Boejoula

Looking to get into IDPA/USPSA

Almost forgot to mention, caliber conversion kits aren't legal for USPSA Prouction.  I'm not sure if they're allowed for IDPA.

Russel - can you cite the rule that you are referring to? I found 21.3 which talks about replacing slides and barrels with aftermarket or factory components of the same length, contour and caliber for that model gun. Not the specific gun a competitor possesses, but that model. A P226 is available from the factory in 9 mm, .357 Sig and .40 S&W - and there is no designation on the gun, only the barrel. It would seem to me that as long as it is a factory kit - or even an aftermarket one that mimics the length and contour of the OEM parts, a caliber conversion kit, in this case, would be fine.

There is language, in the rules, in IDPA that make this questionable (8.2.1.3.11), but I would hold the same applies - it doesn't matter what caliber the gun started life as, as long as the current caliber is available in that model.

Just speculating.

To the OP - don't rush out and buy a kit - shoot your Sig as a .40 until you get some miles under you. The fractions of a second you may save are moot at this point in your learning curve.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Hmmm, interesting point, that is the rule I was referring to.  I'm used to Glocks where the model #s are different for different calibers, but for the Sig it's the same model # for 9mm and .40.  There could be an issue with the "contour" part of the rule as the .40 to 9mm conversion barrel might have a different outside diameter than the OEM 9mm barrel (at least that's how Glock conversion barrels work).

What can I say, we go there to shoot not conserve ammo...

At one point we were running 4 full stages, some up to 32 rounds. Since the crowd has picked up we are back to 2 stages 2 speed shoots.

Also we now have online registration, makes life a lot easier and we can get started much quicker.

https://www.formstack.com/forms/?1708227-7of745k4Z2

Russel - can you cite the rule that you are referring to? I found 21.3 which talks about replacing slides and barrels with aftermarket or factory components of the same length, contour and caliber for that model gun. Not the specific gun a competitor possesses, but that model. A P226 is available from the factory in 9 mm, .357 Sig and .40 S&W - and there is no designation on the gun, only the barrel. It would seem to me that as long as it is a factory kit - or even an aftermarket one that mimics the length and contour of the OEM parts, a caliber conversion kit, in this case, would be fine.

Nope, this question was asked of NROI, repeatedly, the answer is NO. You can not change the caliber of a firearm from what it came as from the factory. Of course, if you say buy a 9mm top end for a .40 M&P without tracing the serial number no one can tell. If you for example swap in a 9mm in the 40 slide then someone could tell. 

Reality time: no one cares. If you go to an area match or the nationals someone might care or notice that you have a 9mm barrel in a 40 slide, but no one in their right mind even at that level will check serial number against original caliber. 

Hmmm, interesting point, that is the rule I was referring to.  I'm used to Glocks where the model #s are different for different calibers, but for the Sig it's the same model # for 9mm and .40.  There could be an issue with the "contour" part of the rule as the .40 to 9mm conversion barrel might have a different outside diameter than the OEM 9mm barrel (at least that's how Glock conversion barrels work).

I was told when I first started shooting that I could not use my 9mm KKM conversion barrel in my Glock G22 for USPSA.

Interesting. So does that mean I could shoot it in limited 10 minor with the conversion barrel? I understand I can't shoot it in production as the barrel is not an oem barrel.

You can, but why would you want to shoot minor in L10? You can just shoot the G22 by itself(as a .40) in L10 and score major(as long a you make mpf).

Because I am not that fast, but I am generally very accurate.  Thus, I can get my hits better with my CZ75B shooting 9mm and if I get almost all alphas with the 9mm going to major doesn't really help me.  I will see if that still hold with my G35 which I do shoot better than the G22.

I already own a riggers belt with a raptor clip. Fits through all my belt loops. I guess the 2 loop rule is where you place your holsters?

I checked out blade-tech. They have a IDPA stater kit: http://shop.blade-tech.com/idpa-competition-shooters-pack-c-1_130.html

So if I got with my Sig all i would need is one more mag, that starter kit, and appropriate ammo.

Did you order this from Blade Tech, how long did it take to get?

I ordered it today

Got my Blade Tec holster and mag pouch today and let me tell you it was well worth the wait. It is really nice and I can come out of the holster so much faster than the one that came with the Range Officer.

Got my Blade Tec holster and mag pouch today and let me tell you it was well worth the wait. It is really nice and I can come out of the holster so much faster than the one that came with the Range Officer.

good to hear! if only i could stop horsing around with these ARs and get my pistol stuff together.