Boejoula

Looking to get into IDPA/USPSA

Either will be fine for SSP and ESP divisions in IDPA. I can't comment on USPSA as I have never played that game.

I great resource for the action shooting sports is Walt's site: http://www.nepaidpascores.net/

There are a bunch of articles to help get you started and he maintains lists of where and when shoots are being held.

http://njgunforums.com/forum/index.php/topic/37797-uspsa-idpa-a-synopsis-updated-03232014/

Both would probably put in you in production division, depending on what holsters / mag pouches you choose.

Either will be fine for SSP and ESP divisions in IDPA. I can't comment on USPSA as I have never played that game.

I great resource for the action shooting sports is Walt's site: http://www.nepaidpascores.net/

There are a bunch of articles to help get you started and he maintains lists of where and when shoots are being held.

forgot to add, the sig has TFO sights. is that a problem for production?

I'm not to familiar with production division as I dont shoot it, but the basic rules are.

Stock factory gun, but I do think replacement front sights are ok, and some other trigger modifications

guns cant be single action, either need to be DA/SA or DAO.

non race style holster, and mag pouches placed behind the hip bone on your belt.

you can only load mags to 10 rounds

OK cool I think I will definitely start in IDPA. Maybe I will pick up an 9mm xchange kit though. Factory sights and since everything is scored in minor, might as well deal with less recoil.

You'll need to make 125 power factor regardless. If you reload you can reduce the felt recoil easier with a 180gr .40 than you can with a 147gr 9mm.

You'll need to make 125 power factor regardless. If you reload you can reduce the felt recoil easier with a 180gr .40 than you can with a 147gr 9mm.

I do not reload. Anyone here sell reloads?

If you are shooting USPSA, XD9 in production or Sig in L10. Forget IDPA, USPSA is a lot more fun.

I will most like do which ever with the sig. Forgot that my XD is a pain with switching mags due to cerekote.

read all the previous post on wanting to get started in competition shooting. there you will find all the answers you need.

but in a nutshell;

Yes you can use the guns you have

blade tech (IMO) is the way to go for holsters and mag pouches

get a over/under belt (cr speed, safariland/DA) keep your gear secure on you

attend matches

For IDPA an over/under belt it's not allowed. The whole belt must pass through all but 2 of your belt loops on your pants.

Also the holster itself must meet specified retirements. Many manufacturers state whether a particular holster is legal for either sport. You'd be best advised to read the rules yourself so you know what you're buying.

Sent from my SCH-I800 using Tapatalk 2

For IDPA an over/under belt it's not allowed. The whole belt must pass through all but 2 of your belt loops on your pants.

Also the holster itself must meet specified retirements. Many manufacturers state whether a particular holster is legal for either sport. You'd be best advised to read the rules yourself so you know what you're buying.

read all the previous post on wanting to get started in competition shooting. there you will find all the answers you need.

but in a nutshell;

Yes you can use the guns you have

blade tech (IMO) is the way to go for holsters and mag pouches

attend matches

I already own a riggers belt with a raptor clip. Fits through all my belt loops. I guess the 2 loop rule is where you place your holsters?

I checked out blade-tech. They have a IDPA stater kit: http://shop.blade-tech.com/idpa-competition-shooters-pack-c-1_130.html

So if I got with my Sig all i would need is one more mag, that starter kit, and appropriate ammo.

Spot on about the 2 loops rule.

Looks like that bladetech will get you started. As for ammo, any factory ammo will do. I'd recommend 180gr as it often has less recoil than 165gr or lighter. Nonetheless, bring what you have, it will all work.

My advice is to try both gun games.  If cost of ammo is a problem, then stick with IDPA since it's a lower round-count.  If buying 3-5 boxes of ammo to shoot a match (those Texas Stars will KILL YA, lol) isn't a problem and you like to "hose targets" while standing out in the open, then USPSA is for YOU, lol!  Come to a couple matches to see what other folks are using with YOUR model gun (or similar) and ask WHY they use what they use.  Valuable information to be garnered, as Ron above mentioned!  I like to shoot both since each are challenging in their own ways.  Have fun as you explore the hobby.

Dave

Don't worry too much about the gear.  If you need something most people will be glad to lend you stuff to get started.  Read the rules, try a match or two, see what people are using and then if you want to continue (hopefully you will) go out and buy additional gear.

Can I attend matches as spectator or competitor with out being a member of the club? The money for the club is a problem right now. I signed up at Easton roughly 2 months ago so I have a while there still.

Yes.  At most places you can watch for free.  Your cheapest match is probably at Somerset (IDPA) where a non-member can shoot their first match without yet joining IDPA for only $10 and that includes two slices of pizza for lunch.  You have to join IDPA before you can shoot a second match, but no need to join the club.

^^^YES!  You can attend as a spectator--just bring eyes and ears!  Easton does IDPA i believe, so check your club calendar for specifics.

^^^YES you can attend and shoot the match as a non-member and merely pay the going non-member rates for the match fee (varies with each club).  First step is to get the holster and practice your draw with an EMPTY GUN!  Then register for the match (if pre-registrations are available).  Pay attention to any Newbie training class held just prior to the match and attend it if ya wanna shoot that match!  Any questions, email the Match Director.  It's just THAT simple!

Have fun and BE SAFE!

Dave

OK cool I think I will definitely start in IDPA. Maybe I will pick up an 9mm xchange kit though. Factory sights and since everything is scored in minor, might as well deal with less recoil.

Almost forgot to mention, caliber conversion kits aren't legal for USPSA Prouction.  I'm not sure if they're allowed for IDPA.

Almost forgot to mention, caliber conversion kits aren't legal for USPSA Prouction. I'm not sure if they're allowed for IDPA.

