What Will SCOTUS Do?  

152 members have voted

1. 1. What will the Supreme Court do with the Drake Case?

• Deny the petition to hear the case and remain silent on whether Americans have the right to carry a firearm.
    • Hear the case and rule that the second amendment does NOT guarantee the right to carry a firearm in public.
    • Hear the case and rule that the second amendment DOES guarantee the right to carry a firearm in public.

Just out of curiosity, to quote the old Tom Lerher song, "Who's Next?" :D

Which states (in order) do you think will be next to adopt NJ/NY/CT style gun control?

Hopefully none! But I would bet, states that are becoming more "blue" in population.

Hopefully none! But I would bet, states that are becoming more "blue" in population.

Florida?

I ask, because if I'm going to move out of NJ, I best go somewhere where it isn't going to happen anytime soon.... Not in my lifetime anyway... :D

I'm staying away from the usual states that NJ residents move too:  FL, SC, NC, AZ, PA.    I figure that once enough of us are there, we'll drag that place down too.

I live in the country, out in the middle of nowhere.  Once in a while, someone from the city moves out here to get their piece of the country.  Eventually they show up at township committee meetings to complain that they don't have streetlights, trash pickup, sewer, gas, or a police department.   Thankfully, nothing's changed here yet but people want what they are used too having - even if they seemed to be trying to escape it.

Florida?

I ask, because if I'm going to move out of NJ, I best go somewhere where it isn't going to happen anytime soon.... Not in my lifetime anyway... :D

I just spent the past week in Polk County. The people in Florida aren't going to stand for gun control measures. There's a bill there in the Senate now to allow CCW on school grounds. It was on the news last week and was looking good for being passed. My brother-in-law that lives there told me he hasn't met anyone down there that doesn't carry, or atleast have their gun with them in the car at all times. I really didn't want to come home.

I just spent the past week in Polk County. The people in Florida aren't going to stand for gun control measures. There's a bill there in the Senate now to allow CCW on school grounds. It was on the news last week and was looking good for being passed. My brother-in-law that lives there told me he hasn't met anyone down there that doesn't carry, or atleast have their gun with them in the car at all times. I really didn't want to come home.

I'm in northern FL right now (for a couple of weeks).  I hope so, but let's put it this way. In 2012, I saw a whole lot of Obama signs on lawns... :shok:

And with all the attention the last two "Self-defense" cases  got in the media (Zimmerman and Michael Dunn), one never knows.... 

Its more like that in the northern part of the state. I was down in redneck central. Orange groves, cow farms, and good ol boys lol...

I was told Polk county is the largest in the state and has more gun owners then all the other counties in the state combined.

BTW have a safe trip.

Its more like that in the northern part of the state. I was down in redneck central. Orange groves, cow farms, and good ol boys lol... I was told Polk county is the largest in the state and has more gun owners then all the other counties in the state combined. BTW have a safe trip.

Well, ya know what they say.... "The *new* South" begins below I-10.  :D   Where I am, it's pretty conservative as well, but you might see a few liberals here and there.

What other cases? At this point, haven't all of the CAs ruled? If another Drake-type case were to arise, would it go to the CA again, or would CA refuse it on the grounds that they've already stated their position?

Why do they hate 2A so much? I would think that a legal scholar would find it fascinating, because it's the one part of the bill of rights that is actively and systematically being dismantled by legislative action.

There are a few cases left. There is of course Pantano in NJ, but there is also Richards (Yolo county CA) and Baker (Hawaii) out of the 9th. There is also Bonidy in the 10th which challenges carry on USPS property but the district judge ruled that there is a right to carry outside the home. There's a new suit out of MA as well. 

The big elephant in the room though is Palmer out of DC which is a straight 2A outside the home case like Moore. That one has been pending since 2009 and Gura just filed another petition for a writ of mandamus (which basically means sh*t or get off the pot) and if he is denied again he will file for one at SCT. 

McKay looks like it will be mooted because she's issuing permits in Orange County CA. Gura claims that Peruta is mooted too because Gore has refused to respond to the court. Richards already has an en banc appeal from Sheriff Prieto, but that could be denied as well, and then he'll have to petition to SCT. 

Still a few cases left but I must admit it's getting down to the wire. 

I'm in northern FL right now (for a couple of weeks).  I hope so, but let's put it this way. In 2012, I saw a whole lot of Obama signs on lawns... :shok:

And with all the attention the last two "Self-defense" cases  got in the media (Zimmerman and Michael Dunn), one never knows.... 

2A might be aligned with the GOP but not necessarily. Look at VT. Blue state with communist Bernie Sanders as Senator. They have NO permit required to carry and they are freer than a lot of states. 

Meanwhile in NJ you have Republican Chris Christie who said that he doesn't want a lot of guns out there. Sheriff Gore in San Diego CA (of Peruta v Gore fame) is a Republican too.