What Will SCOTUS Do?  

152 members have voted

1. 1. What will the Supreme Court do with the Drake Case?

• Deny the petition to hear the case and remain silent on whether Americans have the right to carry a firearm.
    • Hear the case and rule that the second amendment does NOT guarantee the right to carry a firearm in public.
    • Hear the case and rule that the second amendment DOES guarantee the right to carry a firearm in public.

Vlad -- I'm not saying we roll over and say uncle.  I just don't think that there is a realistic possibility of "converting" enough people to make a difference in NJ.  I think I get why the NRA doesn't focus on NJ.  With limited resources, we need to pick our battles.  NJ is a lost cause.  The patient is terminal and will not recover.  It's much, much more important and much more possible to prevent the infection from spreading.  Pennsylvania's legislature is close to going Democrat.  It's in all of our interests to work as hard as possible to make sure that PA, NC, NH, etc. don't become NJ.

Vlad -- I'm not saying we roll over and say uncle.  I just don't think that there is a realistic possibility of "converting" enough people to make a difference in NJ.  I think I get why the NRA doesn't focus on NJ.  With limited resources, we need to pick our battles.  NJ is a lost cause.  The patient is terminal and will not recover.  It's much, much more important and much more possible to prevent the infection from spreading.  Pennsylvania's legislature is close to going Democrat.  It's in all of our interests to work as hard as possible to make sure that PA, NC, NH, etc. don't become NJ.

Well the next push would be federal concealed carry laws. The NRA is already somewhat pushing for that. 

Well it was was a nice two years of hoping.  Basically the US Supreme Court has confirmed that their decision in Heller is BS and basically state legislatures can use what ever logic they want to prevent people from exercising their 2nd Amendment rights outside their home.  A sad day in America.... 

Orders have been published. You can believe it now.

http://www.supremeciurt.gov/orders/ordersofthecourt.aspx

Sent from my SCH-I800 using Tapatalk 2

Damn tablet! Typos courtesy of my fat fingers.

http://www.supremecourt.gov/orders/ordersofthecourt.aspx

Sent from my SCH-I800 using Tapatalk 2

After this, I wouldn't expect any federal courts to bail you out in our lifetimes. All of the courts are being populated with leftists and political hacks. The federal government is funding Democrat federal campaigns and voter drives to the tune of about $2 billion through Obamacare and various multi-billion dollar handouts they are giving to people, unions, and corporations. Based on current election law and IRS regulations it is almost illegal for Conservatives to campaign in federal elections. For instance, starting next year CPAC will not be able to speak with, work with, mention, or host any "potential" candidate during the entire year leading up to an election. Obviously these rules do not apply to unions, "Acorn" type organizations, or other leftist organizations. We are entering a generation where any federal election that is not decisive will go to a Democrat candidate by default.

The only way we have to fight is on the state level. I'm sorry to say it, but I don't see that succeeding in Jersey. The only option left in Jersey is voting from the rooftops.

Good point -- I think there is a good chance that the carry reciprocity bill will pass eventually, IF the Republicans retake the white house and both houses of congress.  A big if.  And even if that happens, in its current iteration it would not help us in NJ, as absurd as that is.  I was somewhat optimistic, but I think it is time to face reality:  Christie and Sweeney were right -- there will never be concealed carry in the State of NJ.

This is more than a defeat for the second amendment. It is a defeat for individual rights. SCOTUS has conceded that all that is necessary for denying an enumerated right is for a legislative body to determine, without evidence, that the benefits of denying that right outweigh the harms. It's tyranny of the majority. The Constitution is a dead letter.

This is more than a defeat for the second amendment. It is a defeat for individual rights. SCOTUS has conceded that all that is necessary for denying an enumerated right is for a legislative body to determine, without evidence, that the benefits of denying that right outweigh the harms. It's tyranny of the majority. The Constitution is a dead letter.

They've been fairly consistent about that lately. And with respect to the "benefits" to the government, not even the benefits to us.

don't worry guys there's still hope, we still have Peruta, we just have to wait 10 mores years till its done moving through the courts

nothing changed in California either guys, they got an accurate ruling, that's all, there's no time limit for the state to comply, they'll comply when its done moving through the courts, like i said in 10 years, and that's only if the current ruling stands and isn't reversed when all the judges in the ninth hear it and rule

scotus knows this to be truth that's why they denied to hear drake today  

Five "conservative" justices, but as I predicted we couldn't get four to agree to hear the case. Had they heard it and ruled in our favor, real, palpable gun rights would have lived for at least another 10 years, until Hillary, the President-in-Waiting, turns the court commie for good and for all time.

As it is, the 7-2 or 9-0 liberal majority in 2022 or so will take the first challenge to gun rights it can get, chuck stare decisis (let previous SCOTUS rulings stand) and eviscerate the 2nd Amendment. 

This decision opens the way for a slow erosion of gun rights by legislatures, and the five conservative justices knew that. They new it. That's what galls me.

We have turned a corner. It's downhill from here. The one bright spot for conservatism will slowly but surely fade.

Enjoy your gun rights wherever and whenever you can, fellas. This is as good as it will ever be in the USA. As one poster wrote, PA is on the verge of going Democrat. If amnesty comes through Texas will follow. When the 20 million invaders start voting (as if they don't already, and multiple times), it will be over.

We've lost the fourth and fifth amendments, and will soon lose the first and second.

There is one constitutional provision that is probably safe, however. After Hillary disbands the army there will be no chance of troops quartering in your home. Peace Corps volunteers maybe, but not troops, not even transgendered ones.

Ok. Trying to pull myself out of a black hole here. If someday in our lifetimes the composition of SCOTUS changes, is there a mechanism to put the question before SCOTUS again, maybe as an appeal to what I think is a likely en banc reversal of Peruta?

The SC is currently as conservative as it will be in our lifetimes, possibly for the next 100 years. Keep dreaming.