AnthonyC83

No more reference letters for p2p in my town..anyone else?

Now they're doing phone calls. I put in my paperwork for 2 permits on 3/26 and last night my references both got phone calls within a few minutes of each other. They were told my app is in final stage and should be done soon if all goes properly. It's only been 2.5 weeks! Anyone else's town doing phone calls now? This was a big surprise to me when he told me that.

On a side note..I haven't put in for a permit in a few years, so I fully expected I'd have a good 6-7 months to save up for what I want! Meaning 3-4 months for the permit plus another 3 before they expire. Now I have like 3-4 months total if the permits come back anytime soon. LOL..what a problem to have right..permits being processed too quick for the budget to handle.

What town?

You can always extend them. I had 3 and used 1 so far due to lack of funds. The 2 remaining were extended on the spot.

Sent from my iPad 2 using T2 Pro

Now they're doing phone calls. I put in my paperwork for 2 permits on 3/26 and last night my references both got phone calls within a few minutes of each other. They were told my app is in final stage and should be done soon if all goes properly. It's only been 2.5 weeks! Anyone else's town doing phone calls now? This was a big surprise to me when he told me that.

On a side note..I haven't put in for a permit in a few years, so I fully expected I'd have a good 6-7 months to save up for what I want! Meaning 3-4 months for the permit plus another 3 before they expire. Now I have like 3-4 months total if the permits come back anytime soon. LOL..what a problem to have right..permits being processed too quick for the budget to handle.

I believe my township still sends out letters. However, since I used the same references on my 2nd batch of P2Ps (within 3-4 months of the 1st), I suspect they were not sent out again. My two references did not report getting a 2nd set of letters.

I go through the NJSP and they call, no letters.

I would guess it's a bit more "advantageous" for the NJSP (and/or other agencies) to call and not send "form letters," since that affords them a better opportunity to draw out the callee and gain more info via "social engineering" than what is put on the standard reference form. They can also, perhaps, read the voice "tells" of the callee as well. Now, if all they're doing is just reading he questions off the form, then why bother calling? I think they get more input from calling than from the written form.

That, and the bureaucracy saved by not having to send out docs, receive them back, and ensure they're filed properly. :)

My town hasn't done reference checks on me since my original FID applications.  They don't do them for just a P2P, though I've heard if there hasn't been an application for a P2P within the past year they will then do the reference check - but I can't verify that since I apply for P2P whenever I use the last one from the previous group.

I would guess it's a bit more "advantageous" for the NJSP (and/or other agencies) to call and not send "form letters," since that affords them a better opportunity to draw out the callee and gain more info via "social engineering" than what is put on the standard reference form. They can also, perhaps, read the voice "tells" of the callee as well. Now, if all they're doing is just reading he questions off the form, then why bother calling? I think they get more input from calling than from the written form.

That, and the bureaucracy saved by not having to send out docs, receive them back, and ensure they're filed properly. :)

Not saying it can't happen but since several of us use each other as references we all get calls from the NJSP on occasion and I can state that all of my calls have been very brief and to the point an fairly informal.  They ask a few canned questions and maybe make some brief small talk but I don't suspect anything more. 

The reference system is stupid and means nothing. What if I referred someone and they end up committing mass murder? What happens to me? Absolutely nothing.

Sent from an undisclosed location.

mine lets me take the "letter" with me and have the person fill it out and sign it right there.

I'm starting to think some towns are figuring it out... that theses forms and letters and whatnot are total bullshit.

mine lets me take the "letter" with me and have the person fill it out and sign it right there.

I'm starting to think some towns are figuring it out... that theses forms and letters and whatnot are total bullshit.

Exactly, they are complete bull.  They only exist to help keep anther barrier in place that prevents law abiding citizens from purchasing firearms.

Same here.  They never even call my references either.  On the bright side, it only took them a week and a half to get me my newest P2P.

Same here.  They never even call my references either.  On the bright side, it only took them a week and a half to get me my newest P2P.

It is a small glimmer of hope that they got mine done faster as well. Let's not let it be a red herring that makes us complacent though. Getting shit done faster just means you have the runs; it's still shit though.

I just applied for P2P about 2 weeks ago with Jersey City and again they sent out reference letters that NEED to be notarized!!!  The previous P2P submitted was about 6 months ago, again... and it's the same process.... My buddies are asking me... do they check every year?!?!?  I told them, only when I submit application to buy more toy.  Blah!!

In old bridge, they only send out reference letters for initial FID and if you don't apply for P2P within 2 years. I apply once a year to keep "active" , if I need them or not.

I just got the call that my permits are ready. My two references didn't get a call or a letter. Approved without a reference check?

Some towns don't actually send the letters after the intial check. I know my town only sent out the reference letters the first time I applied for the FID but never for follow up P2P.

I just got the call that my permits are ready. My two references didn't get a call or a letter. Approved without a reference check?

I think we are starting to see more of this, especially with the increase in permit requests lately. 

I agree. Had a few things worth noting. I missed a check box on the app and they called me a few months after I handed it in to take my response for the box over the phone. When I went to pick up my 3 permits only 2 were ready. They said the third never made it up and they would call to get it sent. They said it would be dated respectively.