david8613

Going in for meniscus surgery in my knee, anyone get this done?

Going in for meniscus surgery in my knee soon, anyone get this done? Please don't scare me with crazy horror stories from the internet, would like to hear real personal positive experiences. I need to get this done, I had this problem for many years, and always worked through pain but lately it's been bothering me more and more, it's affecting my lower back and hip, keeps me up at night too sometimes. Attached is a pic of the MRI showing the major tear. Wish me luck... 20140423_173644.jpg

Had 2 surgeries on my left knee 1 year apart 11/05-11/06.

Tore it during work coming off the back of a truck.

Never healed correctly even after 2nd surgery.

Still bothers me and I still can't kneel on my knee without blinding pain.

I did all the PT, stretching, exercises, gluocosamine, etc.

Take your time, do all the PT and keep the weight off during your recovery.

My doctor tried to repair my meniscus on my right knee arthoscopically over 15 years ago. It was too far gone for repair so he cleaned it up and flushed all the bits and pieces floating around in there. This was same day surgery. When I got up to leave, my knee was swollen but hurt me less than when I walked in. I subsequently has a total of two arthoscopic surgeries on each knee.

Two years ago I went for the big one and had a total knee replacement on my right knee. They gave me a spinal anesthetic and I could hear the doctor cutting my old joint out. They had me walking on it 3 hours after the surgery.

My Meniscus surgery was done within a month of my tear, so as far as long term damage goes I'm not really in that boat. But I did somehow manage to tear all 3 in my left knee at once to some degree (from skiing most likely I believe). I was walking again 3 days after surgery but while they did say that I would be back playing sports in a few months, it took me longer than that. Surgery was done in the spring and Ill say I wasn't back to 100% until winter. 

With that said the best thing is to keep up with the physical therapy in the short term, and In the very long term be sure to workout your legs. The stronger your muscles are the less pressure you will have on the damaged joint. I had surgery at 15 and 9 years later even with working out Ill have days where just standing around will make my knee feel weak.

But a good surgeon can also make all the difference, having the team doctor for the Nets perform my surgery at the time probably played a significant part in my successful recovery, plus being so young when I injured it as well.

My wife had this done a number of years ago. Went in once, rehabbed and never had a problem since. A lot depends on the surgeon. Do your research on the surgeon

Definitely agreed, 

If you haven't found a surgeon yet, Hospital for Special Surgery in NYC is probably one of the best in our region when it comes to joints among other things. I have only heard good things from acquaintances that have had operations there.

We have been helping people avoid surgery and any scarring along with it with platelet rich plasma and stem cell treatments. Not everything requires surgery and we have helped multiple avoid having a meniscectomy. They do not "repair" a meniscus. They often trim away pieces causing worse arthritis and degeneration down the road. Concentrated platelet trestments Helped me get back to running after a tear in august of 2012.

Www.regenexx.com

Just throwing it out there. Good luck man!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

We have been helping people avoid surgery and any scarring along with it with platelet rich plasma and stem cell treatments. Not everything requires surgery and we have helped multiple avoid having a meniscectomy. They do not "repair" a meniscus. They often trim away pieces causing worse arthritis and degeneration down the road. Concentrated platelet trestments Helped me get back to running after a tear in august of 2012. Www.regenexx.com Just throwing it out there. Good luck man! Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

From my understanding of repairing a meniscus when it was explained 9 years ago, in the majority of cases it is not possible. The location of the tear in the knee must be near a source of blood which if I am remembering the stats right is only about 10% of the cases, if not less. Now of course a lot can change in that amount of time so I would still advise anyone to do their own research on that. 

Also the location of the tear in relation to the outer edge or the interior portion is a big part, from what the op is describing (major tear), and what the mri is showing (again, a significant tear) repair does not sound like an option.

But yes, if possible, the long term benefits of repairing your meniscus are much more desirable, although the short term recovery takes much much longer.

Platelet rich plasma causes an inflammatory response while providing healing growth factors to the sight of n injection. One of the phases of healing after the inflammatory phase is called then"proliferative" phase in which neovessels are formed to help create a pathway and blood flow to promote healing. If we can create blood flow, as you said, there is a good shot at healing

Bone marrow stem cell concentration is even more effective as it contains two main types of stem cells one being the "king blood cell", hematopoietic stem cells. This type of cell promotes blood flow for healing as well, and along with mesenchymal cells that diferentiatie into tissue and cartilage, it becomes a win win for healing tears, tendonitis, and controlling arthritis pain without nasty cortisone.