Thanks for that! Would have been a waste of money well spent elsewhere.

^^^YES! You can attend as a spectator--just bring eyes and ears! Easton does IDPA i believe, so check your club calendar for specifics.

^^^YES you can attend and shoot the match as a non-member and merely pay the going non-member rates for the match fee (varies with each club). First step is to get the holster and practice your draw with an EMPTY GUN! Then register for the match (if pre-registrations are available). Pay attention to any Newbie training class held just prior to the match and attend it if ya wanna shoot that match! Any questions, email the Match Director. It's just THAT simple!

Have fun and BE SAFE!

Dave

Thank you, by Easton I meant the guild :(.

Thanks for that! Would have been a waste of money well spent elsewhere.

Thank you, by Easton I meant the guild :(.

O-K, here's sumthin' to consider:

You CAN belong to more than a single range.  Easton Fish and Game dues is about 2 boxes of .45 ammo, so if ya can't swing THAT, then don't even get involved in USPSA cause the ammo tab will kill ya!  You SHOULD belong to Old Bridge, since it's a LOT closer to you and you'd only have to pay the member rate to shoot matches there.  And gas will go nowhere but UP....and ya still have to factor in wear and tear and time........

In the meantime, come to Old Bridge to watch or shoot--you decide whatcha wanna do--and I assure you that you'll have a great time meeting new friends!

Dave

Try all the shooting games. Try USPSA, IDPA, Steel, PPC, etc. They are all chocolate, but some are milk, some a dark, some have bits of fruit in them. You need to find out which flavor best suits your personality. 

Do not buy any gear you absolutely don't need. Buy a holster, mag pouches, and stop. You can use any normal belt you want to start, don't buy fancy this or special that or magic belts of fancy "concealment" vests. Shoot 5 or 6 matches of the flavor you are most interested in before you spend more money. 

Try all the shooting games. Try USPSA, IDPA, Steel, PPC, etc. They are all chocolate, but some are milk, some a dark, some have bits of fruit in them. You need to find out which flavor best suits your personality.

Lol - perfect analogy

Do not buy any gear you absolutely don't need. Buy a holster, mag pouches, and stop. You can use any normal belt you want to start, don't buy fancy this or special that or magic belts of fancy "concealment" vests. Shoot 5 or 6 matches of the flavor you are most interested in before you spend more money.

Sage advice.

All good advice so far. So if you order the Blade Tech package, all you need is another mag. Here you go...

http://www.gregcotellc.com/cart/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=97_123&products_id=616

Greg is a great guy to do business with and the mag(s) are in stock.

As has been said, you do not have to belong to a club to shoot competitive events there. Generally, IDPA and USPSA want you to join their organizations before you shoot a second match. USPSA has a little better deal for that in that you join at the match for $40 and you shoot the match for free. Also bear in mind that, going forward, match fees are generally $20 for USPSA matches and $10 for IDPA (Guthsville is $15).

First time shooters at IDPA matches do not have to wear a concealment garment. USPSA don't need no stinkin' concealment garment.

Providing Blade Tech does their part and you have the funds to cover those acquisitions, you can get started pretty quickly. Her's a list of some upcoming matches:

Easton Fish & Game / Sunday, 4/27 / IDPA - This is an atypical IDPA match. Usually round count for an IDPA match runs 60 - 100 rounds. This one is 216 rounds minimum. It is twelve 18 round stages. They should be selling "I Survived..." T-shirts. In order to shoot at this match as a new shooter, you either have to have proof of classification in another discipline or have proof of completion of any NRA Safety course. When IDPA changed the rules last October, they laid principle liability on the match director and this one just wants to cover his a$$. Walk-on - no pre-registration required. $10 entry fee

Shongum / Saturday, 5/3 / USPSA - Good match for new shooters, usually 5 stages appx round count 100 - 110. There is a new shooter briefing before the match. Pre-registration opens about 6 days before the match. $20 entry fee (USPSA members)

Guthsville / Sunday, 5/4 / IDPA - Usually 6 stages. No pre-registration required. New shooter briefing before the match. This one is $15 entry fee.

Phillipsburg / Saturday, 5/10 / IDPA - Usually 8 stages - four indoor (bring a flashlight) and four outdoor. Match director is the same as Easton so the same "pre-qualification" applies. Walk-on. $10 entry.

Central Jersey / Sunday, 5/11 / USPSA - Usually 6 or seven stages. Pre-registration opens the week prior to the match. There is a new shooter briefing. Vlad, here on the board, is the MD. $20 Entry.

Somerset / Sunday, 5/18 / IDPA - This is an indoor match of four stages. Really good for new shooters. Thorough new shooter briefing prior to match. Because this is indoor, space is limited, thus the number of participants is limited also. You must pre-register and registration for the next month's match usually opens the day after the previous month's match. It fills up quickly. Registration for the 5/18 match is currently open here...

http://www.somersetidpa.com/matches/

Easton / Sunday, 5/25 / IDPA - Notes as above, but we will be back to a regular format consisting of 8 or 9 stages.

Old Bridge / Sunday, 5/25 / USPSA - Usually 6 - 8 stages. Pre-registration preferred. $20 entry for USPSA members. Discounted entry for OB members.

There you have it. Dive right in. While I often hear a lot of people say they just want to observe before they try, truth be told, either discipline is boring to watch. You have 10 or more people shooting the same stage over & over again - not really spectator fodder. Time goes much faster when you participate. Of those people that go to observe, the majority of them, after their observation, express the desire that they wish they had just entered and shot. I would advise that path. As soon as you have enough equipment procured (buy, beg, borrow - don't steal, you'll get shot), dive right in.

Have fun. Be safe.

Adios,

Pizza Bob