NJGunGeek1980

AIM Point PRO

Anyone know of any ranges in the south / central jersey area (Ocean/Monmouth). I am in the market for a red dot only one i have tried to use was a cheep Walmart special open reflex type. If i am going to get a new one its going to be one and done have it for life of the rifle just looking to try it out before i buy it. 

I don't have one you but I'm in the same position you are in. I got to look at one on a patrol rifle once for the department that I used to dispatch for and my former boss there (High Exposure) highly recommends the Pro's. I'm just saving up a little more funding before I go buy.

Just buy it, specially if you run into a good deal, around Xmas they were going for $350. I mean sure, if you can find one to handle thats great, I'm nowhere near your neck of the woods or I'd bring mine out, but it is a very solid piece of kit, and I don't think there is anything close to it when it comes to price to performance. 

My only bitch about is the battery it uses, but they are lithium so just buy a couple of spares and you are good for the next decade or so . 

I have one also, and even though I've yet to sight it in, I'm quite happy with the fit and finish.  One thing I'd recommend though is to consider expanding your budget just a bit.  I don't remember exact specs, but if I remember correctly the Aimpoint Micro red dots weigh about half as much, and I also believe they have a longer battery life.  These are things to consider depending on what purpose this rifle will serve, but it may be worth it to save up a couple extra bucks.

Anyone know of any ranges in the south / central jersey area (Ocean/Monmouth). I am in the market for a red dot only one i have tried to use was a cheep Walmart special open reflex type. If i am going to get a new one its going to be one and done have it for life of the rifle just looking to try it out before i buy it.

I have a PRO and I'm a member of CJ. It isn't currently mounted on a rifle, but I could meet up at CJ and throw it on your rifle if you want to check it out.

Also, Blake, who responded in your thread about joining CJ has a PRO on his Tavor and I know he'd bring it out to show you if you planned a meet up with him.

Let me or him know.

i have both a PRO and a micro that you can try. I am a member at CJ and we can meet up if you want. I use the micro on an angled mount on an SPR and the PRO on a 16". Both work as expected and never had an issue with either. If you are not humping the rifle then save the money for ammo and get the PRO. 

i have both a PRO and a micro that you can try. I am a member at CJ and we can meet up if you want. I use the micro on an angled mount on an SPR and the PRO on a 16". Both work as expected and never had an issue with either. If you are not humping the rifle then save the money for ammo and get the PRO.

I'm going to have to take you up on that offer for a trip to CJ soon. My rifle is almost complete, mounted my PRO today. Gotta zero it on Sunday if I can.

That Geiselle is amazing BTW.

I have a PRO and I'm a member of CJ. It isn't currently mounted on a rifle, but I could meet up at CJ and throw it on your rifle if you want to check it out.

Also, Blake, who responded in your thread about joining CJ has a PRO on his Tavor and I know he'd bring it out to show you if you planned a meet up with him.

Let me or him know.

Njpilot is correct as always. I have a PRO on the Tavor and a T1 on a 14.5" ar. I would be happy to let anyone test them out as long as you also want to tour the club. That now gives you guys at least 3 of us (blake, njpilot, jimmyagr) to meet/shoot with.

3 T1s and 2 PROs. I am a fan.

How does the pro work with a fixed a2 front sight

Perfect co witness.

Not quite.

You need to center the optic at 1.38" over the rail for a true absolute cowitness and 1.75" over the rail for lower 1/3 cowitness.

The Aimpoint PRO QRP mount with the included spacer puts the center of the optic at 1.535" over the rail, roughly right between an absolute and lower 1/3 co-witness.

Removing the spacer in the QRP mount and putting it on flat top upper will give you an upper 1/3 cowitness - which is useless.

You can buy aftermarket mounts if you prefer a lower 1/3 co-witness.

It really isn't an issue. I know some folks that prefer it.

I have one on an AR and one on an AUG (MSAR STG E4). They work fine in the QRP mounts. There is really no discernible difference than my T1 equipped rifles. With the larger tube size of the PRO when compared to the T1, while the center of the PRO may be a little lower, the top of the tube is close enough that any loss in your field of view is not noticeable, even with a fixed FSB.

Not quite.

You need to center the optic at 1.38" over the rail for a true absolute cowitness and 1.75" over the rail for lower 1/3 cowitness.

The Aimpoint PRO QRP mount with the included spacer puts the center of the optic at 1.535" over the rail, roughly right between an absolute and lower 1/3 co-witness.

Removing the spacer in the QRP mount and putting it on flat top upper will give you an upper 1/3 cowitness - which is useless.

You can buy aftermarket mounts if you prefer a lower 1/3 co-witness.

HE is right. The PRO is somewhere in between with the mount. I zero the irons and pro independently ar 50/200 and the RD is close to the front post. With a fixed front post you dont really notice it.

So does that mean the dot would be above the sight post.

So does that mean the dot would be above the sight post.

Barely.

If you are lining up all three, they should all be pretty close together regardless of your "planned" cowitness.

How much of the optic's tube is above the sight line of the irons determines of you have an absolute, lower 1/3, or other kind of cowitness.

It's actually a little more complicated than that (that's why you can't just zero your RDS them zero your irons to the dot) but it's the gist.