Boejoula

Looking to get into IDPA/USPSA

O-K, here's sumthin' to consider:

You CAN belong to more than a single range. Easton Fish and Game dues is about 2 boxes of .45 ammo, so if ya can't swing THAT, then don't even get involved in USPSA cause the ammo tab will kill ya! You SHOULD belong to Old Bridge, since it's a LOT closer to you and you'd only have to pay the member rate to shoot matches there. And gas will go nowhere but UP....and ya still have to factor in wear and tear and time........

In the meantime, come to Old Bridge to watch or shoot--you decide whatcha wanna do--and I assure you that you'll have a great time meeting new friends!

Dave

EFG has a 200 yard range I can shoot my AR at also correct? By chance do you know their hours of operation? I was gonna try to make it to the guild late tomorrow afternoon. Maybe I'll head to EFG instead.

Try all the shooting games. Try USPSA, IDPA, Steel, PPC, etc. They are all chocolate, but some are milk, some a dark, some have bits of fruit in them. You need to find out which flavor best suits your personality.

Do not buy any gear you absolutely don't need. Buy a holster, mag pouches, and stop. You can use any normal belt you want to start, don't buy fancy this or special that or magic belts of fancy "concealment" vests. Shoot 5 or 6 matches of the flavor you are most interested in before you spend more money.

Sounds like a plan

All good advice so far. So if you order the Blade Tech package, all you need is another mag. Here you go...

http://www.gregcotellc.com/cart/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=97_123&products_id=616

Greg is a great guy to do business with and the mag(s) are in stock.

As has been said, you do not have to belong to a club to shoot competitive events there. Generally, IDPA and USPSA want you to join their organizations before you shoot a second match. USPSA has a little better deal for that in that you join at the match for $40 and you shoot the match for free. Also bear in mind that, going forward, match fees are generally $20 for USPSA matches and $10 for IDPA (Guthsville is $15).

First time shooters at IDPA matches do not have to wear a concealment garment. USPSA don't need no stinkin' concealment garment.

Providing Blade Tech does their part and you have the funds to cover those acquisitions, you can get started pretty quickly. Her's a list of some upcoming matches:

Easton Fish & Game / Sunday, 4/27 / IDPA - This is an atypical IDPA match. Usually round count for an IDPA match runs 60 - 100 rounds. This one is 216 rounds minimum. It is twelve 18 round stages. They should be selling "I Survived..." T-shirts. In order to shoot at this match as a new shooter, you either have to have proof of classification in another discipline or have proof of completion of any NRA Safety course. When IDPA changed the rules last October, they laid principle liability on the match director and this one just wants to cover his a$$. Walk-on - no pre-registration required. $10 entry fee

Shongum / Saturday, 5/3 / USPSA - Good match for new shooters, usually 5 stages appx round count 100 - 110. There is a new shooter briefing before the match. Pre-registration opens about 6 days before the match. $20 entry fee (USPSA members)

Guthsville / Sunday, 5/4 / IDPA - Usually 6 stages. No pre-registration required. New shooter briefing before the match. This one is $15 entry fee.

Phillipsburg / Saturday, 5/10 / IDPA - Usually 8 stages - four indoor (bring a flashlight) and four outdoor. Match director is the same as Easton so the same "pre-qualification" applies. Walk-on. $10 entry.

Central Jersey / Sunday, 5/11 / USPSA - Usually 6 or seven stages. Pre-registration opens the week prior to the match. There is a new shooter briefing. Vlad, here on the board, is the MD. $20 Entry.

Somerset / Sunday, 5/18 / IDPA - This is an indoor match of four stages. Really good for new shooters. Thorough new shooter briefing prior to match. Because this is indoor, space is limited, thus the number of participants is limited also. You must pre-register and registration for the next month's match usually opens the day after the previous month's match. It fills up quickly. Registration for the 5/18 match is currently open here...

http://www.somersetidpa.com/matches/

Easton / Sunday, 5/25 / IDPA - Notes as above, but we will be back to a regular format consisting of 8 or 9 stages.

