diamondd817

Cherry Ridge (ANJRPC) Range - Big Thumbs Down

I joined this range a few years ago on the family plan. Like going there in the warmer months. But it's time for me to renew our family membership. Its $295!!!. It was only $210 for the family membership renewal in 2012!! That's almost a 50% increase in price in 2 years!! What is justifying this price increase? Nothing there has changed (and that's fine), so where is the money going? How about the range starts charging the police that come in there a couple times a week and shut down the entire handgun range or rifle range for a half a day or more. Let them cover the increased costs or whatever it is the money is needed for. Why do I have to be inconvenienced, and pay 50% more???

Rant off.

yea i didnt renew this year either. i was a member from 2008 it was 130 a year for single. i upgraded to family in 2010 and it was around 180 i believe. then went to 210 then up again now and i said nah im out. Same reason they dont change anything and up the membership..

just looked and life family is $1500 that might be the way to go if you have kids. They can go until i think 21 on a family. and thats if you plan to live here long term.

Remember that cherry ridge is more than just a range. It is an outpost way behind enemy lines. I am a life family member and enjoy going there with my kids. But the last thing any of us want is to lose this long standing bastion of our second amendment freedoms. I was lucky enough to inherit my dad's member number from the 70's. That's worth more than 3 boxes of 9mm. I don't presume to dictate how others should prioritize their resources. But I can advocate that it is still a small price to pay to maintain something that so many would rather see gone. IMHO.

I agree not sure why the costs keep going up maybe has something to do with making the head honcho a well paid salaried employee a few yrs back? Anyway i thought the membership was a BARGAIN for many yrs for what is available to use. For me fresh air, sunshine and no clock ticking over your shoulder is the way to go, fug that claustrophobic indoor shooting. BTW- what do the memberships at the premier indoor ranges go for? I used to gripe about CR but about 4 yrs ago I was able to go to a strictly weekday shooting schedule, NO weekends- and my outlook has changed bigtime as its a totally differant range.

It all depends on how much you shoot and if you have family members with you.

I took my grandson to one of the indoor ranges for an hour down the shore and bought a couple of targets and dropped $60.

I go to CR about 20X a year....There's the math.

BTW  I pay the "senior" rate.... :gaming:

BTW I pay the "senior" rate.... :gaming:

Did you modify the walker for the holster yet ole man? lol.

Miss you bud. Let's gtg when you down the shore for boating season. The usuals can all do dinner

It's not that it doesn't provide a service worth paying for, it's that there is always a reason membership goes up and that reason should ALWAYS be conveyed to paying members.

Why can it not be considered like the sign of the times? Does anyone stop buying milk or stop paying for services because of rate increases? We all bitch when things go up because thats just what they do. But it doesn't stop us from buying milk, gas, cigs if you are a smoker, etc. half the necessities in life go up and we question nothing.

As for CR, property taxes possibly? Up keep like maint?

Just saying...

We have a somewhat expensive hobby. But some of you remind me of the people who buy these $60k+ Lux Trucks then bitch about gas prices and mpg....

Sent from my iPhone using TT 2 Pro

Dues are $175 individual, $135 senior. Paying an extra $120 for family doesn't seem outrageous to me. To get value from that you have to bring a family member at least five times/year.

I go there 30+ times a year and stay about two hours each time. A couple of times last winter the temperature was hovering around zero. I love it!

30 trips to an indoor range would cost $1500, plus waiting, and the f-ing noise is unbearable. 

Shooting is an expensive hobby. But IMO CR is a bargain. 

Dues are $175 individual, $135 senior. Paying an extra $120 for family doesn't seem outrageous to me. To get value from that you have to bring a family member at least five times/year.

I go there 30+ times a year and stay about two hours each time. A couple of times last winter the temperature was hovering around zero. I love it!

30 trips to an indoor range would cost $1500, plus waiting, and the f-ing noise is unbearable.

Shooting is an expensive hobby. But IMO CR is a bargain.

I agree. Being from the burbs, going up there is a treat. A beautiful day, fresh air, no hourly is a great thing. Even if I just go to bs... Still worth it. Now more so that I don't have a gas guzzling truck any more.

Sent from my iPad 2 using T2 Pro

I agree. Being from the burbs, going up there is a treat. A beautiful day, fresh air, no hourly is a great thing. Even if I just go to bs... Still worth it. Now more so that I don't have a gas guzzling truck any more.

It really is such a lovely place. I have to take better advantage of it though, e.g. rifles, clays. One day this summer I'm going to take my (anti-gun) wife there to show her around. I think even she will be impressed at the natural beauty, and that it's not inhabited by toothless Neanderthals like me.  

