chris327

laminate flooring install question stair bullnose

So i installed laminate flooring upstairs in my house. i finished everything except right by the stairs. I bought the bullnose the store sold me but didnt really think about it till i got to that point and it wont work. (see pics). What would be the right way to finish this so it doesn't have a bullnose sitting on top of the original stair bullnose? i guess i need something that covers the original stair bullnose and comes up to the new flooring?

post-2184-0-03908500-1396972875_thumb.jpg

post-2184-0-57555700-1396972881_thumb.jpg

Agreed and you'll need to patch in the riser to the new height.

Stair riser heights are only allowed to vary along a single flight by no more than 3/8" (from shortest to tallest riser) to avoid fall hazards. You might not care about the code measurement, but be advised that a different-than-expected riser height may cause someone to fall.

I really don't like the looks of that overlay nosing - it can produce a trip hazard at the top tread. What about having a nosing made to match the laminate that ends up flush?

Agreed and you'll need to patch in the riser to the new height.

Stair riser heights are only allowed to vary along a single flight by no more than 3/8" (from shortest to tallest riser) to avoid fall hazards. You might not care about the code measurement, but be advised that a different-than-expected riser height may cause someone to fall.

I really don't like the looks of that overlay nosing - it can produce a trip hazard at the top tread. What about having a nosing made to match the laminate that ends up flush?

yea my first thought was to cut the bullnose off and add to the height of the riser but i think it will still look off. i dont care if its perfect but im not sure how it will look.

what do you mean by you dont like how the overlay nosing looks it can be a trip hazard. do you mean having one ontop of the other? because thats not going to happen just looks stupid.

my other thought was to get a reducer that angles down and use one of those metal strips they use on carpet and have the metal strip meet the reducer. but not sure if thats a great idea.

Where could i get something like that made? i guess i would cut to original bullnose off, put a new bullnose in that wount count in the difference of the old one being cut off and cover that and match up to the new floor height?

i have carpentry and wood work, moldings and all is the worst thing to me.

I don't know squat about woodworking, but I agree with Silence Dogwood.  The overlay style looks like a potential trip hazard which would be compounded by the fact that the top stair riser would be just a bit taller than the rest.  I would find a flush design, but that's just my uneducated opinion.

I don't know squat about woodworking, but I agree with Silence Dogwood.  The overlay style looks like a potential trip hazard which would be compounded by the fact that the top stair riser would be just a bit taller than the rest.  I would find a flush design, but that's just my uneducated opinion.

yea i agree i just cut that small piece and placed it there so you can see what i mean.

What blf said. Square off the existing bullnose to match the riser and put in the new bullnose. Just make sure your riser with the laminate is within code and the height between top of new tread and any overhead is code.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

How many layers of underlayment did you install?

This click together floors that are "homeowner easy", are a major pita!

Yes, I am a carpenter, and I did sleep at a holiday in.

Your underlayment is too much, first.

Cut nosing off and add a cove mold to cover.

Worst case you are going to have to add to all the treads.

Looks like that last rise is bout 1"1/4 finish to finish out. That no bueno

Maybe backtrack and remove some underlayment and try and taper out the landing?

Its not harwood, the.stairs are but the floor upstairs is vinyl tiles.

The flooring is.a 12 mm I believe flooring with padding attached. Its the thickest laminate floori ng ive ever.seen and thats the problem. If it was homedepot normal I could use a metal strip like they use with.carpet but its too high for that.