Pizza Bob

FPID / P2P Application Process

Since the NJSP have started using an electronic format (on-line) for the non-criminal background check (SP-212A), there is some confusion about the whole process. I put together the following to document it, regardless of where you live in NJ.

You can now get all your ducks in a row before going to your local PD. The forms are all available on line.Then all you have to do is complete the 212A on line and submit it. Print out the other documents and take them to your PD and sign the SP-066 in front of the investigating officer.

Hope this helps.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

FPID / P2P Application Process

An FPID (that's Firearms Purchaser Identification) card is needed to purchase long guns or handgun ammunition in NJ. It also allows you to transport a long gun outside the specific exemptions stipulated in the statutes. It is good for as long as you live at that address (DL & FPID addresses must match). You can purchase as many long guns as you want, once you have this. No constraints.

In order to purchase a handgun, an individual Permit to Purchase (P2P) a handgun must be obtained for each handgun you desire. You may only purchase one handgun in any 30 day period - one gun a month (OGAM) - unless you fall under and have applied for one of the exemptions. 

The process for applying for your FPID and/or P2P's, or for a replacement or change of address on an existing FPID, is the same and consists of three elements:

Element 1 - The Application - Form STS-033. This is used for both FPID's and P2P's and you may apply for both simultaneously - just check the applicable boxes at the top of the form.

Element 2 - Fingerprinting or Non-criminal Background Check - If this is your initial application you are required to be fingerprinted. NJ now uses a third party entity (Morpho-Trak aka Sagem Morpho) to accomplish this. Your PD will give you instructions and you will have to make an appointment with a Sagem Morpho facility near you. There is a charge for fingerprinting - approximately $50 - $55.

Subsequent applications (i.e. for P2P's) will not require fingerprinting*, just the completion of form SP-212A*. (Non-criminal Background Check). This is now done in an electronic (on-line) format. The URL is:

You will need your SBI number (FPID number) and your PD’s ORI number, which can be found here...

The results will be electronically communicated directly to your PD. A credit card is used for payment ($20 = $18 plus a $2 “convenience” fee).

Element 3 - Mental Health Background Check - Complete form SP-066. This form must be signed in the presence of the investigating police officer or their designate.

The application and Mental health forms (STS-033 and SP-066 respectively) are available on line at the NJSP website…

…or are available from your PD.

The FPID card is $5 and the P2P's are $2 each. The P2P's are good for 90 days, and can be extended for another 90 days (180 days total from date of issue)*.

Please note that any additional forms or requirements beyond those listed above are illegal. The police are supposed to be bound by the statutes just as we gun owners are - that is not always the case. If they place an additional form or requirement in the process it is up to you whether to resist/refuse or comply. A recent court case upheld this statute and forced a PD to comply.

You can apply for as many P2P's as you want - but unless you file for an exemption, you can only use one every 30 days. Do not let the PD tell you that you cannot have the number of P2P's you have requested - they cannot restrict that.

*At the discretion of your CLEO

very good Bob, thanx. Two corrections tho, the police dept has the discretion to do a permit extension after the initial 90 days & you must wait a full 30 days (which starts the next day after your pistol purchase) before next purchase, so technically its 31 days

Two corrections tho, the police dept has the discretion to do a permit extension after the initial 90 days & you must wait a full 30 days (which starts the next day after your pistol purchase) before next purchase, so technically its 31 days

Both those are stipulated in the original document. You may have missed the asterisk delineating discretion and the wording used for OGAM is taken directly from the statute {2C:58-s,a,(7)}

@PK90 - Thanks - didn't know that existed. Good to know the Arizona heat hasn't affected your memory

Bob, that's just an amazing description.

Frankly, I started putting what I know together as well (thinking about publishing it somewhere at some point), but I have to admit that my "manual" is nowhere near yours in terms of how comprehensive and how concise it is! Everything up to the point, all very precise and nothing extra. Very good job!

Please note that any additional forms or requirements beyond those listed above are illegal. The police are supposed to be bound by the statutes just as we gun owners are - that is not always the case. If they place an additional form or requirement in the process it is up to you whether to resist/refuse or comply. A recent court case upheld this statute and forced a PD to comply.

Point of reference - two court cases have clarified this - Perez and McGovern. McGovern will probably be appealed to the state Supreme Court by Jersey City Mayor Steve Fulop where he will likely lose. So if your PD is giving you static, print out the decisions and hand it to them. If they still give you static, contact ANJRPC Strikeforce - [email protected]

That said, for me it's about what kind of extra forms they want. If they simply want stamped envelopes to mail paperwork to references, I will give it to them. If they want an affidavit from my wife and passport photos they can go pound sand. 

whats the turn around time by the online method?  having some issues with my PD

Lavallette PD: NJ151500 ... created online Form 212A on August, 4, 2014 (9:00PM) and submitted required forms for one P2P that same evening.  Was called today, August 9th (4:30PM)  to come and pick up my P2P approved permit ... 5 days turn around

But I had to speak to our Public Safety Council Liaison who spoke directly to the PD Chief.  Told Council person I was not going to wait 9 months as I did in 2012 for FID address change & 2 P2P's

So don't let the Muni PD BS you - it can be done in under 30 days

Lavallette PD: NJ151500 ... 5 days turn around

Nice, but don't use it until 8/12/14.

No handgun shall be delivered to any person unless such person possesses and exhibits a valid permit to purchase a firearm and at least seven days have elapsed since the date of application for the permit.

Is anyone else on here dealing with Lumberton, NJ at the moment?  Apparently the lady who I have dealt with before is on leave and I've waited over a month now and can't get ahold of anyone at the PD.  Figures because I've bragged to everyone how quick Lumberton always was in the past...