Old Glock guy

Bug out bag dilemma

With the revival of the BOB thread, i am reminded of a dilemma that I had been meaning to discuss. While this topic is related to the other, I believe it might merit a separate discussion. My concern is this:

Like many of you, I have assembled a 72 hour getaway bag (actually two, as I have one for my GF as well). I've read articles and watched videos, and have bought a couple of nice bags and lots of cool gear. I believe it is generally acknowledged that one should buy top quality items for a BOB, since one's life may someday depend on them.

The problem I see is that all of that expensive gear is in a couple of bags that it is extremely unlikely that I will ever need to use. I mean, I agree with the concept that we should be prepared for a worst case scenario. But if one were betting, the odds on ever needing to bug out are extremely low, even if there is a major natural or man-made disaster. I'm reluctant to break the gear out and use it, as the premise of a BOB is that it should be ready to go at a moment's notice. But it pains me to see all that good gear just sitting there, with little likelihood of ever being used.

Anyone have any thoughts on that?

Use the gear --  my bag gets used whenever I go camping -- I just remove what I don't want with me for that weekend 

once I'm back it goes back to bug out mode

I'm actually in the process of switching packs -- just picked up an eberlestock gunslinger new with tags locally for $150

that pack will serve multiple rolls and I'm looking forward to trying it out

If you want to get some use out of those things

Use the gear --  my bag gets used whenever I go camping -- I just remove what I don't want with me for that weekend 

I'm actually in the process of switching packs -- just picked up an eberlestock gunslinger new with tags locally for $150

Exactly what I was going to say.  I bring most of the supplies for camping anyway, and you just put the rest back in afterwards. 

For some things, you may need to keep replenishing your supply after outdoor use (firestarters, paracord, etc..) but the most important things (knife, bag itself) should just need regular maintenance.  

Tell that to all the people who were stuck on 195 in that big snow storm we had a couple years back.

if you're referring to the day-after-Christmas snow storm, anyone who got caught out in that was an effing moron.

Tell that to all the people who were stuck on 195 in that big snow storm we had a couple years back.

a couple years ago? try that surprise storm this past year. between elmer, and deptford, i saw no less than 8 wrecks, and there was no help to get to them. imagine being stuck on a 10F degree day, your car won't run, and you've got nothing but the clothes on your back. no thanks....i keep plenty in my vehicles.....eSPECIALLY when it's cold

But it pains me to see all that good gear just sitting there, with little likelihood of ever being used.

Anyone have any thoughts on that?

I look at it like life insurance.  I never want to use either one.  If that BOB sits in the closet unused for the next 40 years it is absolutely the best outcome I could hope for.

Once or twice a year some friends and I go out camping with only what is in our BOB. You will learn allot about what you need and what you don't need in your bag and you will also learn what survival skills you are good at and what you need to work on.

BOBs are nice, and some money and gear should be gathered... think of the 5, 10 or 15 Cs...  However, for most, a Get Home bag is probably a more practical thing, unless you live in an urban environment, inner-city, etc.   For the most part, you can get the 5-15 Cs (see Dave Canterbury) covered with a lot of inexpensive things around you on a reasonable budget, or you can go and spend lots of money and get lots of cool gear.  Cover the basics!  Having lots of cool gear is, well, kind of cool, but having the best isn't always really the best.  For example, you can buy a $200-300 knife, but maybe  a $70 knife will do 85% of what the more expensive knife will do.   Or, you can go and get a few firearms, and not stock up on necessary ammo or training because you invested in the firearms, instead.

As with everything, you should most likely want to proceed with moderation.  If you are lacking enough food for say 3 months, and/or some water, then those should be a priority.  Although, if you are living in a big city a bug-out bag is quite important.  For me, bugging out would be a last resort, with children, etc. Might I ever need too?   Maybe, but for me, bugging in seems more of a chance, and that is where the get-home bag comes into play. 

Hey everyone, thanks for the replies.  A few comments:

I think you are referring to a Get Home Bag, which is another whole thing I need to work on.

Well, I'm not really into camping, but I would like tor try a night or two in the woods with my BOB to see if I really have what I need, and how well the stuff works.

Are you buying cheap firearms for home defense? How about a cheap fire extiinguisher?

There is a very low probability that you wil ever "need" either of them but if I did, I would want the best and most reliable ai could afford.

I get your point, but at least with firearms, I can take them out and shoot them for fun.

I look at it like life insurance.  I never want to use either one.  If that BOB sits in the closet unused for the next 40 years it is absolutely the best outcome I could hope for.

Yes, that's a good way to look at it.  I often compare preparations to my disability insurance, on which I have been paying for almost 35 years, and I'm quite thankful that I've never needed to collect on it.

Once or twice a year some friends and I go out camping with only what is in our BOB. You will learn allot about what you need and what you don't need in your bag and you will also learn what survival skills you are good at and what you need to work on.

If you wouldn't might my tagging along, I might like to join you guys sometime to see how it works out.  (See my note above.)

As with everything, you should most likely want to proceed with moderation.  If you are lacking enough food for say 3 months, and/or some water, then those should be a priority.  Although, if you are living in a big city a bug-out bag is quite important.  For me, bugging out would be a last resort, with children, etc. Might I ever need too?   Maybe, but for me, bugging in seems more of a chance, and that is where the get-home bag comes into play. 

I'm with you on that.  In my suburban area, I'm hard-pressed to think of a scenario where bugging out would be better than sheltering in place, 

hence my original question.

Most gear is awesome, but over-rated.  For example, you can buy a nice gassifyer stove for about $100, or make one for about $5-10 dollars.  Would the $100 have more convenience and be well made?  One would hope, but the $5-10 one will boil water and cook.  Knowledge and use know-how and the ability to use things, cans, etc. to help with survival is equally as important as expensive gear.