Now, im not saying its for you, im just letting all know its out there and its worked for many. Very popular with athletes just not mainstream because its not a covered insurance benefit

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Good luck David it's a long recovery but the vast majority do very well. I'm a PT so if you need a recommendation on where to go afterwards I know a bunch of places throughout the state I could recommend!

Sent from my LG G2 using tapatalk

I've had both knees done.  I was diligent with PT on the first one and had a relatively speedy recovery.

I was a slacker on the second one and the recovery took significantly longer.

Today...I would talk to NYMETSFAN  there may be other options.  You can always have surgery.

I've had both knees done, first was 30 yrs ago, other 20. Every case is different as the joint is a very complicated body part. You may be jogging in 2 days just like the aspiran commercial on TV (HA!) or many months of recovery. Just be careful and take your time in recovery, there's a fine line between a good comeback and forcing it which can set you back or make it worse. My surguries were both extensive and -trying to avoid the horror story here- I was never able to run again and am happy to be walking on sore knees most days. The shelf life of these repairs has long expired and replacements are in the near future.My advice is once you're healed keep the leg/knee muscles active and strong. Repeat- keep your legs active and strong.

Had my knee done a couple of years ago. Torn meniscus, Easy surgery. Packed it in ice for a day and used a crutch for two days then I was good. It's been pretty good since then. A little achy if I overwork it some days but the doc said that because I was compensating for it for so long it hyper extended one of the tendons connecting the kneecap so it may just be that. Might get that fixed if it gets too annoying but it's no big deal right now.

Not a lot of pain from the surgery though, didn't even need Tylenol or anything. The ice pack for the first day is the trick.

Good luck with it.

-Jim

Had mine done in 07 or 08...I forget.

Was mobile a day or so after surgery and then doing rehab by the next week.

Took a LONG time before I could put any direct pressure on it, like kneeling down on it, but otherwise it wasn't bad.  I would need to ice it frequently for months after surgery and rubbing the incision spots helped break up the scar tissue.

had both knees done. One back in 02 and the other in 07. As said before, it all depends on the surgeon and technique. First one was fairly painful recovery. Second one, I was up and walking the next day. Do the PT religiously.  

Icing the knee post op is the ticket. Keep it elevated and iced for the first 2-3 days for as long as you can stand it..

I know its late but the surgeon I used both times was at Princeton Orthopedic. Dr Jolly. Great guy with a great team down there.

Even that said, both knees are subject to arthritis now and occasionally flare up. Other than that, its a piece of cake.

Good luck!

i did my left knee twice. first when i was 17, had surgery walked out after the surgery with little pain. used crutches for a day or 2  then just couldnt walk right for a few weeks. after a few months of pt I still hurt. Went back to the dr he said to give it up to a year before we look into it again. The  pain never went away went back and he said there was still stuff in it and needed to do it again. At this point i went to a different dr and had him check out the mri's and such. Had the new DR do the next surgery and did my therapy was perfect after about a year. Little bits of pain sometimes but nothing major. The second surgery was about 7 years ago now and no problems or complaints. My suggestion after you finish your pt that the insurance pays for go to a gym and do the same or similar stuff yourself to keep rehabbing it. 2 years after surgery i was able to run 5 miles with a just a little discomfort after not even pain. The first dr i went to was a sports dr and worked for  xxx professional teams all this awards for best orthopedic dr. But from the start i didnt get the best vibes from him, he always had college helpers look at you first then would come in the room for 2 minutes and leave. Never felt like he really cared but thought hes supposed to be so good so just go through with it with him. The second dr was an older guy and much more personal, not many assistants. He never left his assistant to do the work. Every appointment the dr came in how are you ect ect. explained everything himself that he thought and what he wanted to do. After surgery he explained it all went well and really made you feel good. I will take the more personal experience over the sports dr any time again. i just feel the sports dr didnt care and i was more just a number to push in and out. well anyway, i feel pretty much fine now.

I had my right knee done 17 years ago, to much was damaged so the DR just removed the free floating bits and cleaned up as much as possible. The surgery was supposed to be in and out but I don't do well with anesthesia so I stayed the night. After 1 week on crutches I was already waking on it. Surgery was nice and easy then so I am sure now its even better. Good luck and stay away from the pain killers as much as possible! 

I am talking to a Dr. Hutter at the center of orthopedics in west orange, alot of people recommended that place. Surgery is supposed to take place late may so I have time to change my mind.

