Oleg

fid to look at gun?

Do I have to have fid to take a gun in my hands in a gun store? Was denied today to look at a gun I am interested in buying.
I wonder if store manager made this rule up to get rid of me or it is some kind of law I know nothing about? 

possibly weeding out the lower than tire kickers out there.  I can both understand it, and think it's poor business manners as I can see it from both sides.  I don't have an answer though.

It'll be interesting to see how a shop reacts if I ever manage to bring a fresh off the range virgin to a shop so they can see the different choices out there.

I have little issues with this, and it doesnt bother me much at all.

As a car salesman you wouldnt want to spend an hour or 2 pitching a new corvette only to find out the person doesnt have even have a drivers liscence would you?

Well, there's a difference between spending two hours going for a sale and a few minutes to let someone hold a few guns to become a potential new owner in a state that can't afford to turn away any people from this hobby.

Should I really post topic appropriate porsche ad here? :)

As a car salesman you wouldnt want to spend an hour or 2 pitching a new corvette only to find out the person doesnt have even have a drivers liscence would you?

That depends. You don't need a DL to own a car. In fact you don't need one to DRIVE a car on private property. A DL is only required to drive on public roads. You could buy a car, have it trailered off the lot, to your property, and drive it to your heart's content. you could even drive it at a track, provided the track doesn't require you to have a DL.

My feeling exactly. I am hopefully about a month away from getting fid, and if there is a choice between that place and somebody else guess who will get my business.

when I first got my FPID, I remembered ALL the stores that would NOT let me look at the guns I was going to buy...and I have NOT been to those stores again... 

Well, there's a difference between spending two hours going for a sale and a few minutes to let someone hold a few guns to become a potential new owner in a state that can't afford to turn away any people from this hobby.

That depends. You don't need a DL to own a car. In fact you don't need one to DRIVE a car on private property. A DL is only required to drive on public roads. You could buy a car, have it trailered off the lot, to your property, and drive it to your heart's content. you could even drive it at a track, provided the track doesn't require you to have a DL.

:roulette:

It's an analogy, not an exact point for point match to the FID situation.

I've never been toa gun store in NJ that has not asked me for an FID card, it's pretty much common practice.

Who knows, maybe showing your FID to the counter clerk first ensures:

A) You might actually buy a gun, since you can legal own.

B) You've gone through rigerious background checks, so he knows you may very well be half trust worthy when he places a new $1,200 dollar pistol in your hand and you dont run out the door with it.

C) It's the store owners policy, I dont get mad at mcdonalds when they limit me to 3 sauces with my chick nuggets. It's just the way it is.

Do I have to have fid to take a gun in my hands in a gun store? Was denied today to look at a gun I am interested in buying.

I wonder if store manager made this rule up to get rid of me or it is some kind of law I know nothing about?

I think you forgot to tell everyone what you were looking at?!?!?

I was looking at Walther PPQ. I only wanted to make sure I can hold it comfortably. I discovered recently there are pistol grips that are too big for my wide palm/short fingers hand. It would be a waste of dreaming power if it turns out walther does not fit me well.

I think you forgot to tell everyone what you were looking at?!?!?

This is a huge pet peeve of mine. As others have mentioned, it's not a law and I confirmed this with a senior person at NJSP. But there's apparently an NJSP inspector who's going around telling FFLs that it is the law.

:roulette:

It's an analogy, not an exact point for point match to the FID situation.

I've never been toa gun store in NJ that has not asked me for an FID card, it's pretty much common practice.

Who knows, maybe showing your FID to the counter clerk first ensures:

A) You might actually buy a gun, since you can legal own.

B) You've gone through rigerious background checks, so he knows you may very well be half trust worthy when he places a new $1,200 dollar pistol in your hand and you dont run out the door with it.

C) It's the store owners policy, I dont get mad at mcdonalds when they limit me to 3 sauces with my chick nuggets. It's just the way it is.

