oldguysrule649

Shotgun for Hunter Educucation Class

I will be attending the NJ Hunter Education class next weekend at the Clinton WMA.  I plan to bring my own shotgun as I am familiar with it's operation.

I read somewhere (in the training manual perhaps) that when hunting you are limited to 3 shotgun shells in your gun.   (Not sure if that means you can

only have a gun capable of holding only three, or that you cannot load more then three if your gun accommodates more.  I think I saw wording both ways.)

In any event, my question is:  My Mossberg 590's capacity is 8+1.  Is that suitable to bring with me for the class? 

That shotgun is fine for the class, but not legal to hunt with. You would need to block the tube(typically by using a wooden dowel) in order for it to only accept 2 shells in the magazine before hunting with it.

Thank you.  My immediate goal is to obtain my hunting license to use the shotgun and rifle ranges at the WMAs that allow it.  Perhaps I will try actual  hunting at some point.  I do have some friends who are hunters.    At that time, I will need to do what you suggested or use a suitable shotgun.

regards

I agree to using the one they provide . You only shoot like 3 shots. And with like 50 people waiting the time one spends getting there stuff out of case And so on. You'd be done already. It's so simple to use their pump action.

BTW take the online hunter class so you can save yourself a few hours at field day. This way you can skip the whole class portion that morning and move ahead to the live fire and written test and be on your way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

My advice is to leave your shotty at home. Use te one s they provide. It helps move things along more quickly on the day. If a dozen guys show up wth their own guns, it slows things down a lot.

^^^^

THIS

I took a class last week and even though I had my own shotgun in a trunk, I ended up using the one supplied.

The only reason why I could understand someone bringing his own shotty for the class is the youth model for a minor taking class.

BTW, the guy who was talking us through the first part of the class before the live fine session strongly advised us to use THEIR shotguns even for a simple reason of not having to clean you own one just after a couple of shots, LOL

And it definitely speeds things up, agree with woodentoe.

When I took mine, I had a guy ahead of me with his own muzzleloader. Not only had he never shot a ML before, he came with his rifle still in the box. They actually showed him how to assemble, load and fire his own rifle because he refused to use theirs and they don't want to be turning people away. Held everyone up for an eternity.

My, how things have changed...when I took the class, you had to bring your own shotgun (tho they could always "find" one if you couldn't).

They used to shoot some clays, take us for a walk in the woods, simulate a deer drive, and did at least one "safety check" for the class (with loaded gun-pointed up in the air -- a VERY good reminder to check your safety!). 

My, how things have changed...when I took the class, you had to bring your own shotgun (tho they could always "find" one if you couldn't).

They used to shoot some clays, take us for a walk in the woods, simulate a deer drive, and did at least one "safety check" for the class (with loaded gun-pointed up in the air -- a VERY good reminder to check your safety!). 

This was my experience as well back in 1997. Mine was also a several-day class.

One more question.  my class confirmation lists the start time as 8:00 AM.  The training video states it's ok to arrive between 8:00 and 9:00AM.  I have a long drive. 

Does the class start promptly at 8:00 AM or is it ok to arrive a bit afterwards?

I arrived to the class in the end of March at around 08:15 (made a wrong turn and came from the wrong side of the area) and they have already been about to start the first part of the class.

I'd say try as much as possible to make it at 08:00. My experience is that everyone there was really friendly, so even if you come at 09:00 they will *most likely* still try to accept you, but I obviously can't guarantee this.

As one of those guys said later that day "All activities here as well as the exam are designed for you to pass, not fail" :-)

This was my experience as well back in 1997. Mine was also a several-day class.

remember that -- 2 nights in the classroom and then another weekend day in the field

I did that 3 separate times -- shotgun, archery, rifle  back in the late 80's

its very easy now and I concur -- use their shotgun

Get there early. The line to sign in gets long. Once everyone is signed in they will split you up depending if you need to do the walk or not, and what discipline your are taking. I would leave the shotgun in the car.  When I did my bow and shotgun together, I carried my bow around. I didn't want someone to walk away with it. I did it at Colliers Mills when they had the expo. So there were a a lot of people wandering around.

I took the Hunter Ed at Cherry Ridge today and it was interesting

1. Class started around 8:10-15 am

2. Had an initial lecture session about 40 minutes long. Unless you already know the material cold, pay attention! Everything he says relates to a question on the test. I might not have passed if not for that.

3. Since I was firearms only and did huntercourse.com, it was straight to the shotgun range where they had semi-auto shotguns. I initially panicked when I realized the targets are airborne clays, but they don't care if you hit or miss on your 3 shots. As long as you demonstrate proper gun safety, you'll pass (and yes, I missed all 3 shots  :haha: )

4. Then came the test with 80 questions, 40 on the "basic" section, 20 on shotgun, 20 on muzzleloader. If not for the initial lecture, I'm sure I would have failed the muzzle loader part. 

5. I was out a little before 10am. It helped that I was the first person to test on shotgun and didn't have to wait around for my turn.

I initially went for this just to be able to shoot at WMA ranges, but the idea of turkey hunting now has me intrigued...

Passed my hunter ed today at Clinton. Purchased my hunters license at efingers on the way home. Really looking forward to returning and using the target and clay ranges. Appreciate all the feedback. And yes, I used their shotgun. Totally not worth bringing your own.

Regards