Nymetfan, that looks really interesting if I could do that I would, were would I go to find out if that's good for me im in north bergen area and im wondering if my insurance will cover that procedure, im with atena. You can pm me, I really would like to know more before I do any cutting...

This guy is the best of the best. I had my meniscus done years ago by someone else but now I'm almost due to knee replacement. He'll be the guy....

Nothing to be scared of for just the Orthoscopic stuff. Harly any scarring or anything after awhile. Just 3 small holes. But Hartzband does it all...

http://www.hartzbandjoints.com/

I am talking to a Dr. Hutter at the center of orthopedics in west orange, alot of people recommended that place. Surgery is supposed to take place late may so I have time to change my mind.

Nymetfan, that looks really interesting if I could do that I would, were would I go to find out if that's good for me im in north bergen area and im wondering if my insurance will cover that procedure, im with atena. You can pm me, I really would like to know more before I do any cutting...

will PM you now with info

Had both knees done. Meniscus shaved in both, torn bit removed in one when I was a teenager. First one they wheeled me out had me rest a couple days then PT and crutches. Second one they had me walk out on a single crutch regardless of pain and PT started sooner. I got good PT, unfortunately the place doesn't exist anymore (owner was more concerned with being good than making money). Gave me a bunch of exercises, and some general things to do different with how I walked, lifted things, etc. PT get you better. Following their advice and keeping up with maintenance keeps you well.

The doctor said I might have to have it done again in 10-15 years. I'm at 25 on the first one, not quite 24 on the second one. Lots of martial arts and hiking on them. It took about seven years to not have noticeable weird numb spots on my knees around the incisions and opposite (mostly) them. Weather changes hurt a bit frequently for the first 3-5 years. They still hurt randomly, and much more so, but less frequently. Been back to an orthopedist twice when it felt bad enough to think I messed something up again, and nothing wrong.

Only thing of note was that my doc chose a general anesthesia because he preferred that squeamish people not F up his work and you don't know how bad you'll be until you've been through it.

I had surgery for a torn meniscus about a year ago.  I had developed sharp pain on the inside of my knee that mostly prevented me from running.

At first I was adamant about resisting surgery.  I went a couple of months trying to work through it.  But another doctor explained to me that the torn piece of cartilage was folded over, causing it to pinch, "like a hangnail in my knee" in his words.  He assured me that he could do the surgery on a Friday morning, and I would be back at work on Monday. 

I walked out of his office after the surgery, and spent a relaxed, pain-free weekend on my couch.  A couple of days later I got on a stationary bike.  By Monday, not only was I back at work, but without crutches or even a cane.  My employees were amazed!

The next day I was on the elliptical trainer, and a couple of weeks later I was running again without pain, albeit slowly.  It's been fine ever since, and I'm back to a full schedule of running and racing.  Oh, and of course shooting.

Hope yours goes as well.

I had surgery for a torn meniscus about a year ago.  I had developed sharp pain on the inside of my knee that mostly prevented me from running.

At first I was adamant about resisting surgery.  I went a couple of months trying to work through it.  But another doctor explained to me that the torn piece of cartilage was folded over, causing it to pinch, "like a hangnail in my knee" in his words.  He assured me that he could do the surgery on a Friday morning, and I would be back at work on Monday. 

I walked out of his office after the surgery, and spent a relaxed, pain-free weekend on my couch.  A couple of days later I got on a stationary bike.  By Monday, not only was I back at work, but without crutches or even a cane.  My employees were amazed!

The next day I was on the elliptical trainer, and a couple of weeks later I was running again without pain, albeit slowly.  It's been fine ever since, and I'm back to a full schedule of running and racing.  Oh, and of course shooting.

Hope yours goes as well.

Wow! That sounds great! I looked into the regenex they don't participate with my insurance for that treatment, too bad I would have liked to try that procedure.

I appreciate everyone's input and advice I feel a little better about going in doing what I need to do. After you guys did this surgery were you guys on any medications?

Wow! That sounds great! I looked into the regenex they don't participate with my insurance for that treatment, too bad I would have liked to try that procedure.

I appreciate everyone's input and advice I feel a little better about going in doing what I need to do. After you guys did this surgery were you guys on any medications?

Uh yea. That's the fun part. First one I was on Vicodin for a week. Second time, 2 days. You'll want some pain meds just in case. Ice works miracles for the first few days, but directly post op, when the nerve block and anesthetic wears off, you want to be ready....trust me...enjoy the diversion..