diamondd817

Cherry Ridge (ANJRPC) Range - Big Thumbs Down

Here we go. I'm off Monday the 6th and Tuesday the 7th. I would like to go pistol shooting early in the morning on those days, but guess what? That's right, the pistol range is closed both days from 8:30am-12:30pm for the police. Isn't that nice.

Yes, I sent an email expressing my dissatisfaction. I'm sure it will fall on def ears. I really don't think I will be renewing my membership or donating to this organization anymore. I hope others follow suit.

Here we go. I'm off Monday the 6th and Tuesday the 7th. I would like to go pistol shooting early in the morning on those days, but guess what? That's right, the pistol range is closed both days from 8:30am-12:30pm for the police. Isn't that nice.

Yes, I sent an email expressing my dissatisfaction. I'm sure it will fall on def ears. I really don't think I will be renewing my membership or donating to this organization anymore. I hope others follow suit.

Ummm, by any chance, did you check the online schedule? If so, how can you complain?

Ummm, by any chance, did you check the online schedule? If so, how can you complain?

Yes I did. How do you think I know I can't use the range Monday or Tuesday?

I can complain because I am a paying, donating member who can't use the range because a bunch of non-paying, non-donating people get to close the entire pistol range down for 2 days.

And when is the last time you seen a cop up there on a work weekend?

Yes I did. How do you think I know I can't use the range Monday or Tuesday?

I can complain because I am a paying, donating member who can't use the range because a bunch of non-paying, non-donating people get to close the entire pistol range down for 2 days.

I get it.... But people complain about weekdays, weekends, mornings, afternoons. Be thankful it's not everyday. Bad enough weekends get wiped out. Sounds like better planning is in order. Head over to GFH.... :)

PS: Complaining here gets you no where.

I get it.... But people complain about weekdays, weekends, mornings, afternoons. Be thankful it's not everyday. Bad enough weekends get wiped out. Sounds like better planning is in order. Head over to GFH.... :)

PS: Complaining here gets you no where.

I don't have control over my days off sometimes. Its just how they fall. I get the weekend, evening issue too. But why the hell do they need to shut down the entire 30 or so port range for 6-8 cops. Really, the entire pistol range? They don't do that on the rifle range.

Yeah, I could go to GFH or RTSP, but I already paid for CR.

I don't have control over my days off sometimes. Its just how they fall. I get the weekend, evening issue too. But why the hell do they need to shut down the entire 30 or so port range for 6-8 cops. Really, the entire pistol range? They don't do that on the rifle range.

Yeah, I could go to GFH or RTSP, but I already paid for CR.

I belong to both. Always need a backup plan. All I can say is biotch to the club. You are right. It's not fair.

iT WILL NEVER CHANGE BECAUSE QUITE FRANKLY THE BOARD DOES NOT GIVE A PHUCK ABOUT THE MEMBERS. They are no better then Obama and his crooked administration. There is a boat load of money flowing through that place. Do the math and you will really be pissed off. . Its another good old boys club. Only the upper echelon know where all the money goes. there is no disclosure. So clearly they don't want the members to know much. 

Let the cops build their own range or pay for the range time they use. ITS BS .

iT WILL NEVER CHANGE BECAUSE QUITE FRANKLY THE BOARD DOES NOT GIVE A PHUCK ABOUT THE MEMBERS. They are no better then Obama and his crooked administration. There is a boat load of money flowing through that place. Do the math and you will really be pissed off. . Its another good old boys club. Only the upper echelon know where all the money goes. there is no disclosure. So clearly they don't want the members to know much.

Wow, never heard 'you' say that kind of stuff. But as for the money.... I heard the same thing from someone else. May have to be my last year there. Need to find another outdoor range. Shame. I really like it there.

I'm a new member and I have to admit that it also annoys me to high heaven that the pistol ranges are closed for police this Monday. I was going to take my wife up and introduce her to shooting but there goes that idea. I also may not be renewing my membership next year. Instead my money may go to GFH.

I'm a new member and I have to admit that it also annoys me to high heaven that the pistol ranges are closed for police this Monday. I was going to take my wife up and introduce her to shooting but there goes that idea. I also may not be renewing my membership next year. Instead my money may go to GFH.

You and your wife can go to GFH for a total of 11 hours for the price of a family membership at CR. And get your ears blown out in the process. 

The Association should do a better job of informing of range closures. Really, it takes 15 seconds to cut/paste an email and send to all members. That being said, you can always call and get a recorded message, or do what I do which is have everything in your trunk just in case. I've encountered the fuzz twice and both times I had something fun to do.

