SmartAss

Court rules against Jersey City permitting requirements

Appeals court rules against some questions on Jersey City gun permit application -

http://www.northjersey.com/news/appeals-court-rules-against-some-questions-on-jersey-city-gun-permit-application-1.1004488

Wasn't there a similar case recently that the appeals court ruled against the town and forced them to comply? 

I guess every town that adds extra requirements is going to have to be taken to court.

Apparently the court thinks that blatantly breaking the law is not being unreasonable...

“We do not conclude in this decision that Jersey City's inquiries were unreasonable or made in bad faith,” reads the 21-page ruling, released today. “However, the Legislature or the Superintendent of the State Police must authorize any requirement or condition for issuance of a handgun permit that goes beyond the terms of the statute and the State Police.”

http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/2014/04/report_jersey_citys_gun_permit_application_asks_too_many.html#incart_river

And of course the Star Ledger has to get their dig in by headlining dozens of pictures of a gun buyback with the article, which has absolutely nothing to do with lawful citizens seeking firearms permits.

There is so much bad grammar and spelling in those forms. 

It's "Questionnaire" not "Questioner."

"All firearms must be stored in a locked case" not a "lock case."

Did Charles Mainor design these forms? 

English must not be their forte.

As we all know:

There shall be no conditions or requirements added to the form or content of the application, or required by the licensing authority for the issuance of a permit or identification card, other than those that are specifically set forth in this chapter.

Yet

"Jersey City has the most thorough gun permit application in the state and we think this is important to make sure guns don’t get into the wrong hands,"

-Mayor Steve Fulop said in a statement from his spokeswoman.

It's disappointing to see how anti-gun the JC administration has become(e.g this issue and the exta questions they put in their sourcing bids, etc.). I was born and raised there. 40 years ago this week, I obtained my NJFID in JC. No extra forms, good service by the detective bureau. Times change....

Cablevision News 12 reported last night that the mayor intends to appeal the decision and will not change their permitting requirements.

So he is going to blatantly disregard the law. Wish I could do that.

And not get arrested.

I will again attest to a great experience with the JC PD firearms unit. I have also been watching our new mayor and he has so far been just keeping a distance from the 2a in the media. The extra form was there 7 years ago when I got my FID. And I have no problem with a bit of initial paperwork to prove I am who I say I am and live were I say I do. With all the crazy people here and how we have had a lot of terrorist try to make this city and other surrounding cities ther home base I would not want to be the chief who signed for one of them to be allowed to get firearms. But I also can see how this can be misused and create a problem for some law abiding JC citizens. It's a tough balancing act that needs to be Done. Besides I don't know of a law abiding person who was denied because of the extra form. I love my 2a rights but think we have much larger fish to fry with ccw and limits on capacity, the infective ban list are much more important to me then me proving I live were I say I do and I am who I say I am.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk

there is no balancing act to be done.  the law says no additional forms.  you have to follow the law.  why shouldn't they have to?

if someone is a terrorist, they should be in jail.  if they aren't in jail, and they have a clean record.  they should be allowed to buy guns.  even if they are a terrorist and slip through the cracks.  thats part of the price of freedom

apparently this went to court because someone was denied for refusing the extra forms.  all over the state they add additional requirements, because it stops people from even applying.  i have a friend that his HR department was contacted by mail "MR XXXX wants to buy a gun.  does he work for you"  they called him down and asked what it was all about.  Now he has to worry if that is going to affect his job.  its bull

to make matters worse, a court said they can't put the additional forms, and they ARE STILL GOING TO!