying one already here, try Kentucky gun company or JG sales for nj compliant models.

Actually, the M&P Sportie surprised me with how well it does what it does.  In order to amass brass (for reloading), I have been using the inexpensive PMC .223 "bronze" with the 55 grain projectiles.  I've found that 100 yards is no challenge for this combination...