Having cops shoot for free a few times a year is the price of good PR, of keeping Sussex LEO generally firearm friendly.

Not sure what you're talking about regarding the $$. I have no idea either where it goes or who gets it. I do know that I can shoot 30-40 times a year for 2-3 hours. I'll "do the math" for you: That would cost $2187.50 at any indoor range as a walk-on, approximately $2500 for unlimited membership, and $1,300+ for premier membership. That's 10-15 times what I pay for CR.

I'm not putting any of those places down! Not by any means. Just pointing out that if you don't mind the elements and you prefer not to have your eardrums blown out by eight range ninjas to your right and left unloading 15-round mags of .45 ACP in rapid fire, CR is an insane bargain.

You and your wife can go to GFH for a total of 11 hours for the price of a family membership at CR. And get your ears blown out in the process. 

The Association should do a better job of informing of range closures. Really, it takes 15 seconds to cut/paste an email and send to all members. That being said, you can always call and get a recorded message, or do what I do which is have everything in your trunk just in case. I've encountered the fuzz twice and both times I had something fun to do.

Sorry Newtonian but your point is not very valid. People are have paid for the use of the range and it's annoying and to put it bluntly unfair and not good business that the association closes it off the the paying members for non-paying LEO's. I dont think it's good or bad PR because most cops probably don't care about the PR they are just getting some free range time on our backs which is annoying since there are LEO only ranges they can go to.  The least the LEO's could do is donate some of their time back to CR and maybe hold a few free classes or something.

At least when GFH has an event it's very outreach based and I have no problem with that. I think next time around my money is going to GFH and not CR.

Sorry Newtonian but your point is not very valid. People are have paid for the use of the range and it's annoying and to put it bluntly unfair and not good business that the association closes it off the the paying members for non-paying LEO's. I dont think it's good or bad PR because most cops probably don't care about the PR they are just getting some free range time on our backs which is annoying since there are LEO only ranges they can go to.  The least the LEO's could do is donate some of their time back to CR and maybe hold a few free classes or something.

At least when GFH has an event it's very outreach based and I have no problem with that. I think next time around my money is going to GFH and not CR.

Have you ever belonged to any type of club? Do club dues guarantee 24/7/365 access? Does your bowling league guarantee that for your $50 fee you can play at 3am on Christmas eve? When other leagues are playing?

Cherry Ridge makes it very clear when it is open and when it is closed. It is open every day except for a couple of holidays and two work weekends. The pistol range is open every day except for a couple of holidays, work weekends, and about 10 mornings per year when the cops are shooting there. You can shoot to your heart's content the remaining 98% of the time. It is what it is. 

My sentiments are the same for individuals who complain that the range has too many rules: Do yourself and the range a favor and stay away. The last thing I want is someone standing 20 feet from me with a deadly weapon in his hands and a huge chip on his shoulders. 

It's a lot more then 10 times a year. Its 6 times this October alone. And that is what's scheduled. This does not include last minute closures that you only find out about from the hotline.

I wrote 3 emails complaining. I got 1 response recently. Some BS, canned response to check the schedule before coming. Wow, thanks, that really gets to the root of the problem. Also said my complaint would be fowarded to the board. Did the board address my complaint? Nope. One of the board members is a member on this forum, I'm sure he/she has seen this thread.

It's a lot more then 10 times a year. Its 6 times this October alone. And that is what's scheduled. This does not include last minute closures that you only find out about from the hotline.

I wrote 3 emails complaining. I got 1 response recently. Some BS, canned response to check the schedule before coming. Wow, thanks, that really gets to the root of the problem. Also said my complaint would be fowarded to the board. Did the board address my complaint? Nope. One of the board members is a member on this forum, I'm sure he/she has seen this thread.

I was unaware that it was that frequent. I see the six police dates in October, which is excessive, but only one in November (100 yard) and none for the next several months. 

I will email someone on the board and report back. 

Do they schedule police dates on a month-by-month basis?

Yes, it seems to be scheduled month by month. And there are days they close the range for the police without it being on the schedule. You will only know if you call the hotline or show up. I found this out the hard way. 6 days a month seems to be the average (72 days a year!). It is very frequent. Too frequent.

Got an announcement today regarding training at CR this weekend. My response:

You announce these training events, which is great.

Why not similarly announce range closings? There's been a lot of grumbling about them, particularly 6x this month alone for the pistol range.

Best regards,

The Pocono Bounty Hunter

PS I still have not heard from Scott Bach on the whys and wheres of range closings. Will post any responses here and in the "After Police" thread.

Got an announcement today regarding training at CR this weekend. My response:

You announce these training events, which is great.