Old Bridge / Sunday, 5/25 / USPSA - Usually 6 - 8 stages. Pre-registration preferred. $20 entry for USPSA members. Discounted entry for OB members.

There you have it. Dive right in. While I often hear a lot of people say they just want to observe before they try, truth be told, either discipline is boring to watch. You have 10 or more people shooting the same stage over & over again - not really spectator fodder. Time goes much faster when you participate. Of those people that go to observe, the majority of them, after their observation, express the desire that they wish they had just entered and shot. I would advise that path. As soon as you have enough equipment procured (buy, beg, borrow - don't steal, you'll get shot), dive right in.

Have fun. Be safe.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Thanks for all the info PB!

Never mind, found the website. If I were to sign up online today, can I use the range tomorrow? Or rock have to wait for a meeting?

You can print out a temporary badge as soon as you join. You're GTG. I believe that SARCO also sells memberships and can give you a temp card. Easier to do on line.

You can print out a temporary badge as soon as you join. You're GTG. I believe that SARCO also sells memberships and can give you a temp card. Easier to do on line.

Somerset would be better because of their late hours. do you know when they will be accepting new members and the requirements to join?

Somerset would be better because of their late hours. do you know when they will be accepting new members and the requirements to join?

Somerset (SCFGPA) is currently closed to new members. Philipsberg might be an option, I believe their indoor range is open relatively late.

Sent from my SCH-I800 using Tapatalk 2

I guess what I'm over looking for is OBRPC lol. Somewhere I can go to shoot pistols and ARs for fun, 200+ yards would be great but at least 50 yards for the AR. And be able to compete in IDPA and USPSA. Also bringing guest would be great too, my fiance usually comes to the range with me.

So I think I'll sign up for EFGA tonight, go there tomorrow. And then once I have the spare coin, I will probably go with OBRPC because its the closest to me. OB has a pit for ARs also right? Where I could set up my own targets and "run and gun" inside the pit?

Does anyone here shoot at EFGA?

I do. My buddy and I were there for the whole day last Tuesday practicing IDPA in the "training bay". They allow drawing from a holster in that bay. It it's just to the right of the driveway that goes up to the rifle range.

got my temp card printed. gonna try to make it up there tomorrow afternoon to check it out and shoot off a few rounds.

Any suggestions on the things i should bring there to shoot for fun? i usually go to the guild which has everything you could need. even someone to sweep your brass

You'll need to take pretty much everything you plan to use:

Targets

Stapler

Ammo

Guns

Bag for used brass

Food/drink (if you're staying a while)

Wet-wipes to clean your hands after shooting

Hearing protection

Eye protection

and maybe more ammo

You'll need to take pretty much everything you plan to use:

Targets

Stapler

Ammo

Guns

Bag for used brass

Food/drink (if you're staying a while)

Wet-wipes to clean your hands after shooting

Hearing protection

Eye protection

and maybe more ammo

Thank you. I will not be able to make the next IDPA due to some Pre Cana class. The May IDPA shouldn't be a problem. Gives me time to get the extra mag and holster setup

Thanks for all the information to getting started! I'm just waiting for my belt from The Beltman and then I think I'll have everything I need to get started. I'm still a little confused about what ammo I can use. If I'm using 115gr 9mm from Freedom Munitions is that going to be ok? Also to start I'm not going to be concerned with "speed" and trying to win so much as I want to focus on safety and doing things correctly. If I have an Alien Gear IWB holster ...can I use this? I have been working on drawing and dry firing, but I'd really like to work on drawing and live firing and thought IDPA would be a good venue for this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for all the information to getting started! I'm just waiting for my belt from The Beltman and then I think I'll have everything I need to get started. I'm still a little confused about what ammo I can use. If I'm using 115gr 9mm from Freedom Munitions is that going to be ok? Also to start I'm not going to be concerned with "speed" and trying to win so much as I want to focus on safety and doing things correctly. If I have an Alien Gear IWB holster ...can I use this? I have been working on drawing and dry firing, but I'd really like to work on drawing and live firing and thought IDPA would be a good venue for this. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

from what i read. you have to make 125 power for minor and 165 for major. in production everything is classified as minor. so you have to multiply that 115 by the muzzle velocity, then divide by 1000. IDPA you will only need to break the 125. If i remember math correctly you will need 115 grain with a velocity of 1087 fps to make the 125. I would go up a few more fps to be safe

from what i read. you have to make 125 power for minor and 165 for major. in production everything is classified as minor. so you have to multiply that 115 by the muzzle velocity, then divide by 1000. IDPA you will only need to break the 125. If i remember math correctly you will need 115 grain with a velocity of 1087 fps to make the 125. I would go up a few more fps to be safe

