Howard

Lost one of my Huskies today :(

"No Dogs In Heaven"

An old man and his dog were walking down a hot, dusty road lined with a beautiful white fence on both sides. As they walked along, the old man and his dog became very thirsty and tired.

Soon, they came to a gate in the fence where, on the other side, they saw a nice grassy, wooded area surrounding a cool clear pool of fresh water. "Just where a thirsty 'huntin' dog and a man would like to rest!" thought the old man. But there was a sign over the gate that read "No Dogs" so they walked on.

Further on, they came upon a man in flowing white robes standing just inside a strong iron gate across a path that led to a beautiful, sunny meadow with a cool clear stream running through it.

"'Scuse me Sir," said the old man, "My dog and I have been on this road all day. Mind if we come in and sit in the shade for awhile?" "Of course!" The man said. "Come on in and rest. You look thirsty and tired." The old man said, "We sure are!" and started through the gate with his dog.

The gatekeeper stopped him. "Sorry, you can come in but your dog can't come with you. "You see, this is Heaven, and dogs aren't allowed here. He has to stay out here on the road." "What kind of Heaven won't allow dogs?" said the old man. "Well, if he can't come in, then I'll stay out here on the road with him. He's been my faithful companion all his life and I won't desert him now."

"Suit yourself," said the gatekeeper, "but I have to warn you, the Devil's on this road and he'll try to sweet talk you into his place. He'll promise you anything, but dogs can't go there either. If you won't leave that dog on the road, you'll spend all Eternity on the road with him. Better if you stay here."

"Well, I'm stayin' with my dog," replied the man and he and the dog walked on. Gradually, the fence became more and more faded and rundown until they finally reached a spot where the boards fell away completely leaving a gap. Another man dressed in old, ragged clothes sat just inside the broken fence under a shady tree.

"'Scuse me Sir," said the old man, "My dog and I have been on this road all day. Mind if we come in and sit in the shade for awhile?" "Of course!" The man said. "Come on in and rest. There's some cold water here under the tree. Make yourself comfortable."

The old man paused, "but what about my dog? Can he can come in, too? The man up the road said dogs weren't allowed here, and they had to stay on the road." The other man answered, "Well, you look pretty tired and thirsty. Would you come in here and rest if you had to leave that dog?"

"No sir!" the old man replied, "A glass of cold water and some shade would be mighty fine right about now but I won't come in if my buddy here can't come too. I didn't go to Heaven because my dog couldn't come with me, so I sure as how ain't about to go to Hell without him neither."

The man smiled and said, "Welcome to Heaven, and bring your dog!" The old man exclaimed, "You mean this is Heaven? And my dog can come with me? Then why did that fellow down the road say they weren't allowed in Heaven?" The man replied, "That was the Devil and he gets all the souls who are willing to give up a life-long companion for small comfort because they think it will make their lives a little easier."

The man continued, "They soon find out their mistake, but, then it's too late. The dogs come here, the fickle people stay there. God wouldn't allow dogs to be banned from Heaven. After all, He created them to be man's companions in life, why would he separate them in death?"

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge.

There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together.

There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by.

The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author unknown...

Howard so very sorry for your loss Iremember those awesome pics you had of them in the snow this winter. Just remember that he will be missing you more than you miss him. Hes in good hands now. And feels no pain. My thoughts are with you.

My heart goes out to you Howard. Many of us have been there and we can feel your pain.

A dog is the one being that when you're having a bad day, a little nose in the face and a kiss will make you smile. May he RIP.

From one Husky daddy to another, I am so sorry for your loss.

I lost my two huskies within a year of each other about 7 years ago. I was devastated. It took me 5 years to finally get another (My current picture). He changed everything.

Don't make the same mistake I did and wait that long. A new friend can turn horrible grief into great memories of the past and wonderful adventures in the making.

Again so sorry for your loss.