It really is such a lovely place. I have to take better advantage of it though, e.g. rifles, clays. One day this summer I'm going to take my (anti-gun) wife there to show her around. I think even she will be impressed at the natural beauty, and that it's not inhabited by toothless Neanderthals like me.

They let you set off Claymores now? Wow! What a turn around in rules! ;)

But seriously, if you go weekday mornings, let me know. I'll head up.

If you can get there many times a year the price is good.. I understand it's more then what you used to pay but the price is still good when compared to ranges within reasonable driving distance. When they increased the price there was a huge discussion about it, you could probably contact Anthony from gun for hire for more details, or even search for the thread we had about it.

My friend and I were there today from 9:00 until 3:00. We hit every range while we were there. I'm sure we will be back there more since the nice weather has arrived. Definitely worth the price.

Sent from my Galaxy S4

I love it and pay the single membership. If I ever take family or a friend just pay for them for the day... I was just up there today for the Garand clinic that cost 10.00 for the day. History of the Garand lesson from a WWI Vet who is one of the coolest people I have ever met. I got to pick the brains of guys with a ton of real competition shooting experience. I was reminded again of the club feel to the place not just a range kind of thing.  For me its over an hour so when I go and shoot early and eat lunch in the club house and enjoy the place. talk to all the more experienced guys who have been in at this gun thing for a long time and get to talk on all things guns.

I did the lifetime membership and did it when I was broke. I hated getting the bill every year. I figure i'll be in NJ at least ten more years.

Now I have a young child who is about a year away from joining me. Beat the rising costs .Get a lifetime deal is the way I look at it.

I challenge the OP to find a better OUTDOOR range, for less money, within 1.5 hours of Northern NJ.

I challenge the OP to find another organization that holds a candle to the work ANJRPC is doing in favor of firearms owners in NJ.

Driving 3 hours into PA doesn't count.

Go ahead, we'll wait.

Prices have gone up, because costs of maintenance has gone up.

More ranges, with longer distances than any other club, automatic bird throwers, steel targets(in progress), and the nicest grounds of any range I've been to.

Prices have gone up because the cost of fighting for our constitutional freedoms has gone up.

Regardless, I dare you to try and find the same quality range for a similar cost.

I finally had some time to get up there today since the winter, place is looking really good. i met Scott for the first time and he's a real nice guy, sounds like he has a lot on his plate maintaining the place though, im gonna have to show up for the next work weekend to give him a helping hand.. RO's were very friendly, had a bunch of new people sign up and they were very polite in correcting the new guys.

I challenge the OP to find a better OUTDOOR range, for less money, within 1.5 hours of Northern NJ.

I challenge the OP to find another organization that holds a candle to the work ANJRPC is doing in favor of firearms owners in NJ.

Driving 3 hours into PA doesn't count.

Go ahead, we'll wait.

Prices have gone up, because costs of maintenance has gone up.

More ranges, with longer distances than any other club, automatic bird throwers, steel targets(in progress), and the nicest grounds of any range I've been to.

Prices have gone up because the cost of fighting for our constitutional freedoms has gone up.

Regardless, I dare you to try and find the same quality range for a similar cost.

I dunno, depending on traffic you can make it to CJRPC on 90min from North Jersey.  Same long range, a lot of shotgun towers, lots of pistol pits with steel plate racks, nice grounds, etc.  Oh, and it costs less.

I finally had some time to get up there today since the winter, place is looking really good. i met Scott for the first time and he's a real nice guy, sounds like he has a lot on his plate maintaining the place though, im gonna have to show up for the next work weekend to give him a helping hand.. RO's were very friendly, had a bunch of new people sign up and they were very polite in correcting the new guys.

I was there yesterday to check out the Benchrest shooters. First time in 4 yrs been there on a weekend and was suprised at the light attendence. There was the hunters & archery classes but other than them and the Benchrest guys not many others. I gave up on weekends due to the overcrowding but maybe that trend has diminished? I've known Scott since he took charge and he is indeed a great guy. Also was supposed to go today so my wife can join but we slept in after a bit of partying last night lol. Guess we'll try for the July sign up. That place is awesome this time of year!

I have never been to CR on the weekend, and all my weekday trips have been great. Weekdays, there are rarely more than a handful of shooters on any range. I don't like the yearly membership increases either, but I still think that it is worth what I pay for a single range membership for having such a nice range 45 minutes from my home.

Again, my biggest issue is them shutting down the handgun range for a half day for the police. It is done way too often during the week. If you don't go early on weekdays you probably have no idea what I'm talking about. For me its a huge inconvenience, especially since I'm a paying member and im sure the police contribute nothing.

The range hotline does announce police use ahead of time, so you can plan accordingly. They were there this past Tuesday from 8:30 to 12:30.

I know its on the hotline, I am a paying member, I shouldn't have to "plan around" non-paying non-members (police). I want to go when it's convenient for me.