What Will SCOTUS Do?  

152 members have voted

1. 1. What will the Supreme Court do with the Drake Case?

• Deny the petition to hear the case and remain silent on whether Americans have the right to carry a firearm.
    • Hear the case and rule that the second amendment does NOT guarantee the right to carry a firearm in public.
    • Hear the case and rule that the second amendment DOES guarantee the right to carry a firearm in public.

Well it was was a nice two years of hoping.  Basically the US Supreme Court has confirmed that their decision in Heller is BS and basically state legislatures can use what ever logic they want to prevent people from exercising their 2nd Amendment rights outside their home.  A sad day in America....

Pretty much. Fun times. I hope a conservative circuit applies the reasoning in drake to Roe vs. Wade. I personally don't give a crap about abortion, but if they are going to set the process on fire, I'd like to see as many as possible get burned as fast as possible to point out that there is a problem.

Now lets all meander  over to our NJ Senate for some more fun & games about mag limits, smart guns.....

Yes, everybody make sure you call and email Loretta Weinberg ten times a day. Take her out to dinner and propose marriage to her. Quit your job if you have to. Then go down to Trenton and whine about your service in WWI and WWII, how you were forced to stop a band of bloodthirsty killers armed with nothing more than an illegal slingshot, how concealed carry is a right handed down to Moses (but the third tablet fell and broke), and don't forget the argument that sways them every time, about Jesus being a gun-lover until the Israelis banned firearms. 

The SC is currently as conservative as it will be in our lifetimes, possibly for the next 100 years. Keep dreaming.

It's not a 100% given that we'll never have a republican president again. With a republican president and the right timing we may get a sixth conservative.

Pretty much. Fun times. I hope a conservative circuit applies the reasoning in drake to Roe vs. Wade. I personally don't give a crap about abortion, but if they are going to set the process on fire, I'd like to see as many as possible get burned as fast as possible to point out that there is a problem.

Funny how an enumerated right takes a back seat to a fictional right that appears nowhere in the document. 

this is a joke right?

yes and no.  i mean there is DC, the 9th circuit ruling, and the local nappen case.  those are the only 3 options left.  correct?  none seem as good as drake, but its our only hope.  ill probably be out of NJ before any of them get denied by the supreme court.  

We are on our own in NJ.  As many other states become more conservative -- Republicans are taking over state legislatures in many states and currently control more than half -- NJ is sliding the other way.  A 10 rd mag capacity restriction will pass, and may or may not be vetoed by Christie.  Even if he does veto it, it (or a 5 round limit) will be back and will pass in a few years when Fulop or Sweeney is governor.  The cities in this state -- AC, Trenton, Newark, Jersey City, Trenton and Patterson -- are all festering, welfare cesspools and they will continue to dominate political discourse in this state and guaranty a solid progressive Democrat majority.  There is no culture or tradition of gun ownership in NJ, and despite the valiant efforts of many, we won't be able to stem that tide sufficiently to make a difference at the ballot box.  Think about it.  10% of NJ citizens are gun owners.  How difficult will it be to increase that number to 20%?  Virtually impossible, and even if we do it still won't make a difference.

Unfortunately, those are the facts as I see them.  Time to face reality.

Couldn't have put it better myself.  It's only a matter of time.

We've lost the fourth and fifth amendments, and will soon lose the first and second.

There is one constitutional provision that is probably safe, however. After Hillary disbands the army there will be no chance of troops quartering in your home. Peace Corps volunteers maybe, but not troops, not even transgendered ones.

Unless you consider militarized LE forces as troops.  Does the DHS count as "troops"?  What about Obama's Civilian National Security Force?  If SCOUTS rules that domestic police don't count as troops, watch that amendment get abused almost worse than all the rest.

Speaking of which, was there ever a decision in the Mitchell vs. Nevada 3rd amendment case from last year?

It's not a 100% given that we'll never have a republican president again. With a republican president and the right timing we may get a sixth conservative.

The uncertainty of the desired end result is just too great. Too many things can go wrong.

First we need a Republican president, which is highly unlikely and becomes more so as the nation's demographic changes. Second he must be conservative. Third the timing must be right -- the justices must exit while our mythologic president is in office. Fourth he has to pick a conservative and not a skunk like Roberts. Fifth they need a case. Sixth they must decide to hear it. Seventh they must rule favorably.

Even if each step is 90% certain, you're talking less than 50%. If each step is 70% certain you're talking 7%. 

