njpilot

Just One More Reason To Leave This State

We are the last state, # 51 including DC as reported, in working for yourself.

We work until May 2nd where as most states work until Apr 2nd to pay for your annual taxes.

4 full months, 1 month more than the average until you are making money for yourself.

Ridiculous.

As reported where? I want to see what states are on the other end of the list!

We are the last state, # 51 including DC as reported, in working for yourself.

We work until May 2nd where as most states work until Apr 2nd to pay for your annual taxes.

4 full months, 1 month more than the average until you are making money for yourself.

Ridiculous.

Louisiana was #1, March 29th I think, followed by Mississippi and I forget #3. Was reported on 101.5 this morning.

both states which ranked #1 and 2 in the "misery index"...NJ was #39..

(The index is a few years old and forgive me for using statistics from Bloomturds company)

http://mobile.bloomberg.com/slideshow/2012-10-08/bloomberg-rankings-states-of-misery.html

both states which ranked #1 and 2 in the "misery index"...NJ was #39..

(The index is a few years old and forgive me for using statistics from Bloomturds company)

http://mobile.bloomberg.com/slideshow/2012-10-08/bloomberg-rankings-states-of-misery.html

It's valid. Having been to both, I wouldn't want to live either place. Along with Alabama, they are on the short list of places that not only do I not want to ever live there, but I would really rather never visit again either. Most states I have visited, there has been a list of things I liked even if the math totals up to say I'd rather not or shouldn't. Alabama could be the nicest palce ever (it's not, not even close), but having visited in summer... just no.. no no no.

I urge those of you who can to get out. Stop talking about it, just get out. Not just because of guns, for everything.

You think Christie is bad? Wait until Sweeney is governor. On an early November, 2017, evening, the overwhelmingly democrat voters of this state will "pull the chain" and flush New Jersey into a big sewer. By then it will be too late.

Up here, selling a house is almost impossible. Be prepared to bail out at bargain prices.

Our neighbors bought for $202,000 in 1989, and will be lucky to get $250,00 for it. And it's one of the nicest properties in town. On the market for 5 weeks: not one nibble. 

I'm stuck here. Don't you be.

Sussex County is different than central Union County.  Average house time on market is hours.  My friend has been trying to buy an expensive house in the Fanwood/Scotch Plains/Berkeley Heights/Warren area, and they have a hard time getting an offer down before someone else scoops up the house.

Agreed to the desire to get out. Property taxes alone are a killer. If I moved to a southern state my taxes would be less than 1/4 on a house twice the size. For the amount spent in NJ  per student in school, each kid should qualify for a full ride at Harvard based upon academics alone. Not happening though, is it? Money down a rat hole. Even in the so-called better schools the little turds come out semi-literate. NJ is a sinking ship. If my son-in-law's job and thus my daughter and granddaughter weren't here, I would be gone like a fart in the wind.

Sussex County is different than central Union County.  Average house time on market is hours.  My friend has been trying to buy an expensive house in the Fanwood/Scotch Plains/Berkeley Heights/Warren area, and they have a hard time getting an offer down before someone else scoops up the house.

I have a lot that we are getting ready to develop, I've been keeping it hush until I'm ready to build.

If your friend is still interested in Berkeley heights let me know.

The property is on the corner of Morris county, Somerset county and union county line.

Another month and I am on my way to Texas! Land of SBR's and cans!

First thing I'm doing when I officially change my residency in north carolina. I can't want to make everyone here jealous. Hopefully it'll put a spark in someone and save them from this sinking ship to. 

And what do the politicians do? Do they look at cheaper states and try to learn from them? Oh noooooo, instead they look at any low taxes we have and they are trying to raise them, a perfect example is our gasoline tax.

Remember, NJ wants to be a model for everyone else.

Agreed to the desire to get out. Property taxes alone are a killer. If I moved to a southern state my taxes would be less than 1/4 on a house twice the size.

My property taxes on a 3000 sq ft house in SC were less than $800/yr

My property taxes on a townhouse half that size in New Jersistan are nearly $8000

We had a police dept, fire dpt, garbage service, water and sewer, no potholes, no toll roads, no pistol permits, no FOID cards.........where the hell does all the money go here?

My property taxes on a 3000 sq ft house in SC were less than $800/yr

My property taxes on a townhouse half that size in New Jersistan are nearly $8000

We had a police dept, fire dpt, garbage service, water and sewer, no potholes, no toll roads, no pistol permits, no FOID cards.........where the hell does all the money go here?

Graft and corruption accounts for a lot of it. NJ also has an unusually high percentage of residents on the payroll as state or municipal government employees.

My parents recently sold a 140 acre farm with three houses on it, in Idaho. Their property taxes on the whole thing were about 5% of what I pay on a 3 BR house on an acre in Morris county.

I urge those of you who can to get out. Stop talking about it, just get out. Not just because of guns, for everything.

