What Will SCOTUS Do?  

152 members have voted

1. 1. What will the Supreme Court do with the Drake Case?

• Deny the petition to hear the case and remain silent on whether Americans have the right to carry a firearm.
    • Hear the case and rule that the second amendment does NOT guarantee the right to carry a firearm in public.
    • Hear the case and rule that the second amendment DOES guarantee the right to carry a firearm in public.

My read is they didnt take the case because if they did the court's decision would not have been good for us. Means Justice Kennedy probably wouldn't sign on to a decent decision on bearing arms. Why would the conservative wing of the court take a case that they know they will lose? As for the liberal wing they don't want to take it because a decision eviscerating the right to bear arms would turn into a liability in the upcoming elections. This issue will not be decided conclusively until there are some new Supreme Court Justices appointed. Critical will be the next presidential election. In the next few years more good statistical data from new right to carry states will also become more and more helpful. Eventually perhaps we can hope that gun rights become a bipartisan issue and we are not held hostage to the red blue political dichotomy on this issue any more.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

I can only hope this will be a message for the rest of the Country to turn out and vote a Pro 2A candidate in this mid-term Election! 

Feels like half an hour after a parade has ended. Crap all over the place, nobody around but the cleaning crews.

When you think about it we didn't even come close except in our fantasies. "THEY ARE PREPARING A SUMMARY WHATEVER" haha.

Does anyone know of any potential consequences of writing to a supreme court justice and telling them in a polite, non-threatening manner that they are cowards and traitors to their oath? Can something like this land you in a federal pen for "contempt of court?" I certainly have nothing but contempt for them now.

Vote and donate to the NRA and other groups. Be successful in life so you can afford to donate more. Be good to your family and friends. Be a role model. Show the world by your example the virtue of your beliefs. That is all you can do. Complaining accomplishes nothing.

... this is just a slippery slope to all kinds of other unconstitutional rulings in the future.  We are slowly but surely losing freedom each day in our country.

I have news for you: This is just one point on a slippery slope that has been slipping and sloping for decades. We're entering the part of the slope that's nearly horizontal. 

I posted an article last week that pointed to firearms policy as conservatives' only real success over the last couple of decades. It's pretty remarkable when you think of it. 25 years ago concealed carry was illegal in most places. Today it's so common that most of the U.S., especially the young, takes it for granted. 

But the trend, the tide, the demographics, are against us. As I have posted, "AND IT'S NOT JUST ABOUT GUNS."

Vote and donate to the NRA and other groups. Be successful in life so you can afford to donate more. Be good to your family and friends. Be a role model. Show the world by your example the virtue of your beliefs. That is all you can do. Complaining accomplishes nothing.

I will be donating as soon as i get home.  If every NRA member gets motivated to send in just $10.00, it would equal Bloombutts $50,000,000 campaign.

I can't put into words how disappointed I am in our country's legal system.  A garbage law with poor supporting evidence and half-wit supporting arguments gets shoo'd away by the SCOTUS.  Ridiculous.  

Should we expect Illinois to add in "justifiable need"?

I can't put into words how disappointed I am in our country's legal system.  A garbage law with poor supporting evidence and half-wit supporting arguments gets shoo'd away by the SCOTUS.  Ridiculous.  

Should we expect Illinois to add in "justifiable need"?

nope Illinois is set, makes me wish NJ had no carry option than this hell ridden "justifiable need", if we didnt have any carry option available to us wed probably have it by now just like Illinois 

As you know, the N.J. Supreme Court has granted review in a Second Amendment case. If the NJ Court does not reverse the Appellate Division, on 2nd Amendment grounds, a petition for certiorari can be filed again with the U. S. Supreme Court. It is possible that the court denied review in Drake because they wanted the NJ Supreme Court to see what our Supreme Court would do with the issue.

As someone mentioned, even if the court were to rule in our favor, NJ would have just made Open Carry and arrest folks under public nuisance laws.

