Candyman87

Learning to reload/How did you learn?

Hi guys! I'm looking to learn to reload so I'm actually taking an NRA Metallic Reloading course on Sunday. 

I'm just curious, how did everyone here learn to reload?

Formal training? Handed down tools and knowledge? A video, a book and a large cajones? 

Would you offer any advice for a newbie? Anything to read/watch before the course?

I lurked on the forums for a while, googled any questions I had, asked on here, messaged members, talked to people in person, etc. 

Plus I bought a load manual, which makes it pretty simple. If you follow the directions exactly you should be okay. I also watched a lot of youtube videos.

Oh, and being super-careful is good too. As far as I'm concerned "When in doubt, throw it out". If you're reloading brass, and when inspecting it you see anything that you think is odd, err on the side of caution, and don't load it. I know freedom munitions takes brass, not sure what they value reject brass at, but that's a good way to find some purpose for rejected casings.

Just double checked, they don't take bad-brass. Okay, I'm not sure what to do with bad brass then. I guess stockpile it, and eventually recycle it.

Come to think of it, what do other people do with their bad brass?

It sounds like the course might be overkill as I am pretty handy and can figure most things out.

But it's just like shooting... it's easy to figure out... while things are going right. When things don't go right (malfunctions) this is where I'm glad I have formal training. I'm also a scuba diver which is pretty easy when things go right, but I'd rather be overtrained for a situation than not.

I've gotten my hands on a load manual, and watched a bunch of YouTube videos... I'm certain I could do this without the training, but a little extra education never hurt anyone but my wallet, did it?

So why do you guys reload? Cash savings? Availability of ammo? Personal pride? Custom loads?

Started with the Lyman ABC's of Reloading and a Hornady Projector Press in 1986. Still use it.

Why did I start?  Cash Savings, Custom loads, personal satisfaction.  In the old days, reloading saved a bunch and allowed you to shoot more.  Custom loads gave you better scores.

Started with the Lyman ABC's of Reloading and a Hornady Projector Press in 1986. Still use it.

Why did I start?  Cash Savings, Custom loads, personal satisfaction.  In the old days, reloading saved a bunch and allowed you to shoot more.  Custom loads gave you better scores.

I pretty much started loading for the same reason. I'm not sure how much cheaper it really is with the calibers I shoot though. .223 is what I mainly load, and there is still some 8mm mauser surplus out there. Components are such a pain to get sometimes, it's tough to figure out if it's really any cheaper. BUT, it's a hobby, and one where I end up with something I need when it's all said and done anyway.

For me tons of reading online, youtube, plus a friend helped me out. This forum has a lot of knowledgeable people when it comes to reloading. They are a good group to bounce questions off of. I get my load data mostly from manufacturers web sites along with a bunch of cross referencing on the interwebs.

I started here, asked a few quetions, got a few answers.

Parlayed that into some additional internet research including watching some Youtube video's to further expand what was a very basic understanding.

Then I met with 2 of my friends who had different machines so that I could run through the process and get a feel for each machine and their various options as well as organizing the work place space.

Once I had made a decision on the machine and placed the order I brought some supplies I had purchased over to another friends house and he supervised me pressing out 500 or so rounds on his machine.  I did a small amount first, then chrono'd them with his machine (I still have your chrono Harry...hope all is well!) and then went back and banged out the balance.

By the time those were fired my machine came in and I set it up and got to pressing.

It really isn't necessarily that "Hard" to do, but you do need to be fairly methodical in measuring and testing.  

Dad's workshop; early 60's. Began loading paper shotshells back in the days of felt and carboard wads, and first-generation plastic shotcups. Dad drew up diagrams with cutaways of shotshells and posted them on the reloading cabinet for us with dimensions, load data and wad pressure seating for each load. All loads were from Hercules, Alcan and Winchester manuals which were available free from the powder manufacturers at the time at a local store or if you called them on the phone or wrote them a letter in the mail. (Wrote them a letter, what's that?) The internet makes things so terribly easy these days. An 8-lb. tub of both Green Dot and Red Dot were always available in that workshop. Began metallic cartridge reloading in the 70's when I bought a centerfire rifle that came with a Lee handloader, some '06 brass, a can of 3031 powder and some .30 cal. bullets. A centerfire revolver shortly after also prompted the need for more equipment. After that I read lots of magazine articles, books and reloading manuals and five presses later, I can and do make anything I need today.