You think Christie is bad? Wait until Sweeney is governor. On an early November, 2017, evening, the overwhelmingly democrat voters of this state will "pull the chain" and flush New Jersey into a big sewer. By then it will be too late.

Up here, selling a house is almost impossible. Be prepared to bail out at bargain prices.

Our neighbors bought for $202,000 in 1989, and will be lucky to get $250,00 for it. And it's one of the nicest properties in town. On the market for 5 weeks: not one nibble. 

I'm stuck here. Don't you be.

Household real estate has historically appreciated at about 2% on average in the past 40 years. Not a very good investment. I think most people use 2.5-3% for average inflation.

If we assume 2% through 2007 (around $288K), a 20% drop, and nothing since, you are around $250K.

It's not prime real estate but it's not abnormal. It's about lifestyle, not money. Both are important, but they are two different things.

Household real estate has historically appreciated at about 2% on average in the past 40 years. Not a very good investment. I think most people use 2.5-3% for average inflation.

If we assume 2% through 2007 (around $288K), a 20% drop, and nothing since, you are around $250K.

It's not prime real estate but it's not abnormal. It's about lifestyle, not money. Both are important, but they are two different things.

Your math worked until the 20% drop, which would equal $232,000, not $250,000. 

I'd think the 2-3% appreciation would include bumps, both up and down. 18 years should be enough to smooth out any craziness. 

The further north you go in this county, the more serious the hit in down times. Four years after we purchased our home, at the beginning of a mini-market slump, a realtor confided that we'd be lucky to get 80% of what we paid for it. At one point it had "doubled" but now we'd be lucky to have made, total, 30% after 25 years. 

Posters tell of $800 tax bills in other states, with similar services, and ask where the money goes.

The answer is simple: Corruption used to be something that happened under the table. Now it's legislated.

Ignorant media refer to the "corrupt" Tammany Hall era politicians. Back in the 50s if a pot hole needed to be fixed in Jersey City someone in Mayor Hague's office would call the mayor's cousin, who would send two guys to fix the hole. They'd bill the city $35 and skim $10 off the top for the mayor.

Horrors!!

Today they send a crew of twelve. Two guys actually do the work. Four guys watch them, four others are on lunch break, and two hold the "STOP-SLOW" signs at either end. Not only that, but there's a squad car with a cop inside, several months from retirement at an absurdly young age, on overtime. The crew spends most of the day at the site, and the bill in terms of salaries and benefits is $5,000.

Not only that, but we pay for the contribution of those 6 hours of work towards everyone's pension for the next 30 years.

Posters tell of $800 tax bills in other states, with similar services, and ask where the money goes.

The answer is simple: Corruption used to be something that happened under the table. Now it's legislated.

Ignorant media refer to the "corrupt" Tammany Hall era politicians. Back in the 50s if a pot hole needed to be fixed in Jersey City someone in Mayor Hague's office would call the mayor's cousin, who would send two guys to fix the hole. They'd bill the city $35 and skim $10 off the top for the mayor.

Horrors!!

Today they send a crew of twelve. Two guys actually do the work. Four guys watch them, four others are on lunch break, and two hold the "STOP-SLOW" signs at either end. Not only that, but there's a squad car with a cop inside, several months from retirement at an absurdly young age, on overtime. The crew spends most of the day at the site, and the bill in terms of salaries and benefits is $5,000.

Not only that, but we pay for the contribution of those 6 hours of work towards everyone's pension for the next 30 years.

Well said and very true. It always amazed me to see this in NJ when we lived there. Just sad that it's like that.

$800 in taxes on a 3k sq ft house is great, what area of SC though may I ask? It can range obviously, but we pay $1600/yr on a 3,682 sq ft house and live 20 mins from Charlotte in South Carolina. Still thousands less than our condo we still have in NJ.

$800 must be in a smaller town or more rural area I'd imagine or near Columbia? But all the same still awesome.

NJ is a slum! It's never going to get better ,only worse and more expensive. I hope it just falls off into the Atlantic along with most of the self absorbed, arrogant, it's all about me

inhabitants. The cost of living sucks, the highest cancer rate in the country, about as corrupt as it can get and in general the people suck.

NJ is a slum! It's never going to get better ,only worse and more expensive. I hope it just falls off into the Atlantic along with most of the self absorbed, arrogant, it's all about me

inhabitants. The cost of living sucks, the highest cancer rate in the country, about as corrupt as it can get and in general the people suck.

+1000

oneshot- you really need to stop beating around the bush and let us know how you really feel.  And I couldn't agree more!

$800 in taxes on a 3k sq ft house is great, what area of SC though may I ask? It can range obviously, but we pay $1600/yr on a 3,682 sq ft house and live 20 mins from Charlotte in South Carolina. Still thousands less than our condo we still have in NJ.

$800 must be in a smaller town or more rural area I'd imagine or near Columbia? But all the same still awesome.

I lived in Ladson, about 40 mins NW of Charleston. Left in 2005. My niece is still there and just bought a condo in Mount Pleasant....right around 1500/yr tax bill