( I  know, I know, its the principle that counts)

On a lighter note, apparently we can "carry" our long guns with FPID out in open and still be legal. Nappen went as far as to say that he could be driving around with one hanging out of the car, but suggested against it.    How many of us exercised that legal avenue? <duck>

As you know, the N.J. Supreme Court has granted review in a Second Amendment case. If the NJ Court does not reverse the Appellate Division, on 2nd Amendment grounds, a petition for certiorari can be filed again with the U. S. Supreme Court. It is possible that the court denied review in Drake because they wanted the NJ Supreme Court to see what our Supreme Court would do with the issue.

It's dispassionate, informative posts like this that are keeping me sane today.

I suspect we might have had the votes to grant cert but the conservatives blocked when they realized we didn't have the votes to win.

I really doubt it. They've turned down a number of cases and this one was clean and clear cut. They don't even know if they are going to get another case sent their way, let alone another good one. There once was a "waiting for the right case" argument but now that that is gone I'm not buying any of the new "next time" theories.

On a lighter note, apparently we can "carry" our long guns with FPID out in open and still be legal. Nappen went as far as to say that he could be driving around with one hanging out of the car, but suggested against it. How many of us exercised that legal avenue?

Interesting.. I don't know how true that is but if so, maybe the next peaceful protest in trenton should look like this. Of course I wouldn't advise it unless a few thousand of us show up doing the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Interesting.. I don't know how true that is but if so, maybe the next peaceful protest in trenton should look like this. Of course I wouldn't advise it unless a few thousand of us show up doing the same.

If we started doing it would be an easy fix now, legislature will just ban the practice and will say it's in the best interest of the government.  

anyone knows if SAF or Gura is going to come out with a public announcement, seemed like this case was their final hope for scotus anytime soon, sure we have peruta but that can take 10 years to reach scotus, and until then its very unlikely California or Hawaii will have some sort of shall issue, i wonder if they have anything else in mind, maybe they'll back the case heading to the nj scotus?

You only get one vote per person at the polling place and Mr. Vector is trying to get 800,000 of them to show up. You get like 30 or 40 votes each from a rooftop.

Where do you see 5 conservatives? Kennedy isn't a conservative and I'm not too sure about the other 4 either.

One thing I keep forgetting, both Scalia and Alito are from the "3rd Circuit (and from NJ)."  Perhaps someone called in a favor?  :dontknow:

Hopefully, one thing this will do is fire up our ranks and mobilize them to push for get the kind of politicians we need elected. It may not be enough (never enough in NJ), but if, hopefully, the ones that are see the trend coming...

Holy Christ.

Every time something like this happens it's treated like the end of civilization. Yeah, it sucks for us, but go to any other board and see how little they care.

If you want to do your part and protest, leave the state and never spend another penny here. The Second Amendment is still alive and well in most of the country.

EDIT: I get you're all venting but keep the negativity to yourselves. No need to up your blood pressure. This is a time we should think proactively, no wallow in our misery.

Holy Christ.

Every time something like this happens it's treated like the end of civilization. Yeah, it sucks for us, but go to any other board and see how little they care.

And that is why we lose. Rock the vote bitches! Apparently 2a is a states right today. ( no way I agree) so let's rally out friends and vote out these a holes.

Or leave like 40% of nj residents would like to.

Holy Christ.

If you want to do your part and protest, leave the state and never spend another penny here. The Second Amendment is still alive and well in most of the country.

EDIT: I get you're all venting but keep the negativity to yourselves. No need to up your blood pressure. This is a time we should think proactively, no wallow in our misery.

And this might be part of the courts decision. This case only affects 4-6 States and that depends what part of some of those 6. That means 44 States already have it right. Maybe the high court figures it will eventually work itself out. Majority does rule you know.

And this might be part of the courts decision. This case only affects 4-6 States and that depends what part of some of those 6. That means 44 States already have it right. Maybe the high court figures it will eventually work itself out. Majority does rule you know.

I don't buy that argument. Split courts is exactly what they are supposed to fix because of equal protection. The whole point is that you have the same constitutional rights in all states.

I don't buy that argument. Split courts is exactly what they are supposed to fix because of equal protection. The whole point is that you have the same constitutional rights in all states.

Rights are not zip code dependent.

Anybody learn about the civil war? Slave states vs free states?