MosinRob

New Remington 700 muzzleloader

Just debuted at the show. Can take 4 50gr 777 pellets. Not sure how I feel about their new primer system.  I think it could get expensive if you like to shoot it. Also I dont really buy the whole breach plug never gets dirty thing. Check out the video if you want.

I do think guns like these will break the hunting laws. Think of NJ, the whole point of having muzzleloader but not rifle seasons is (at least in theory) keeping stray bullets out of people's living rooms. When the muzzle loaders are becoming 300yard hunting guns, they are out performing most lever guns.

How long before the laws get changed to ban muzzleloaders from hunting?

I kind of feel the opposite. When you look at the recent change allowing center-fire rifles for yotes, I think the laws may start changing in our favor or may even get small caliber center-fire rifle for deer. I personally wish they would offer a separate season for traditional if not like PA a late season flintlock only.

A lot of the old guard that used to reign at F&W and on the council are slowly leaving. "Progressives" are promoting change, for a number of reasons, and that's a good thing. (Rifle season for coyote and fox this year is just one of them.)

Muzzleloaders have been legal for big game since 1977/1978(?) Muzzleloaders today with scopes along with in-line technologies firing sabot loads are truly 200+ yard propositions. Centerfire rifles under firing bullets 100 grs. or less for woodchuck on private land have been legal since the late seventies as well. (Yep, you can take your .257 Weatherby or .25-06 with 87 gr. HP's and have at it on the woodchuck population if you have private farmland to hunt.)

Rifled-barrel shotguns firing sabot rounds are also 200-yard propositions these days. The days of buckshot-only in New Jersey disappeared in the late seventies. Embrace change.

As the state has become more densely populated in the last forty years, the acceptance of modern firearms is still embraced in a progressive fashion. It's all good.

So much for hunting with primitive weapons :/

The early and then late "primitive season" (blackpowder or substitute and iron-sights) made way for modern technology, the need for increased deer mortality as a management tool, and fee-income for those $28 permits.) 

The early and then late "primitive season" (blackpowder or substitute and iron-sights) made way for modern technology, the need for increased deer mortality as a management tool, and fee-income for those $28 permits.) 

Very sad state of affairs.  Very sad indeed.  In all my years of shooting (44+ and counting) I've encountered very few Traditional Black Powder Hunters (those that use sidelocks, like me) here in NJ.  "Muzzleloader" Season has yet another addition to the debauchery now being thrust upon us^^ with this POS!  The entire reason for "primitive" is to give folks with skill some chance of not getting shot at by BOZO's that will shoot at anything that moves in the brush.  If "population control" is needed, send good, SAFE Hunters in at dusk with flashlights to a problem area & the problem will be solved.  To take-away the intent of primitive season and bastardize it in the way they have is BS!  These type Inline rifles might as well be .30-06's with scopes.  If deer population is such a problem, then allow real rifles in certain areas & be done with it, instead of making the hunter pay for this new POS!

Dave

Muzzleloader/Hunter

I hear ya' Dave.

I was initially against change, but the reality is we have all accepted the same type of change in a variety of areas in hunting. Remember when longbows and recurves made way for compound bows? Remember how folks howled at the advantage and the death of traditional archery? Then the compound ("upright") bowhunters complained when the crossbow was accepted for legal use?

Iron sights made way for scopes on muzzleloaders, and there are now states that allow smokeless powders in ML's provided they are loaded from the muzzle. I know someone who shoots this rifle in another state south of here. BTW - Is this is a muzzleloader?
http://www.badbullmuzzleloaders.com/

With hunter numbers down, it has been the logical move for Fish and Game officials to keep pace with growing income needs for continued license sales in addition to addressing deer management numbers in areas deemed necessary.

Someone once opined to me that "all good things must come to an end." We see that every day in every area of life now. I think we will continue to see progressive change with regulations. (Something new this year during New Jersey's Spring turkey season: coyotes can be taken incidental during your turkey week.) Progress. 

PS - I am happy with my caplock Renegade.

Remember the Savage that blew-apart and took half of somebody's hand with it?  It used smokeless powder too.  A reinforced breech will NOT stop somebody from pouring more smokeless powder down the muzzle than these things can handle.  Some Douche will try and make a 1,000 yard gun out of one of these by "magnumizing it" with a double charge.  Mark my words, there ARE stupid people who will try it!

Enjoy yer Renegade...I'm taking my Trade Rifle to Lancaster this weekend:   www.lancastercountylongrifles.webs.com/  

Remember the Savage that blew-apart and took half of somebody's hand with it?  It used smokeless powder too.  A reinforced breech will NOT stop somebody from pouring more smokeless powder down the muzzle than these things can handle.  Some Douche will try and make a 1,000 yard gun out of one of these by "magnumizing it" with a double charge.  Mark my words, there ARE stupid people who will try it!

Enjoy yer Renegade...I'm taking my Trade Rifle to Lancaster this weekend:   www.lancastercountylongrifles.webs.com/  

I'm bringing the .54 plains pistol, 10 gauge sxs, Hawken, Renegade, and Cherokee. Going to be a lot of smoke and a lot of fun

I'm bringing the .54 plains pistol, 10 gauge sxs, Hawken, Renegade, and Cherokee. Going to be a lot of smoke and a lot of fun

HaHa, YES indeed Rob!  I'm bringing my Trade Rifle, Hawken (back-up) and the 10 ga.  Lots of smoke and FUN to be sure!  See ya there later today!

Dave