Thanks for trying to help me understand this. I'm looking at specs for my gun and I'm seeing different FPS. If I get there and they test my ammo and it's outside of "spec" then what happens? Do I just pack up and go home?

Thanks for trying to help me understand this. I'm looking at specs for my gun and I'm seeing different FPS. If I get there and they test my ammo and it's outside of "spec" then what happens? Do I just pack up and go home?

FPS is dependent on the ammo. It will say the muzzle velocity on the box. What ammo do you have? Or plan on using?

These are just club level matches, nobody is going to chrono your loads. You're on the honor system. Most commercially loaded 9mm 115 gr usually runs about 1100 fps, so you should be OK.

You have the right idea. First time, go slow and concentrate on safe gun handling and accuracy. You can use your IWB holster with no problem.

Have fun. Be safe.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

You should be fine. The Freedom stuff should be close to factory ammo. Factory ammo will most likely make power factor.

At local clubs, it's more of an honor system. I've never seen ammo testing at a USPSA match. I reckon local IDPA matches do not test ammo either but I'm sure someone here who is an IDPA regular would comment.

Also, I'm not sure about the rules on your holster for IDPA. In USPSA, the muzzle of the handgun must be pointing within 3 feet from the competitor's feet while standing relaxed. If the muzzle is within 3 feet, you should be good but I would not use a IWB in USPSA though. With the difficulty of re-holstering with an IWB holster, you may accidentally sweep yourself and you would be going home in that case.

Guys thanks a lot for all this help!

Dargz I will start paying close attention to my re-holstering. It is possible I am ...I've been focussing on the draw and keeping my finger off the trigger until my sights are on target. I haven't even been paying any attention to re-holstering. Though I like to believe I'm not sweeping myself ever. It's definitely something I'm going to focus on starting tomorrow and make sure I have no issues.

You will never see a chrono at a club level IDPA match. At many, but not all sanctioned matches your ammo will be tested - it depends on the MD and whether he can find a volunteer to test everybody's ammo. For 100+ shooters that is quite an undertaking. You'll most likely want to get several club matches done before you step up to a sanctioned match - mostly to get familiar with the format, range commands, competition rules, etc.

So long as your equipment is safe and generally within the rules you won't be sent home from a club match. If you turn up wearing your over/under USPSA belt you'll probably be told it's illegal and then you carry on. You will never be allowed to use a shoulder, appendix or cross-draw holster as the potential for sweeping yourself or others is just too great - and the rules don't allow it. Only a strong side belt holster will do.

Mag pouches are highly recommended but not absolutely necessary - you can carry spare mags/speedloaders in a pocket. Pouches will be faster, but for your first match you'll be going slow anyway - safety is paramount, your time not at all.

For IDPA an over/under belt it's not allowed. The whole belt must pass through all but 2 of your belt loops on your pants.

Also the holster itself must meet specified retirements. Many manufacturers state whether a particular holster is legal for either sport. You'd be best advised to read the rules yourself so you know what you're buying.

Use the inner as your belt

Honestly club level (at this time anyway) is all I think I'll ever be into. I play ice hockey and over the years have settled on an "organized pickup" game that I've been playing with the same group of guys almost 15 years. I liked playing in the "men's leagues" but then it becomes about winning. I enjoy playing and with our standing pickup game it never matters which team wins (well maybe it matters right after the game but it's 0-0 at the beginning of the next lol) and it's just so much more enjoyable to me that way. Not really any fighting or anything. No "team" rivalries ...maybe a couple between players but some weeks you're on the same team as your rivalry so it never becomes too serious.

