Recently, Congressman Rush Holt (Twelfth District New Jersey) stated in a newspaper article "... we manage to live quite comfortably with New Jersey's gun laws."

I decided to write him (since he's clueless) and fill him in on exactly how uncomfortable, and unconstitutional, they are.   I received a more-or-less form letter back, along with a handwritten note that said:

"Perhaps you do not live comfortably with New Jersey's gun laws, but if so, you are , I am sure, in a clear minority of New Jerseyans.   Your view of the Second Amendment, while legitimate, is also clearly in the minority and neither is it in keeping with current jurisprudence."

Please, take the time to write Congressman Holt and let him know how "UNCOMFORTABLE" New Jersey laws are.   The problem with most of these folks is that they NEVER hear an opposing viewpoint:

Congressman Rush Holt

1214 Longworth Building

Washington, DC  20515

Thank you,

SD

By the way the "view of the Second Amendment" that he objected to, expressed in my letter, was as follows:

"First of all the Second Amendment conveys no rights as you have implied.  The Second Amendment does not ‘grant’ the right to keep and bear arms, it is simply a prohibition against government infringement on the natural right to self-defense by use of arms, which is protected, yet not contained within, the Second Amendment.   That is because Madison, Jefferson, Washington and our other founding fathers recognized that unalienable rights are self-evident, from nature and not to be ‘granted,’ nor trodden upon, by governments."

According to news reports, Holt will not seek reelection when his current term ends.

I tried putting the link in this post, but it doesn't work after I save.

Instead of wasting time and energy writing this lame duck, maybe we should work to identify and elect a candidate with a better understanding of  2A.

You ain't gonna change his mind and after January 2015 his opinions won't matter.

http://www.myfoxny.com/story/24755728/rep-rush-holt-of-nj-wont-seek-re-election

Instead of wasting time writing this lame duck, we should work to identify and elect a candidate with a better understanding of 2A.

Bad link

Recently, Congressman Rush Holt (Twelfth District New Jersey) stated in a newspaper article "... we manage to live quite comfortably with New Jersey's gun laws."

I decided to write him (since he's clueless) and fill him in on exactly how uncomfortable, and unconstitutional, they are. I received a more-or-less form letter back, along with a handwritten note that said:

"Perhaps you do not live comfortably with New Jersey's gun laws, but if so, you are , I am sure, in a clear minority of New Jerseyans. Your view of the Second Amendment, while legitimate, is also clearly in the minority and neither is it in keeping with current jurisprudence."

Please, take the time to write Congressman Holt and let him know how "UNCOMFORTABLE" New Jersey laws are. The problem with most of these folks is that they NEVER hear an opposing viewpoint:

Congressman Rush Holt

1214 Longworth Building

Washington, DC 20515

Thank you,

SD

By the way the "view of the Second Amendment" that he objected to, expressed in my letter, was as follows:

"First of all the Second Amendment conveys no rights as you have implied. The Second Amendment does not ‘grant’ the right to keep and bear arms, it is simply a prohibition against government infringement on the natural right to self-defense by use of arms, which is protected, yet not contained within, the Second Amendment. That is because Madison, Jefferson, Washington and our other founding fathers recognized that unalienable rights are self-evident, from nature and not to be ‘granted,’ nor trodden upon, by governments."

In response, use the James Madison quote in my signature line about the 2A.

He explains your 2A view is "legitimate" but "clearly in the minority". So what? One of the purposes of the Bill of Rights is to prevent the majority from voting away important and inane human rights like those listed in the 2A. It is his duty as a legislator to understand that. Clearly he does not.

Also recent "jurisprudence" has in fact been reinforcing that 2A is an individual right, to be held under strict scrutiny legal tests when a law comes in direct contact with 2A issues. Here is a very recent case outlining this http://ia800902.us.archive.org/4/items/gov.uscourts.idd.32180/gov.uscourts.idd.32180.42.0.pdf . So I have no idea what his recent jurisprudence comment is referring to. Perhaps he's referring to the biased NJ District courts, who rule against or completely twist the new tests and concepts introduced in Heller/McDonald and other 2A rulings by district courts. CA, Chicago, MD all come to mind in favor of the new 2A interpretation...

