NJGunGeek1980

AIM Point PRO

It's not lower 1/3. It's also not absolute. It's in between.

Hmmm.. isn't that what you said in the beginning? Lol my bad. So if I wanted that post out of the way I need a mount to put the RDS up a bit? Then another Mount to move the magnifier up?

You will never get that post out if the way without switching to a flip up type front sight*. The best you can do is a lower 1/3.

With a little time behind the optic, you won't even notice it anymore.

* You could put a carry handle type rear sight on the flattop and mount an optic up there - but then the holdovers inside of 25 yards as well as the cheek weld become complicated.

What would you suggest to save a considerable amount?

The Daniel Defense T1 mount is awesome, lightweight, and affordable.

Otherwise if LaRue is an option it is generally the "A" answer.

I have the ADM mounts because LaRue doesn't make a mount for the PRO as low as the ADM mount (I need it as low as possible for the MSAR) and they don't make one that fits the MRDS.

GG&G is an option but they can be hit or miss QC wise.

Avoid ARMS at al costs.

Noob question, but is it really an issue that it's between absolute and lower 1/3?  I mean if the post is out of the way, it's out of the way.  I'm not sure I see the issue.  Unless you're talking about lining up a magnifier that's mounted for lower 1/3.

Noob question, but is it really an issue that it's between absolute and lower 1/3? I mean if the post is out of the way, it's out of the way. I'm not sure I see the issue. Unless you're talking about lining up a magnifier that's mounted for lower 1/3.

No it's not really a big deal but it does matter.

No it's not really a big deal but it does matter.

Specifically, why though?  I have an Aimpoint PRO with the factory mount.  If it makes a significant difference, I'd like to know and resolve the issue before sighting it in.

It may sound nit-picky but a lower optic can:

Change your head position which can increase fatigue

Reduce your field of view restricting your situational awareness

Change holdovers at CQB distances

Makes it harder if shooting with a promask

Clutter the tube reducing what you can see when looking through the optic

Complicates the addition of optic accessories - think 3x Mag or PVS 14

Increase the difficulty when getting hits in unconventional shooting positions - rollover and urban prone, broke back prone, supine, etc...

So it should be better than an optic mounted with an absolute cowitness but it may not be as good as an optic mounted with the irons in the lower 1/3 of the tube.

Also, keep in mind that the larger the tube (Pro, EOTurd, M4/M5s, Trij SRS, etc...) the more forgiving the differences in cowitness are. A T1, for example, has a small tube diameter, so the lower the cowitness (cowitness being based on how high the center of the tube is above the bore) the lower the top of the optic. A Pro or M4, having a larger diameter than a T1 has more of the "tube" above the dot and is easier to use when in an absolute cowitness configuration.

All that being said, if you have a PRO in an Aimpoint QRP mount, you are going to be fine. It holds zero and is a well built mount, it is just built to a different set of dimensions than just about every other mount out there. You may need to work around a few things but it is not impossible - just different.

After reading this thread, I'm surprised there was no mention of Bobro mounts. They seem to be quite the underdog.

They cost more than larue, like $100 more, why would I buy them? Well at least for scopes. Their aimpoint mount is just a few bucks more. They are made well. and they use some funky fasteners to boot.