So all that being said I think the "club level" will suit me just fine and I'm really looking forward to meeting some of you guys and having some fun shooting!

BTW do any of you shoot at Old Bridge? I'm looking at their calendar and the May 2nd looks good to me. Maybe I can get there early and get acclimated ...I see helping set everything up is a good gesture for noobies too.

New OBRPC member here , and i just started participating in the indoor action on Fri nights and can honestly say it is exactly what was looking for to get started ... as Vlad said it maybe "USPSA-light" but it's intense enough for me.  guys put together challenging stages and great attention to safety.

Please remember, you do not need to be a member of the host club to take part in a match. In both IDPA and USPSA you get to shoot your first match as a taster paying only the match fee. If you like it, you need to join the appropriate organization, IDPA or USPSA. You can then shoot any match at any club under that discipline. I regularly shoot at Phillipsberg but am not a member there. I have also shot sanctioned matches at Lewistown, Ontalaunee, Wilkes-barre and Lower Providence without having to be a member at any of these ranges.

Please remember, you do not need to be a member of the host club to take part in a match. In both IDPA and USPSA you get to shoot your first match as a taster paying only the match fee. If you like it, you need to join the appropriate organization, IDPA or USPSA. You can then shoot any match at any club under that discipline. I regularly shoot at Phillipsberg but am not a member there. I have also shot sanctioned matches at Lewistown, Ontalaunee, Wilkes-barre and Lower Providence without having to be a member at any of these ranges.

I was also looking somewhere to shoot my AR more than 25 yards. Figures I would join there since its cheap, help them out when I can

BTW do any of you shoot at Old Bridge? I'm looking at their calendar and the May 2nd looks good to me. Maybe I can get there early and get acclimated ...I see helping set everything up is a good gesture for noobies too. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I shoot at OB.  In fact, I'm a Discipline Chair and Match Director of our PPC League.

Going to Indoor Action is a great idea!  It gives you more time to learn the rules and the game.  Showing-up early to help is great, but remember you also need to go to the safety/Newbie meeting so you know important stuff like what a Safe Table is, HOW to use it and WHEN you can touch your gun.  

Here's a little sumthin' to help keep you SAFE!  It's NOT meant as a put-down, just a friendly reminder about maintaining a SAFE muzzle direction:  Also remember that an empty or partially loaded mag is what I refer to as "a Dog Turd".  You don't wanna touch it!  Meaning that upon pushing the mag release button that you please consider that mag to NO LONGER EXIST!  It will drop and HIT the FLOOR.  Hell, you might even see them being kicked across the range!  So GET OVER IT NOW because it's the cost of playing the game!  Bending down to "gingerly place your mag on the floor" can lead to a DQ because you crossed yourself (usually a foot or leg, AND with a LOADED GUN) or God forbid somebody else!  Every Newbie wants to lay their mags down nice, like they're tucking them into bed, lol, but the reality is they hold-up quite well and replacement spring kits and followers are cheap enough anyway!  

Running and Gunning is about the most FUN you can have with yer clothes on!  Most indoor stages are 20 rounds or less (due to size of real estate indoors and layout requirements), so bring 100 rounds (for 4 stages) and you should be O-K.   Don't worry about missing targets.  Take your time, get your A-zone hits and the speed will come LATER!  And remember something my Brother taught me more than a decade ago:  SMOOTH is FAST!   So the more you get to practice with an UNLOADED gun and UNLOADED mags in front of a mirror, the smoother you'll be the night of the Match!

Have FUN and be SAFE!

Dave

PPC Chair 

^^I guess I stand corrected, lol!  Thanks Vlad!  "Tony and his Lunatics"  makes me almost piss my pants, lol!

In the "good 'ol days"  we had a 68 round count:  a 16 shot stage and an 18 shot stage, and then we did a re-set with the same number of targets.  And we got to the diner at a decent time.  30 round stages must be sorta complicated to set-up in order to avoid shoot-thru's.....unless they use both sides for a single stage????

Still, it's all for the FUN of it.  Good chatting!