Instead of wasting time and energy writing this lame duck, maybe we should work to identify and elect a candidate with a better understanding of  2A.

You ain't gonna change his mind and after January 2015 his opinions won't matter.

I totally understand your point;   I know he's on the way out ... AND I refuse to see a sitting US Congressman make a public statement like "We all live comfortably with NJ gun laws" go unchallenged.

"Perhaps you do not live comfortably with New Jersey's gun laws, but if so, you are , I am sure, in a clear minority of New Jerseyans. Your view of the Second Amendment, while legitimate, is also clearly in the minority and neither is it in keeping with current jurisprudence."

So Rush Holt openly advocates discrimination against minorities??

A couple of NJ gerrmanders ago, Holt was my congresscritter. We needed to contact his office about something or other (definitely not political) and his staff was useless. Since he's now "retiring" -- if he was unresponsive to his constituents before he announced this, he'd be even less responsive now.

Was there a response to the newspaper article directed to the newspaper itself?

Those "Wild West" states that Holt and his ilk claim to want to avoid with restrictive firearms laws here are significantly safer places to live than New Jersey.  His 12th District includes Trenton, and "Wild West" states are much, much safer than the streets of Trenton. Holt claims to be a scientist, but there is no link between cause and effect apparent in his position.

If "... we manage to live quite comfortably with New Jersey's gun laws." and "we" is his constituents, it's because many of the people he represents choose to ignore New Jersey's gun laws. For the rest of us, the laws are very uncomfortable.

Rush Holt is my representative. I asked his office for help on several occasions and every time was surprised how efficient and helpful his office was. I also complained couple times about things I did not agree with and also got a personal response on those issues. I do not know if he personally writes notes or not, but it is surely rare when you get handwritten note from your representative. I also do not call him names, neither in mail nor behind the back; maybe that's the difference.

I never got any reasonable response from any other representative besides a formal 'we got your message'.

Lame duck.

Rocket scientist.

Has "Rush Holt" stickers on his personal vehicles.

Represents a Democtratic stronghold of NJ.

He won't ever change, so why is this a shock?

He lives a "few doors down" the road from me. Our area is, thankfully, rather quiet, but we do have the occassional home or (property) vehicle invasion. I doubt that he or his family was home during or after Sandy when the power and phone lines to our area were not functioning. Even so, I'm sure his house staff were watching out... ;-)

Lame duck.

Rocket scientist.

Has "Rush Holt" stickers on his personal vehicles.

Represents a Democtratic stronghold of NJ.

He won't ever change, so why is this a shock?

I know he won't 'change' but when they never hear how outrageous their public statements are they become more confident in their delusions.

He lives a "few doors down" the road from me.

Oh, great, perhaps a hand-delivered note then?  :o)

Our area is, thankfully, rather quiet, but we do have the occassional home or (property) vehicle invasion. I doubt that he or his family was home during or after Sandy when the power and phone lines to our area were not functioning. Even so, I'm sure his house staff were watching out... ;-)

Now, you have an opportunity to come confront the Democrats running for the seat he will vacate:

http://njgunforums.com/forum/index.php/topic/68674-civil-rights-candidates-forum-in-princeton-5114-700-830/#entry870770

This forum includes Linda Greenstein, of "Confiscate, confiscate, confiscate" fame.    Won't you come and finally RESPOND directly to her comments??   You can ask questions!

I got an email from Holt saying he will not run for reelection.

I am sad to say I voted for him, but only as a "Thank You" for nominating me to the US Naval Acadamy in 2001. I have stince stopped voting for him, I guess gratitude only goes so far when he is such a giant douchenozzle.

We are wasting time with this, he will not run for another term, we might as well focus on defeating whatever Dem steps up to attempt to fill his seat.

Look, the guy said, publicly "we all live comfortably with New Jersey's gun laws."   If you agree with a major politician getting away with saying that, unchallenged, then fine.   I realize he's not running for another term ... there's a good chance that one of the "confiscate, confiscate, confiscate" ladies will go to Washington.