Thank you so much for the out pouring of support and well wishes.  As I tell everyone the stereotype of gun owners could not be farther from the truth.  Just about everyone I have met on this forum and at the range and at competitions are the nicest people around.  Just the fact that about 50 people here were nice enough to extend their well wishes in only a dozen hours is testimony to that.  THANK YOU EVERYONE!

As many of you know I am a real Husky lover and Trent was our third, with our three year old Roxy being the only one still with us.  Kirby and Kaybee made it to 15 years, and we knew for a while that the end would be coming.  What is so hard with this is that Trent was only half their age, and we really had no warning.  Up until about 10 days ago he was in perfect health as far as we were aware.  We have had him on a diet since the start of the year as he had gotten up there in weight.  Unfortunately we were certain his diet was working and never attributed that his weight loss might be anything but good progress - but it may have been a sign that something was wrong.  He never seemed sick and was always happy.  Until a week ago he would go for two mile walks everyday.  Then about a week ago he got picky with eating.  He went without food for two days, but Huskies sometimes do that.  I went out and rather than his dry food got him canned food.  He wolfed down three cans and seemed fine.  Then the next day he would not touch that.  The next morning, Sunday, he was so lethargic that my wife took him to a vet clinic at a small mom & pop pet store she loves. As most pet owners know, its tough to find a vet on Sunday.  They examined him and ran a few tests and gave him an antibiotic.  Monday he was worse so we took him to the vet's office and took blood and ran other tests.  It came back positive for Lyme, but these guys have had that many times even with the vaccine that sometimes protects against it.  They gave him a bunch more antibiotics and sent us home.  He started to improve over the day and Monday night seemed a lot better.  Tuesday when he got up he was a little shaky,  By mid morning he was just laying outside and panting. We went to take him to the vet but could not even get him up.  We ended up sliding a blanket under him and picked him up that way.  We got there and they said they were not optimistic.  They ran more tests and found his kidneys were shutting down.  He stayed there getting IV's and other stuff till Thursday morning.  Weds night they said it looked better and we could probably pick him up Thursday morning.  When we called Thursday morning we were told we should take him to a high tech emergency vet for ultrasounds and other tests.  Our regular vet has all that equipment so we took him there.  They got to work right away and took x-rays, blood, and got to ultrasound going.  They gave him an IV and said they would do what they could.  At 3:30pm I got the call that the Ultrasound had been read and he had total Kidney failure and everything else was shutting down.  They suggested that since everyone goes home at 8pm we should consider a 24hr vet so he would have constant monitoring over night.  My wife was out so I told them I would call them back in an hour or so when she got home.  At that point I knew what we had to do.  I was glad my wife did not have her cell phone as I probably would have called.  I made up my mind and when she got home we both cried a lot and decided to go and tell them to let him move on.  When we got there we found that they had an oxygen mask on him and were really just trying to keep him alive so we could say goodbye.  Roxy had been going crazy the last two days looking for him so I decided against my wife's protests to bring her with us.  The vet told her that it was important to do this so she could see him and understand.  I don't know if that is true, but she does seem better today.  We sat with him for a while, and then sent him on his way. Still crying as I sit here and rehash this.  Unfortunately we will never know what really happened.  They said they don't think it was just Lyme and could have been Crypto something or something totally else.  I guess it does not really matter at this point.

Thanks again for all your support.  Here is one last set of Trent pictures.

13778729364_64d9ce2fb5_c.jpg

I'm so sorry for your loss. I love huskies, they're great dogs. My mom had one, Sugar, and she lived a very long time. She was 20 when she had to be put down, that was when I was in 4th grade (2001). I really miss that dog, and want to get another one. They're just great dogs.

I also lost my bulldog Rudy two years ago. I'm still torn up over that one. I know how it feels.

Howard, my girls, wife and I send our most heartfelt condolences on your loss. Reading your last moments with him brought back memories of my own, most recently with my Mollie, a husky mix. He looks majestic, and loved. I don't get damp eyes too often (not since I had to put Mollie down four years ago) but your words brought a tear to my eyes.

God bless his soul, he's earned it.