Lee 2nd edition, and some really old used book I snagged via amazon that I thought was metallic cartridge reloading. It's poorly edited, but it had lots of interesting stuff in it. But the lee manual is good enough to get you going.

All of the above.

Agreed. Only when I started, there was no such thing as "availability of ammo." It was always readily available. The turn-on was bettering the factory loads and tailoring them to your centerfire arm, turning an acceptable arm into often a very accurate arm. Tweaking shotshell loads or creating ones that were not made was another advantage. The limited popularity of certain gauges (like the 16 ga. that has faded over the years,) justified my continued need to reload. Now, when ammo is not readily available, it seems I am ahead of the curve.

I have a long time friend who has been reloading for 25 plus years he got me started. I still call him when ever I need a helping hand or advice.

He told me to get a book and read it. I got the Lee Modern reloading 2nd edition and the lyman 49th edition.

many various reloading forums and websites

as its been repeated already GO slow and check and recheck and did I mention go slow and recheck?

So I took the NRA Metallic Reloading class this weekend and I have to say having everything laid out in an organized manner, as far as checking the brass, what happens during the firing cycle, potential pitfalls, etc. really brought me to have an understanding that I don't think I would have gotten from YouTube or reading reloading manuals. Definitely some of the better $200 I've spent!

I also got some hands-on time with a press with a reloading guru who makes his own match grade .308 for competition. I made a few rounds of .308 until I was comfortable with setting up the press and dies. And then I made a bunch of 9mm rounds.

So I know what I'm looking for in a kit now, and I know that if I'm going to be doing pistol loads that I'm going to want to invest in a digital scale. Since the difference between bang and (potentially) boom for some of those small loads is as small as a half grain, I'd feel better having a digital scale than a beam-type scale. 

As a new reloader, I got a bunch out of the class. But even experienced reloaders, I think, could get something out of it too! Highly recommended!

I'm just curious, how did everyone here learn to reload?

Trial and error, still have most of my fingers and one good eye.

Just kidding.

For me it was reading. There was no you tube or the internet of today back in the late 80's.

Still use my old Lee 1000, bit of a love / hate relationship, come to think of it, more of the later, but too much invested in it to go to a newer press now.

Started loading when I was thinking that a box of 9's for $10 is too much. Was reloading back then for around $6 per 100 for the 9's. Spent a fair amount of time at Hudson County Pistol range and Paterson rod and gun.

Can't say that any ammo shortage is a good reason to reload, component shortages take away from that. If you can't find ammo, you probably can't find the components like powder and primers either.

I also like loading LSWC for the pistols, puts nice easy to see holes in the paper, don't see commercial rounds like that on the shelf. Got a few questions wondering how a 9 made such nice holes. This helped in the poorly lit ranges with crappy paper targets. Pretty much had to real you target in to see what you hit with anything else.

So for me it was cost savings and loading rounds I could not buy.

I learned primarily from youtube... you really can learn just about anything on there... some books and advice from experience reloaders really pulled it all together.

Why do i do it? well when i got into it supplies were pleantyful and cheaper the long term cost savings... now... well because i enjoy it. Adds a whole new perspective and angle to shooting you don't get from factory rounds.

So I've got some cash set aside for a reloading press and other equipment. I'm holding off on buying until I can track down some Winchester 231 or HP-38 powder. I can get the rest of the reloading components, just not the powder at the moment.

Can't wait to get started!

Good luck trying to find W231 or HP38.  Very Scarce.  Unofficial channels say no stock until late 2014 or early 2015.  Time will tell.  I would move ahead and look for an alternative.  All pistol powders are hard to find right now.

Good luck trying to find W231 or HP38. Very Scarce. Unofficial channels say no stock until late 2014 or early 2015. Time will tell. I would move ahead and look for an alternative. All pistol powders are hard to find right now.

That's what I'm afraid of. My current living situation doesn't allow me to store a rifle so no sense in reloading. I'm just keeping an ear to the ground for just about any pistol powder right now.