Why not similarly announce range closings? There's been a lot of grumbling about them, particularly 6x this month alone for the pistol range.

Best regards,
?
The Pocono Bounty Hunter

PS I still have not heard from Scott Bach on the whys and wheres of range closings. Will post any responses here and in the "After Police" thread.

Good Job!!!

Remember when the training was free done by volunteers?

What happened to that?

Good Job!!!

Remember when the training was free done by volunteers?

What happened to that?

I didn't know that, Frank, but I'm not surprised at all. Everything today is $$$$. Let's wait to see what the powers that be have to say for themselves.

Frank, When ANJRPC had Volunteers running

the training program it was maybe 1or 2 times a year and the only thing that was "free"

was the volunteers time.

there was a charge for training.

if i recall when I took a course with them

at that time basic pistol was about $150

the volunteers did it to maintain there instructor certs as required by N-ra

Frank, When ANJRPC had Volunteers  Timerrunning

the training program it was maybe 1or 2 times a year and the only thing that was "free"

was the volunteers time.

there was a charge for training.

if i recall when I took a course with them

at that time basic pistol was about $150

the volunteers did it to maintain there instructor certs as required by N-ra

Thank you for the clarification - Old Timer

OK Scott Bach responded to me. Here's what he wrote:

I agree that 6 days would be excessive.  Please note that there are some errors in the schedule.  October 2 and 13 were in error and there was no police use those days.

We work to strike the right balance of range usage at our facility, and there are many competing goals.  We don’t always achieve the right balance, but with regard to police usage, keep in mind that (1) usage is often completed within two hours; (2) usage is not always on the pistol range, nor is it always exclusive; (3) we try to schedule police usage during low activity periods (usuallyMonday or Tuesday mornings); (4) .22 pistols can be used on the multi-purpose range while the pistol range is in use by LE; and (5) the schedule is always announced well in advance both online and in News & Briefs (we urge members to check both, and call the range hotline, before making a lengthy trip to the range).

As for 2015, the schedule is not yet finalized with regard to all usage, so the schedule should be checked early and often to avoid potential disappointment.

Not entirely satisfactory IMO, as he did not answer all my questions. I subsequently asked about mailing lists, about the possibility of announcing closings by email 1-2 days before, and was told that since the ANJRPC list has a lot more entries than the range list, the logistics are complicated. I'll leave it at that -- there's more to it -- although I'm not entirely satisfied with that answer.

All I can tell you guys is to think this issue through. I obviously am a big fan of Cherry Ridge. Even my wife likes the place, and she semi-hates guns :)

Think about the restrictions, about your options, about your hearing, about price points, and make your own decisions. I hope you'll stick with the range but if you don't I wish you peace and happiness.

I agree that 6 days would be excessive.  Please note that there are some errors in the schedule.  October 2 and 13 were in error and there was no police use those days

But we aren't going to do anything about that.

(2) usage is not always on the pistol range, nor is it always exclusive

When the police use the pistol range it is ALWAYS exclusive.

(5) the schedule is always announced well in advance both online and in News & Briefs (we urge members to check both, and call the range hotline, before making a lengthy trip to the range).

Thanks captain, but that does not address the principle of the problem which is why does the entire pistol range need to be shut down when the police use it???

Next time you need donations, ask for them from the police that have exclusive use of the pistol range they don't pay for.

I agree that 6 days would be excessive.  Please note that there are some errors in the schedule.  October 2 and 13 were in error and there was no police use those days.

But we aren't going to do anything about that.

(2) usage is not always on the pistol range, nor is it always exclusive;
When the police use the pistol range it is ALWAYS exclusive.

(5) the schedule is always announced well in advance both online and in News & Briefs (we urge members to check both, and call the range hotline, before making a lengthy trip to the range).

Thanks captain, but that does not address the principle of the problem which is why does the entire pistol range need to be shut down when the police use it???

Next time you need donations, ask the police that have exclusive use of the pistol range they don't pay for.

Mr. Bach did not address that topic. I didn't ask him. It kind of makes sense. Last time I encountered a closure, I don't remember if it was the pistol range or the 50/100 yard range, they were crawling around beyond the firing line. No comments please :)

Bach did not say this explicitly but I think the Association has some kind of implicit understanding with local police that goes back many decades. This is 100% conjecture, but to me it seems "use our range for free and in return don't bust our balls." THAT IS MY OPINION ONLY. NOT SCOTT BACH's. 

For example, if the NJSP wanted to they could patrol Cannistear road. In 40 trips to CR I've never see a cop car on that road. Or they could stop cars from PA, some of which undoubtedly contain firearms. 

AGAIN: THESE ARE MY OPINIONS ALONE.