In other words, there's greater chance that Chris Christie will show up at his next press conference dressed as Boy George.

yes and no.  i mean there is DC, the 9th circuit ruling, and the local nappen case.  those are the only 3 options left.  correct?  none seem as good as drake, but its our only hope.  ill probably be out of NJ before any of them get denied by the supreme court.  

the NJ Supreme court is set, they don't even have to work in this case, their decision was already written for them, all they are going to do is copy and paste the ruling from the 3rd circuit and say we're done with the second amendment for another 70-100 years 

We are on our own in NJ.  As many other states become more conservative -- Republicans are taking over state legislatures in many states and currently control more than half -- NJ is sliding the other way.  A 10 rd mag capacity restriction will pass, and may or may not be vetoed by Christie.  Even if he does veto it, it (or a 5 round limit) will be back and will pass in a few years when Fulop or Sweeney is governor.  The cities in this state -- AC, Trenton, Newark, Jersey City, Trenton and Patterson -- are all festering, welfare cesspools and they will continue to dominate political discourse in this state and guaranty a solid progressive Democrat majority.  There is no culture or tradition of gun ownership in NJ, and despite the valiant efforts of many, we won't be able to stem that tide sufficiently to make a difference at the ballot box.  Think about it.  10% of NJ citizens are gun owners.  How difficult will it be to increase that number to 20%?  Virtually impossible, and even if we do it still won't make a difference.

Unfortunately, those are the facts as I see them.  Time to face reality.

Great post but you're wrong about the ballot box. I have identified a significant number of close or very close legislature races. Based on the number of participating voters and the number of gun owners in this state, we could EASILY gain a majority in both the senate and assembly if gun owners and their significant others got off their asses and voted. Nobody seems interested in this idea, which I've posted several times. You guys prefer to wait for the Second Coming.

unless SAF or the NRA can give an update today that puts some hope on the table i will probably cancel my membership to both of them, SAF did a lot trying to help us out but as of today there is nothing more they can do, they will probably forget us just as the NRA did 

why cancel.  you only support pro 2a causes when you think you can immediately benefit from them?

Great post but you're wrong about the ballot box. I have identified a significant number of close or very close legislature races. Based on the number of participating voters and the number of gun owners in this state, we could EASILY gain a majority in both the senate and assembly if gun owners and their significant others got off their asses and voted. Nobody seems interested in this idea, which I've posted several times. You guys prefer to wait for the Second Coming.

What races are those?  I don't exactly have a Mike Bloomberg budget, but I'd contribute what I can in terms of time and $.

Can someone please explain why Nappen's Pantano case is relevant in any way, shape or form?  I almost feel like he is wasting his client's money in bringing this case.  Is there any chance, whatsoever, that the highest NJ state court will rule differently than the 3d circuit did in Drake?  Is there any chance that, after decades of rubber stamping any and every NJ gun law the NJ supreme court is suddenly going to overturn NJ's carry law as unconstitutional??  And when Nappen loses, why should we believe the S Ct will grant cert in that case?? 

IT IS OVER.  2A outside the home in NJ is a dead letter, and a S Ct ruling on 2A outside the home is not going to happen.  Many people don't realize that the Supreme Court is NOT a court that corrects lower court error.  That is not how they decide to take cases.  Resolving circuit splits is important, but the judges get to choose cases based on issues that they care about, think important, and have national implications.  I am quite sure that, despite the split with the 7th and 9th circuits on one side and 2nd, 3rd and 4th on the other re the 2A outside the home, and despite the 3d circuit's horrible decision in Drake, the justices 1) simply don't want to deal with the issue; and/or 2) feel that it is an issue best left to the states to decide.  I've expended a lot of mental energy thinking and hoping about the S Ct taking the Drake case.  I am now done, and resigned to the fact that if I want to defend myself outside the home in NJ my best hope is to hone my krav maga skills.

What races are those?  I don't exactly have a Mike Bloomberg budget, but I'd contribute what I can in terms of time and $.

I posted it somewhere in these forums. I'm kind of tired of this crap.

Newtonian:  re NJ elections -- I wish you were right.  After the Republicans lost the redistricting fight a few years ago, and given the entrenched democrat machine in places like Bergen County where I live and in all the cities in NJ, I just don't see a realistic chance of Republicans taking the NJ legislature or holding on to the governor's office.  I just don't see it.

why cancel.  you only support pro 2a causes when you think you can immediately benefit from them?

immediately lol where have you been the last 5 years, there is nothing more they can do in NJ, all that's left is they can dump all their money into NJ elections next time around, and even if they dump 500 million dollars into republican candidates in NJ there is about a 10% chance they'll take control of the house and senate, they know this to be true and after today im more than positive SAF will give up on us just like the NRA has 

It really is a sad day. 

We barely have four. You're giving Roberts too much credit.

WOrse than I thought. Called for re-list again and next week was going to call for Denial, like how I voted in original Poll.

In one apathetic and pathetic swoop. The SCOTUS jist told us they dont even believe in their own rulings. Certain 'liberal' causes get FAST TRACKED. To the 19 States that filed petition to hear, 'Well, Go F yourselves'.

Now we can see the dismantling of the rest of the Amendments, piece by piece, molecule by molecule, PROGRESSIVELY.

Third World Country here we come. Or already are.

This is Utterly SHAMEFUL, TRAGIC, TREASONOUS. UTTERLY.