iCARRY

AC problem in truck

My wife has a 2010 ford escape and the AC stopped working. Fan position 1 nothing comes out. Position 2,3,4 it blows but not cold. Radiator fans running at high speed as soon as the ac is turned on even on a cold start.

Anyone have a clue as to what might be wrong? Hoping I can fix it myself but if not, Any good mechanics in the ocean county area?

I've replaced a whole lot of those compressors due to clutch failure. Look at the compressor while the engine is running and see if you can view the clutch spinning. It's likely not engaged, or it's spinning 4-5rpm. If that's not the case there is a either faulty switch or leak causing low pressure.

It blows at speeds 2, 3, and 4 with the proper amount of force coming out. Just not cold.

Usually when the blower resistor fails it will only blow on High.....  but it can just be the lowest position that has failed.....

The A/C really needs to be looked at..... if something is telling the radiator fans to be on high all the time, and it is blowing just slightly cold, there is possibly a serious issue.  

Usually when the blower resistor fails it will only blow on High.....  but it can just be the lowest position that has failed.....

The A/C really needs to be looked at..... if something is telling the radiator fans to be on high all the time, and it is blowing just slightly cold, there is possibly a serious issue.  

Agreed, Sounds like two seperate issues... 

Fan blower resistor sounds fried, I had a similar issue in my old jeep.

Not getting cold air could be multiple things, from low refrigerant, to the compressor not coming on due to bad clutch or electrical issues.

My wife has a 2010 ford escape and the AC stopped working. Fan position 1 nothing comes out. Position 2,3,4 it blows but not cold. Radiator fans running at high speed as soon as the ac is turned on even on a cold start.

Anyone have a clue as to what might be wrong? Hoping I can fix it myself but if not, Any good mechanics in the ocean county area?

fan problem is more than likely the blower resistor. when i see these fail, i normally see all speeds dead, 'cept high. there is a very slight possibility that the switch in the control head is going bad. this isn't common though.

for not blowing cold. simple stuff first.

1)cycle the temp. control. verify that the vent outlet temp. goes all the way to hot. then cycle it back to cold. listen carefully(radio off). if you hear a "ticktickticktick" type of noise, you've got a problem in one of the blend control doors, or a bad blend door actuator. these are very common on fords.

2) open the hood, and visually verify that the a/c clutch engages. you'll hear a click as it does, and you'll see it spin. if it cycles too often(like once a second or once every couple seconds), your r134a is low. if it doesn't cycle at all, it could be low r134a, or other problems which could range from a blown fuse to a bad compressor.

as for the cooling fans on high with a/c turned on. this is normal. they run on high when a/c is switched on to pull more air through the condenser.

hope this helped some