Really? So I guess that means you have no problem with FFLs that require a prospective buyer to present a permit to handle gun either. And while we're at it, maybe permits should only be valid for 24 hours since a lot can happen to a person during a 3-6 month period. Heck, I find it hard to believe someone that got their FID 20 years ago will still be "trustworthy" today. if I were an FFL, I'd feel a lot more comfortable holding on to a drivers license so that I can at least see that the ID belongs to the person instead of an FID that might come from a stolen wallet. 

And I'm not one to be happy with NJ gun laws because "It's just the way it is". 

I was looking at Walther PPQ. I only wanted to make sure I can hold it comfortably. I discovered recently there are pistol grips that are too big for my wide palm/short fingers hand. It would be a waste of dreaming power if it turns out walther does not fit me well.

I have extremely short fingers and the PPQ with the smallest backstrap fits me perfectly. If that won't fit you then no full-size pistol will. In case you're convenient to RTSP, they've specially made a point of not requiring FIDs to handle a gun. 

Really? So I guess that means you have no problem with FFLs that require a prospective buyer to present a permit to handle gun either. And while we're at it, maybe permits should only be valid for 24 hours since a lot can happen to a person during a 3-6 month period. Heck, I find it hard to believe someone that got their FID 20 years ago will still be "trustworthy" today. if I were an FFL, I'd feel a lot more comfortable holding on to a drivers license so that I can at least see that the ID belongs to the person instead of an FID that might come from a stolen wallet. 

All excellent ideas, I'm going to submit these proposed changes to my state legislator. Thank you for your time

Don't you guys have REAL problems to worry about?  Yes, a lot if not most gun owners have been asking for FID to handle a gun since I was in highschool. You don't have to shop there.

Personally, I would ask for it too. Actually, I would never run a gun shop because to me the notion of handing guns to strangers is odd to start with, but if I was going to do that I'd like to perform the bare minimum of checks that the person is unlikely to point it at me or run out the door with it. 

Yes it stinks if you are waiting for your FID, I'm sorry, lots of things are like that.

Please don't give me the constitutional right thing, because the shop owner has his own rights and most people here I'm sure have no issue with asking for ID to vote.

Oleg, just choose *your* store, that's basically it. This or similar topics have been discussed here for a while and I wholeheartedly agree with intercooler - I generally have a very long memory about business not treating me right and make sure my hard earned money goes *only* to those who do.

I would even say more - some stores out of state will almost force you to handle their guns even if you tell them explicitly that you were out-of-state and could not buy there no matter how much you wanted it, LOL. That happened a lot to me in PA and I just see it as a matter of a sales culture. While I am not buying a gun there (simply because I can't), I gladly make those shops as a main spot for accessories and other gun-related stuff. Heritage Guild Easton is a prime example of such a spot for me - it is roughly an hour drive from my place and there are more ranges even in a close proximity to me, but I go almost exclusively to HG for almost a year already, because they treat me right.

My personal general rule of thumb (that not really everyone agrees to here) is that businesses should not impose more restrictions on customers than it is required by law, period. And that is not only about gun stores, I can easily give more examples of somewhat similar situations in non-gun related businesses. Maybe I think so because I am not an owner of a gun store, who knows :-)

You guys are all full of crap.

If your in the market for a gun, and the store who asks you for your FID to handle guns is $150 cheaper then the store that doesnt ask for an FID to handle, well .. -- I betcha I know where you're going to be buying it.

You guys are all full of crap.

If your in the market for a gun, and the store who asks you for your FID to handle guns is $150 cheaper then the store that doesnt ask for an FID to handle, well .. -- I betcha I know where you're going to be buying it.

LOL, the issue is that I personally will not even know that a particular store sells it $150 cheaper now, that's my point. When a place falls off my radar, it ... kind of really falls, so that I don't go or call there anymore.

Just like them damn stores that wont serve me unless I am wearing Shirt shoes and pants!

I mean, If I want to go into Arbys barefoot, I should damn well be able to ! I mean, there is no LAW against it !

Actually, in your case there almost is. Not really a law, but in the administrative code there is a picture of you with no shoes with a big stop sign overlay.